Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #61  
That last comment was uncalled for. Made me cry, I think more because I have a lot of really good friends in the Fayetteville area and I’m still hearing it.

Well - it might get worse once you guys really come to the SEC.

Arkansas, after all, hasn’t exactly been winning lots of SEC championships.

Just saying.

MoKelly

/ Unsecured hay hauling #62  
And those bales were more than likely secured. I don't believe I've ever seen an 18 wheeler (w/ 38 bales - typically) running down the street without straps.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #64  
That last comment was uncalled for. Made me cry, I think more because I have a lot of really good friends in the Fayetteville area and I’m still hearing it.
Not really sure I'd call Fayetteville AR Rural

/ Unsecured hay hauling #66  
How many times have you seen Hay scattered on these Hwys? Maybe farmers and law enforcement have learned its a none issue.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #67  
Around here there is always hay on the side of the roads, usually in the faster curves. Both small square and large round bales.

I was going to post this pic in the towing wrong section. This guy is something else. The land he farms is across from our church. I was getting ready to leave Sun after church when he pulls out on the phone as usual.
He almost came into the church parking lot due to lack of attention.
As you can see he is approaching a blind curve over the line. No the load wasnt secured but that wasnt the main problem.

View attachment 713638

My brotherinlaw runs a lawncare landscaping service. I had been on him for years about not securing his equipment. He said it took to much time.
A DOT officer got him one day and tore him a new one verbally and with tickets.
He almost had the truck and trailer towed.
Years ago I bought a big lathe and rented a flatbed truck to do the move. I hardly do anything like this so I'm always a bit nervous. Anyway, I left with the lathe way up high on the flatbed, drove a few miles, and then checked my chains and binders. Once I got on the freeway I got nervous again because now I was moving pretty fast compared to the previous 35 mph surface roads I came off of. So I pulled over to check chains and binders again. While checking a Washington State Patrol officer stopped to see if something was wrong. I told him I rarely moved large heavy loads, that the truck was a rental, and I didn't want it sliding off and killing someone. He was happy to hear that and checked my rigging. Then he was even happier and I drove off way more confident.
Eric

/ Unsecured hay hauling #68  
In Washington state, a couple of years ago, a masonite panel flew off a pick-up and struck the windshield of the car behind. The trailing driver was blinded in both eyes. Since then, there is a heavy fine for driving with an unsecured load and extra fines if, even of secured, something comes off. The folks at the solid waste transfer station can issue a hefty fine if your load is not secured when you arrive.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #69  
I use 1-2 square bales for various uses per year.
I very rarely buy it, usually just pick it up off the side of the road. That doesn’t count the many which break apart on impact, I drive right past those

/ Unsecured hay hauling #70  
My car was totaled by an unsecured (large round) hay bale. The guy was coming toward me on a bend, and I could see what was was going to happen. All I had time to do was to say "oh ****" before the bale landed on my hood. Luckily it wouldn't fit through the windshield, and the guy was only going maybe 35. He never skipped a beat and kept right on going. I was shaken but uninjured. There was no cell service, but a couple who lived near the scene stopped, and told me they'd call the police when they got home. When the cops got there, a guy in a pickup was helping me get the bale off the road. He was able to get most of the hay into his pickup, and left. Finally farmer dumb-ass arrived back. He discovered the missing bale and had come back to find it. Instead he found a summons for an unsecured load, and most of his bale gone. As is typical, the insurance payment wasn't nearly enough to adequately cover another car. The insurance payment plus a quick $6000 more got me a good replacement. Newton's First Law covers it--objects continue to move in a straight line unless an unbalanced force (strapping) acts to make them change direction. The truck turns, the bale goes straight, and somebody is injured or killed (or as in my case, damn lucky).