Unsecured hay hauling

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
chh: mostly flatbed is what i see on the hwy. not that familiar with "hay specific" trailers...if one of those trailers loses control around a blind corner @ 50mph, are you saying that unsecured round bales will safely remain in trailer?

realize transporters are concerned mostly for their load & convenience, but i'm concerned about the potential hazard of the unsecured payload to other vehicles adhering to safe driving practices on the road.
glad you have a safe record & hope it continues, best regards
btw most loads i see are double stacked on flatbeds w/o straps

Last edited:

mickeyw

Bronze Member
Tractor
1987 Renault 68-12, 1981 JD1640, 1973 Ford 3000
This is a topic that is getting more attention here in the UK by the highway authorities, so it's interesting that it has cropped up on here too.
Only last week I followed a tractor and trailer of round bales that was lurching all over the place on an undulating rural road. There were definitely no straps securing the bales, and I couldn't see any ropes either. The way the trailer was riding on underinflated tyres made me drop back just in case. It certainly didn't look safe.
I'm pretty sure from a legal perspective an unsecured load is a big no-no, whatever type of haulage or ag equipment you are using.

Kioti Dave

Silver Member
Tractor
2016 Kioti NX4510 HSTC
A rew years back a motorist nearby was killed by a large round that fell off a trailer. Always suspicious when a see a loaded trailer coming

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
I knew a guy that was killed following a tow truck. The car being towed came loose and collided with his car.
Hazards are everywhere.

Robert walker

Tractor
Kubota L3400
So, a guy named Big Bubba who has a place in rural Ozarks in Arkansas doesn’t want to offend the rednecks?

By the way, big congrats on the win v Texas. Huge.

MoKelly
That last comment was uncalled for. Made me cry, I think more because I have a lot of really good friends in the Fayetteville area and I’m still hearing it.

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
That last comment was uncalled for. Made me cry, I think more because I have a lot of really good friends in the Fayetteville area and I’m still hearing it.
Are they named Bubba.

msch2112

Tractor
JD 5105m
A good junk yard dog attorney would be all over a case like this with an unsecured load on a highway if someone was hurt or killed. Doesn't matter if cops enforce any laws or not. I wouldn't want to be the one hauling the unsecured load.

mike

NewHampJim

Tractor
Ford 555, a 64' & 74' Economy, HF Trencher
I guess it depends on the law enforcement. I know the state troopers here and the adjoining states will stop you in a heartbeat and do an inspection for loads. You might pull it off and get by with a local who couldn't care by taking back roads, but why take the chance? Just play it safe and secure the load. All it takes is one instance that you can't predict to make it a nightmare.

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
all in good fun, best humor in these divisive times is to laugh at oneself...(plenty of material on my side for that)

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150

Well - it might get worse once you guys really come to the SEC.

Arkansas, after all, hasn’t exactly been winning lots of SEC championships.

Just saying.

MoKelly

OzarkChris

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 Shuttle Cab
And those bales were more than likely secured. I don't believe I've ever seen an 18 wheeler (w/ 38 bales - typically) running down the street without straps.

OzarkChris

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 Shuttle Cab
Not really sure I'd call Fayetteville AR Rural

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
How many times have you seen Hay scattered on these Hwys? Maybe farmers and law enforcement have learned its a none issue.

etpm

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Around here there is always hay on the side of the roads, usually in the faster curves. Both small square and large round bales.

I was going to post this pic in the towing wrong section. This guy is something else. The land he farms is across from our church. I was getting ready to leave Sun after church when he pulls out on the phone as usual.
He almost came into the church parking lot due to lack of attention.
As you can see he is approaching a blind curve over the line. No the load wasnt secured but that wasnt the main problem.

View attachment 713638

My brotherinlaw runs a lawncare landscaping service. I had been on him for years about not securing his equipment. He said it took to much time.
A DOT officer got him one day and tore him a new one verbally and with tickets.
He almost had the truck and trailer towed.
Years ago I bought a big lathe and rented a flatbed truck to do the move. I hardly do anything like this so I'm always a bit nervous. Anyway, I left with the lathe way up high on the flatbed, drove a few miles, and then checked my chains and binders. Once I got on the freeway I got nervous again because now I was moving pretty fast compared to the previous 35 mph surface roads I came off of. So I pulled over to check chains and binders again. While checking a Washington State Patrol officer stopped to see if something was wrong. I told him I rarely moved large heavy loads, that the truck was a rental, and I didn't want it sliding off and killing someone. He was happy to hear that and checked my rigging. Then he was even happier and I drove off way more confident.
Eric

