Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Now I'm wondering: if you left 2 ounces of 100% pure ULSD in a quart bottle for 2 months in a pickup truck, would you really be surprised to find a microbe bloom in the bottom? Would you think the 100% ULSD originally had algae in it?

Maybe there's an explanation. ULSD is hydroscopic. Hydroscopic products require care in storage and handling to prevent excessive water absorption. Microbes occur everywhere and it doesn't take much water in ULSD to give them the opportunity to establish. This is well-known. It's very likely that some of the compounds in Opti-Lube products are also hydroscopic. If so, then it wouldn't be surprising to find microbe growth in water surrounding Opti-Lube. The microbe growth doesn't make Opti-Lube "mostly biodiesel", not does it mean it has "algae in it". It means it was contaminated by water.

Btw, the Opti-Lube XPD SDS lists the product content.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #32  
interesting............:dance1:

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel
Now I'm wondering: if you left 2 ounces of 100% pure ULSD in a quart bottle for 2 months in a pickup truck, would you really be surprised to find a microbe bloom in the bottom? Would you think the 100% ULSD originally had algae in it?

Maybe there's an explanation. ULSD is hygroscopic. Hygroscopic products require care in storage and handling to prevent excessive water absorption. Microbes occur everywhere and it doesn't take much water in ULSD to give them the opportunity to establish. This is well-known. It's very likely that some of the compounds in Opti-Lube products are also hydroscopic. If so, then it wouldn't be surprising to find microbe growth in water surrounding Opti-Lube. The microbe growth doesn't make Opti-Lube "mostly biodiesel", not does it mean it has "algae in it". It means it was contaminated by water.

Btw, the Opti-Lube XPD SDS lists the product content.

Meant to write "hygroscopic", not "hydroscopic". Sorry for not correcting the post.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #34  
so how is it possible that about 8 yrs ago my aunt says hey your uncle has a fuel barrel with diesel fuel in it, do you all need it for burn piles. i said he died about 10 yrs ago and she said yes .........he was sick the last 2 yrs and confined indoors so the fuel was AT LEAST 12 yrs old minimum - I said well we could use that old fuel for brush fires etc and get rid of it for you.

Well, the 300 gallon stand barrel was 3/4 full, we got at least 200 gallons out of it. we got the fuel out and looked at it and it was that old oily diesel I grew up on - it wasn't soured or nasty and we put some in a glass miracle whip jar and it looked good, we used every bit of it in my buddies tractor and never had an issue with it, how come this new stuff is so sensitive to things or were we just lucky that stuff had been in that barrel for 12 to 15 yrs and it was still good?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #35  
The old stuff had much more sulfur.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #36  
give me more sulfur, heck I went to Yellowstone and they let all that smelly sulfur stink up the park why cant we have more in our diesel lol

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #37  
At one time they thought sulfur was a cure all.......they thought that about lead and asbestos too.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #38  
that's why we have chelation therapy it works for more than was ever originally thought

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #39  
I bought gasoline at the local Wally's. My Stihl dealer tested the gravity and it was just over 30% ethanol. He even correctly guessed where I bought it.

I think my single sourced supply is good. But, if I can't count on good labeling, how do I know I have enough lubricity? If adding some snake oil supplies the compound that is missing from my diesel that kills the shelf life, how do I guess correctly? Coin toss or children's rhyme?

I guess I should just rig up a 10 mic and 2 mic spin on and routinely polish my fuel? Maybe I add a centrifuge and a UV sterilizer? I am not sure if I am kidding or not. It is possible to add a sump, tilt my tank, and add an interval timer to a 120v or 12v gear pump.

I have never considered so much trouble but the new engines seem to be pickier. Or, fuel crappier. Or, both.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #40  
I bought gasoline at the local Wally's. My Stihl dealer tested the gravity and it was just over 30% ethanol. He even correctly guessed where I bought it.

I think my single sourced supply is good. But, if I can't count on good labeling, how do I know I have enough lubricity? If adding some snake oil supplies the compound that is missing from my diesel that kills the shelf life, how do I guess correctly? Coin toss or children's rhyme?
I would contact the TX Department of Ag and report them: Regulatory and Pesticide Feedback Form They cannot legally sell fuel with more than 10% ethanol.

Aaron Z