UH-OH

/ UH-OH #1  

japody

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 4000 & 5000, New Holland TN65, Mahindrda 2516
I was bush hogging with the Ford 4000 this afternoon when I think the clutch tanked. I pushed in the clutch, put it in reverse, let the clutch out and her a pop. Tractor started backing up, but when I pushed the clutch in again, nothing. Tractor kept backing up so I had to cut the tractor off in order to stop. I was able to get the gears in neutral and start the tractor again. Pressed the clutch in again and still nothing. It's a 4 gear with hi & low range setup. Sounds like it's going to be expensive. Any thoughts?

/ UH-OH #2  
Not familiar with the 4000, but maybe a rod connecting pedal to clutch broke.

Bruce

/ UH-OH #3  
Not familiar with the 4000, but maybe a rod connecting pedal to clutch broke.

Bruce

That would be my thoughts, the rod that connects to the throw out bearing?

/ UH-OH
That would be my thoughts, the rod that connects to the throw out bearing?

That's what I was thinking, but I was hot, sweating, it was getting dark, and I had a long walk back. I'll look at it in the morning.

/ UH-OH #5  
That's what I was thinking, but I was hot, sweating, it was getting dark, and I had a long walk back. I'll look at it in the morning.

Yep, best tackle it when you are fresher.

/ UH-OH
Tried adjusting the rod to the clutch. No dice. Called mechanic - said it sounds like the throw out bearing. There goes the piggy bank.

/ UH-OH #7  
Sudden failure like that is unusual ... typically you hear them going a long time before anything self destructs... Not particularly familiar with the 4000 but sometimes a leg can break off the clutch bearing release fork, of if the fork is pinned the drift pin can break ... can be pretty rusty in there sometimes. Although ... kind of a moot point ... still has to come apart.