wwbragg

Tractor
Simplicity 3112H
In Washington state, a couple of years ago, a masonite panel flew off a pick-up and struck the windshield of the car behind. The trailing driver was blinded in both eyes. Since then, there is a heavy fine for driving with an unsecured load and extra fines if, even of secured, something comes off. The folks at the solid waste transfer station can issue a hefty fine if your load is not secured when you arrive.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I use 1-2 square bales for various uses per year.
I very rarely buy it, usually just pick it up off the side of the road. That doesn’t count the many which break apart on impact, I drive right past those

nacl9163

Tractor
Kubota L3400
My car was totaled by an unsecured (large round) hay bale. The guy was coming toward me on a bend, and I could see what was was going to happen. All I had time to do was to say "oh shit" before the bale landed on my hood. Luckily it wouldn't fit through the windshield, and the guy was only going maybe 35. He never skipped a beat and kept right on going. I was shaken but uninjured. There was no cell service, but a couple who lived near the scene stopped, and told me they'd call the police when they got home. When the cops got there, a guy in a pickup was helping me get the bale off the road. He was able to get most of the hay into his pickup, and left. Finally farmer dumb-ass arrived back. He discovered the missing bale and had come back to find it. Instead he found a summons for an unsecured load, and most of his bale gone. As is typical, the insurance payment wasn't nearly enough to adequately cover another car. The insurance payment plus a quick $6000 more got me a good replacement. Newton's First Law covers it--objects continue to move in a straight line unless an unbalanced force (strapping) acts to make them change direction. The truck turns, the bale goes straight, and somebody is injured or killed (or as in my case, damn lucky).

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
amazing incident, just the scenario i'm trying to avoid w/oncoming traffic.... @35, glad no one was hurt

greggyy

Gold Member
Tractor
Compacts
Well, here down under, you cannot even have loose tools or items in your ute tray, they all must be secured or covered so they cannot make way onto the road, we are a bit too far the other way, as some things could not come out unless you rolled & they would be out then anyways...

Items on a trailer...

Everything must be secured properly, to not do so is asking for big fines (cops look for this stuff, plus we have random pull overs), if one came off, you would lose everything if it does damage and be in jail if someone is hurt and you were careless like this...

So the answer here is, you do not see people doing this, not even on minor roads here.....

blackvette

Tractor
ford 3000
Well that is 1 person since 2010……does not sound like a big problem. It sounds like the biggest problem is you just dont like farmers……but without them, we starve. If you cant stand being around farmers, you will need to move.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
Have you tried STATE highway patrol?

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Yesterday I saw a flatbed going past me in an oncoming lane. They had at least 6-8 large square bales on the back. The “flat” bed was not flat, it was angled back about 5-10 degrees which made me do a double take. The load looked to be secured.

Then I see this moron is a Kia or Prius tailgating the flatbed. Can’t fix stupid.

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
Have you tried STATE highway patrol?
not tried State Patrol, probably the best bet for enforcement. i hesitate since they have such a challenge today in terms of funding & public sentiment. i appreciate & respect their service, so i'll hang in the shadows.
inquired w/ the countyl boys to no avail. i'm probably making more of this than necessary in these already very difficult times.

as far as the argument that farmers are being unfairly singled out in these safety comments, the last thing anyone needs is another conspiracy argument. just tying to travel safely to my place in the mts. most of the hay hauling will soon be over for the season, thankfully no incidents in my area...
maybe there are retired law enforcement forum members who could add to the discussion, best regards

Last edited:

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
Well that is 1 person since 2010……does not sound like a big problem. It sounds like the biggest problem is you just dont like farmers……but without them, we starve. If you cant stand being around farmers, you will need to move.
And that’s the whole point of this exercise. There are some folks out there who hate farmers. They want their equipment to be taxed or not even be allowed to traverse roads from field to field.
How could farming and food on the table happen if they were in charge?
The pictures and articles about improperly carted hay are real, but few and far between. Typical of people today who only focus on the small minority of the bad in a group and not the vast majority who do things right.

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
And that’s the whole point of this exercise. There are some folks out there who hate farmers. They want their equipment to be taxed or not even be allowed to traverse roads from field to field.
How could farming and food on the table happen if they were in charge?
The pictures and articles about improperly carted hay are real, but few and far between. Typical of people today who only focus on the small minority of the bad in a group and not the vast majority who do things right.
any accident, farm related or otherwise, that can be prevented with a few extra precautions, is worth persuing.

Last edited:

thorn

Tractor
JD 5525, JD 870
My dad was driving to work on the highway when I full sheet of plywood came off a truck and the edge of the plywood just grazed the frame of the windshield and then went over his car. If it had hit the glass it would have probably come into the car and killed him.

