Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling
amazing incident, just the scenario i'm trying to avoid w/oncoming traffic.... @35, glad no one was hurt

/ Unsecured hay hauling #72  
Well, here down under, you cannot even have loose tools or items in your ute tray, they all must be secured or covered so they cannot make way onto the road, we are a bit too far the other way, as some things could not come out unless you rolled & they would be out then anyways...

Items on a trailer...

Everything must be secured properly, to not do so is asking for big fines (cops look for this stuff, plus we have random pull overs), if one came off, you would lose everything if it does damage and be in jail if someone is hurt and you were careless like this...

So the answer here is, you do not see people doing this, not even on minor roads here.....

/ Unsecured hay hauling #73  
Well that is 1 person since 2010……does not sound like a big problem. It sounds like the biggest problem is you just dont like farmers……but without them, we starve. If you cant stand being around farmers, you will need to move.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #74  
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
Have you tried STATE highway patrol?

/ Unsecured hay hauling #75  
Yesterday I saw a flatbed going past me in an oncoming lane. They had at least 6-8 large square bales on the back. The “flat” bed was not flat, it was angled back about 5-10 degrees which made me do a double take. The load looked to be secured.

Then I see this moron is a Kia or Prius tailgating the flatbed. Can’t fix stupid.

/ Unsecured hay hauling
Have you tried STATE highway patrol?
not tried State Patrol, probably the best bet for enforcement. i hesitate since they have such a challenge today in terms of funding & public sentiment. i appreciate & respect their service, so i'll hang in the shadows.
inquired w/ the countyl boys to no avail. i'm probably making more of this than necessary in these already very difficult times.

as far as the argument that farmers are being unfairly singled out in these safety comments, the last thing anyone needs is another conspiracy argument. just tying to travel safely to my place in the mts. most of the hay hauling will soon be over for the season, thankfully no incidents in my area...
maybe there are retired law enforcement forum members who could add to the discussion, best regards

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #77  
Well that is 1 person since 2010……does not sound like a big problem. It sounds like the biggest problem is you just dont like farmers……but without them, we starve. If you cant stand being around farmers, you will need to move.
And that’s the whole point of this exercise. There are some folks out there who hate farmers. They want their equipment to be taxed or not even be allowed to traverse roads from field to field.
How could farming and food on the table happen if they were in charge?
The pictures and articles about improperly carted hay are real, but few and far between. Typical of people today who only focus on the small minority of the bad in a group and not the vast majority who do things right.

/ Unsecured hay hauling
And that’s the whole point of this exercise. There are some folks out there who hate farmers. They want their equipment to be taxed or not even be allowed to traverse roads from field to field.
How could farming and food on the table happen if they were in charge?
The pictures and articles about improperly carted hay are real, but few and far between. Typical of people today who only focus on the small minority of the bad in a group and not the vast majority who do things right.
any accident, farm related or otherwise, that can be prevented with a few extra precautions, is worth persuing.

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #79  
any accident, farm related or otherwise, that can be prevented with a few extra precautions, is worth perusing.
Totally agree.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #80  
My dad was driving to work on the highway when I full sheet of plywood came off a truck and the edge of the plywood just grazed the frame of the windshield and then went over his car. If it had hit the glass it would have probably come into the car and killed him.

Another risk is bad drivers. The other day I was heading into our small town when I came to a hill. Just as I was cresting a large pickup was just starting to pass another car coming the other way! I didn't have much of a shoulder but managed to get over into the grass and luckily the driver of this car this person was passing saw what was about to happen and moved over and the truck barely passed between us. I just got a glimpse of an old women at the wheel of the truck that seem like she was on a death wish or something. When I came into town there was a cop (from next county to the east of us) who looked like he was just getting off his shift. I told him and he said that he would call it in but she was probably in the next county by then. He made a comment about idiot drivers and headed to his house.