Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #11  
Bobcat manual:

1, Fuel must not contain more than 5% biodiesel (B5)
2, Biodiesel (BD) may cause plugged fuel system in cold temps
3, BD is an excellent medium for microbial growth
4, BD may result in premature failure of fuel system components
5, With BD, you may have to replace the filters more often

After many more........"Note: Biodiesel blend fuel does not have long term stability and should not be stored for more than 3 months."

Last edited:
   / Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #12  
You could also put in a quart of ATF about every 20 gallons.

Ralph

No. No, no no...

Do not do this. This is advice from the 70's and 80's when fuel and diesels were much, much different.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #13  
<snip>

However, if I had to choose an additive without the benefit of a Distillate Fuel Laboratory Report or HFRR test, I would select Opti-Lube XPD. Based on my research, it's clearly the best ULSD additive for my European diesel engine.

What research? Do you have and can you provide links to independent studies? I had been looking into it since before I bought my soon to be turned in 2009 VW TDI. It seemed that all reports led back to one small study. Now I'm about to buy a Ford Transit Connect diesel and will still need additives.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #14  
As far as additives from the limited information available the Opti-Lube seems to be one of the better,
also the 2-5% bio-blends seem good,
then there is always 2-stroke oil

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #16  
oh my gosh................I had no idea that BD was so volatile and concerning with fuel systems - I have no idea the concentration amounts of what they purchased either - I am sure the station was getting a price break on it and charging the upper price of regular #2 D. good lord I wish we had known it was so unstable and didn't store for long periods not to mention that the station didn't bother to tell anyone until we started having problems and started asking questions.

And yes from my own non scientific research - school of hard knocks, I can attest the it will clog up a screen in a galvanized funnel, it will clog up filters on a tractor, it will jack up your fuel system to the extent that the screen in your sediment bowl will get the white/creamy slimy stuff on it and fuel will not pass - and your tractor will die over and over and you have to keep cleaning it out - we finally drained the tanks on the 560 and the white and put in fuel from another station - I don't know if it was some sort of slimy mold or what but it was bad - guess what I so now before I fill up my diesel cans!!! due to my scientific research I go into the station ask them what kind of fuel they are selling and then still fill with caution. sheesh.......

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #17  
Are the people that use Bio-D the ones really going through a bunch of fuel and they get it cheap?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #18  
I've run some B20 in my pickup and I have had the B5 in my tractor tanks.
I had no problem with either fuel, the B5 was a 250 gallon lot into my summer fuel tank, it lasted the better part of two years.
The B20 was in a 2015 RAM Eco-diesel and it was only two tanks full as I got it traveling, the truck ran fine with it.
Bio fuel should be meeting ASTM standards if you were getting paraffin or glycerin the fuel wasn't of the proper quality.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #19  
Can you buy B50 or B100 or would you get that from a supplier?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel
What research? Do you have and can you provide links to independent studies? I had been looking into it since before I bought my soon to be turned in 2009 VW TDI. It seemed that all reports led back to one small study. Now I'm about to buy a Ford Transit Connect diesel and will still need additives.

You didn't read the article on LinkedIn did you? Some references are there. Opti-Lube commissioned and published the 2014 Intertek HFRR test per ASTM D6079. The science appears to support Opti-Lube's nitrogen addition approach and the results of the 2014 Intertek HFRR test. I believe that's how they are able to achieve it - it's remarkable, in my opinion.