Another risk is bad drivers. The other day I was heading into our small town when I came to a hill. Just as I was cresting a large pickup was just starting to pass another car coming the other way! I didn't have much of a shoulder but managed to get over into the grass and luckily the driver of this car this person was passing saw what was about to happen and moved over and the truck barely passed between us. I just got a glimpse of an old women at the wheel of the truck that seem like she was on a death wish or something. When I came into town there was a cop (from next county to the east of us) who looked like he was just getting off his shift. I told him and he said that he would call it in but she was probably in the next county by then. He made a comment about idiot drivers and headed to his house.

Tailbent

Tractor
Kubota B7500
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
This would be a better site

Tailbent

Tractor
Kubota B7500
This would be a better site if pejoratives were not used
This would be better thread if the pejoratives were left off and the discussion was about traffic safety. The comment about rednecks being a safety hazard was totally inappropriate and deserves a retraction or apology. This is a great website. Why don't we keep it civil.

repete

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
In Washington State you can license a truck for farm use, they are given a "Q" license. They give you a certain radius of use rom the farm.
It is not unusual to get pulled over for an inspection by State Patrol inspectors. When they see the "Q" they say "Oh, you are licensed for farm use, we do not inspect those". I request an inspection regardless and they are more than nice about performing a "courtesy" inspection. There was a time when the air brakes were out of adjustment and the inspector said "If you were a commercial truck I would have you park it and it would not move till it was fixed." Since I was only a mile from my destination, he sent me on my way and said to get it fixed before it is on the road again, which I more than willingly did.
I do not think farm trucks are less deadly because they are for farm use.

zdman

Tractor
Massey 1736
As a small farmer who raises cattle and some hay I always secure my load, the exception being if I am hauling on my own property or between them which puts me on a small county road for a few hundred yards at most. Equipment or hay on trailers going any distance is always secured. That being said, a well secured hay load driven over rough county roads can shift so please be careful if you are behind someone. They may have had a strap shift and not even know it. Police here typically leave farmers alone unless something looks really dangerous. People who are not raised in rural,areas often have no respect for farmers moving equipment on roads - they just want them the hell out of their way and will sometimes do stupid things to get around them. Please understand that farmers sometimes have to drive equipment on roads even if it interrupts traffic for a while. Having worked for years in a metro area, I can tell you I have seen more unsecured or poorly secured loads in trucks and trailers than I have seen in rural areas where farmers work.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
People who are not raised in rural,areas often have no respect for farmers moving equipment on roads - they just want them the hell out of their way and will sometimes do stupid things to get around them.

Not just farmers also anyone not driving fast enough to suit them, many is the time I have been passed on hills, curves or with on coming traffic simply because I was not going 5 or 10 mph over the limit.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758

This would be better thread if the pejoratives were left off and the discussion was about traffic safety. The comment about rednecks being a safety hazard was totally inappropriate and deserves a retraction or apology. This is a great website. Why don't we keep it civil.
I think a world where nobody can ever offend anybody else would be pretty boring. I see you only have 5 posts here. Give it time and you'll realize it's all in good fun (well, mostly). Or are you a person who moves into a new town and immediately starts telling the neighbors to clean up their lawns? :)

Last edited:

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
You never tied down your skid steer? It must not be worth much.
It was just maybe two years old. Hauled it from key west Florida to dekalb tx with nary a strap on it. But it was in a dump trailer so nobody could see over in it. Some ole drunk gal pulled out in front of me on 220 in bossier city, like to been El accidente' going on. Usually if we are on state trooper roads we tie.

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
Is part of it your equipment? We haul a lot of hay around on trailers built for large rounds, need to dump the entire trailer to lose a bale. But when we sell by the semi load, truckers strap them down. Our trailers handle 11 4' x 6' bales but that doesn't go far with 3,000 head.
It was a round the clock deal to keep them plenty of nutrition to handle the cold. We did it. The farthest place I couldn't mix for them so I put 16 mineral tubs in The barn. Two pallets of feed in troughs.

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540

okie dokey, guess all humor should be scrutinized these days given our culture wars...surely you didn't think i was serious?
apologize for any offense taken, beat regards
also, welcome to the forum compadre

Last edited:

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sounds good Bubba.

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Cute little dig on farmers, but I’ve seen more unsecured zero turns and improperly secured construction equipment on trucks & trailers in my area than unsecured hay bales.
Way more.
Buddy of mine is an MVCE cop and they fill the coffers with citations written to working stiffs pulling zero turns behind an F-150 a lot more than farm truck violations.
Good post ..There is always a AZZ hat in the crowd that get off on little digs..

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
I know some farmers shouldnt be on the hiway in anything more than a passenger car. Here they did away with truck inspections for farmers.
There are enough incidents without trying, shit happens, we try to keep it to a minimum. We lost a tool on a truck the other night. Not really sure what happened to it yet.

aspg4

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Fergerson 135, TYM 554
Here is your Arkansas answer for securing hay. Go to www.ahtd.state.ar.us Click on publications and scroll down to Motor Vehicle and Traffic laws & state highway commission regulations ( ACT 300) The Act 300 book is considered the "Bible" for enforcing the traffic laws in Arkansas. In the book go to page 324 and look at statute 27-35-110 and also page 322 statute 27-35-102 (b). It says nothing about hauling hay, but does state that everything must be loaded to keep any of the load from spilling on the roadway.

OP
big bubba

big bubba

Veteran Member
Tractor
M 8540
Here is your Arkansas answer for securing hay. Go to www.ahtd.state.ar.us Click on publications and scroll down to Motor Vehicle and Traffic laws & state highway commission regulations ( ACT 300) The Act 300 book is considered the "Bible" for enforcing the traffic laws in Arkansas. In the book go to page 324 and look at statute 27-35-110 and also page 322 statute 27-35-102 (b). It says nothing about hauling hay, but does state that everything must be loaded to keep any of the load from spilling on the roadway.
thank you, you're more informed than i am on this, & appreciate your way to approach the issue. would be interesting to hear from law enforcement on this overall, thx again

Ken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520,
thank you, you're more informed than i am on this, & appreciate your way to approach the issue. would be interesting to hear from law enforcement on this overall, thx again
Been living close to or at this location since 1949 and at that time maybe 20 cars a day was a busy day.
today after Big Bubba mentioning hay moving without tie straps.every trailer attached to pick up to 18 wheelers loaded without straps. saw 2 long trailers pulled by chevy truck had the last 2 bales tie strap. to keep the load from rolling off. There were about 20 trucks and an hour.
The road was widened a few years ago and now is a major shortcut to bypass the Clinton to Damascus speed traps well known to travelers through this area.
This county road speed limit was 45 and the new county Judge raises it to 55 mph and the state highway lowered it to 45 mph. so log trucks and everyone trying to complete their work schedule come this way .
But Big Bubba is correct no one uses straps.

Martin Roper

Tractor
Ford 5640 / 6640 / 7840 / 3000 MF 35 JD 2140 Aebi TT210
In the UK all loads must be secured, a lot are not and until the worst happens it is likely that no one will be prosecuted. It is always a bind (excuse the pun) to secure a load especially for short distances but the inconvenience of a load coming off or having to live with the fact that some one has been injured ( or worse ) because you couldn't be bothered is on your conscience.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
In the UK all loads must be secured, a lot are not and until the worst happens it is likely that no one will be prosecuted. It is always a bind (excuse the pun) to secure a load especially for short distances but the inconvenience of a load coming off or having to live with the fact that some one has been injured ( or worse ) because you couldn't be bothered is on your conscience.
Some people don’t care. A trucker here was going through town years ago with an overloaded log trailer when a log hit a bridge and fell off, killing a woman. Yet he still runs grossly overloaded. I won’t use him, but that doesn’t stop most people from calling him.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
My cop buddy and I both agree that over the years, when there’s an accident and between a trucker and a passenger car, 9 times out of 10, the trucker gets blamed. It’s just one of those things you have to accept if you are a trucker.

Martin Roper

Tractor
Ford 5640 / 6640 / 7840 / 3000 MF 35 JD 2140 Aebi TT210
My cop buddy and I both agree that over the years, when there’s an accident and between a trucker and a passenger car, 9 times out of 10, the trucker gets blamed. It’s just one of those things you have to accept if you are a trucker.
Tends to be the same with a sports car, sometimes justified.

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I guess, in retrospect, it doesn't make much difference what the load is. It seems clear that if you have encountered an accident with any unsecured load, you may have a rock hardened opinion about whether or not it is safe and not important. I know if I had lost a car or wife in an accident with unsecured load (could be hay, tractor, zturn, anything), I would attest to the fact that it is important and should never happen. No one could convince me that it was rare and did not matter if the load was secure or not. On the other hand, if we have never been involved or dodged unsecured loads coming off trailers, it might not seem too important or might feel it is rare. But then, this seems to be how issues are resolved - AFTER enough accidents. I don't know - just wondering - do they scale trucks hauling hay? Best Wishes