Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #131  
Maybe Darwinism will finally catch up to him.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #132  
Food for thought...

I live in a rural area and reasonably regularly see things such as double wide, double stack hay rolls on the road through our valley secured at the front rolls and held in at the back by the ramps. I also see 45ish hp tractors "secured" with dog chain a couple times a year. Hell, I know someone who transports his skid unsecured behind a 1/2ton... he isn't a farmer. At the same time I also very regularly watch idiots tailgate or blow past both me AND high crop tractors with spray bars at 70mph along a double yellow....sometimes in fog.

My personal favorite, as a gun enthusiast/owner, was puling into the gas station by my house for a drink and seeing the un-stickered truck in the handicap spot with a loaded revolver laying on the bench seat with the windows down.

It's not rednecks, farmers, or rice burners as an individual groups. It's the people in general who fail to take in consideration how their behavior might impact those around them.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #133  
It's not rednecks, farmers, or rice burners as an individual groups. It's the people in general who fail to take in consideration how their behavior might impact those around them.
Amen!!!!
👍

/ Unsecured hay hauling #134  
Food for thought...

I live in a rural area and reasonably regularly see things such as double wide, double stack hay rolls on the road through our valley secured at the front rolls and held in at the back by the ramps. I also see 45ish hp tractors "secured" with dog chain a couple times a year. Hell, I know someone who transports his skid unsecured behind a 1/2ton... he isn't a farmer. At the same time I also very regularly watch idiots tailgate or blow past both me AND high crop tractors with spray bars at 70mph along a double yellow....sometimes in fog.

My personal favorite, as a gun enthusiast/owner, was puling into the gas station by my house for a drink and seeing the un-stickered truck in the handicap spot with a loaded revolver laying on the bench seat with the windows down.

Agree, but let me offer this. It takes a lot of effort and concentration for the farmer to negotiate narrow back roads with large farm machinery, all the while having cars coming in the other direction, swerving to miss oncoming vehicles and telephone poles to the right.

Now throw in some punk tailgating a piece of machinery like that, then being passed in a violent angry manner and given the “F…. Y…” while passing illegally on a narrow road with double yellow.

This is what you get for being part of the food producing chain so a punk like that can eat? And there a small group here that wants farmers to pay road taxes? Or not be able to travel on roads between fields at all?

/ Unsecured hay hauling #135  
Well, when driving I generally try to remember the phrase "you can't (legally) fix stupid".

Ignorance can be generally overcome with teaching, but willful ignorance (aka stupidity) can only be fixed by the individual ....or Darwinism.

On a semi-different note have a coworker who was once driving a large articulated tractor pulling an implement and had a car come upon him, tailgate him for a while and then attempt to pass ..... only to have an oncoming vehicle put the car driver into a position such that they decided to change lanes and put their vehicle between the tractor and the implement .....as they were coming up to a red stop light.

The coworker was half tempted at the time to wait until the police showed up to cite the driver (was before cell phones were so common), but didn't want to lose the additional time .... so he
ended up slowly releasing the clutch when the light changed and hoped the driver was paying enough attention to realize the tractor/implement was moving and would do the same.

In the end the situation got resolved (surprisingly without damage), but hopefully the idiot in the car isn't/wasn't inherently stupid and they learned not to put themselves between a tractor and it's towed implements (or even between two towed implements). ..though whatever could possess a person to even consider that an option in the first place is beyond me.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #136  
Agree, but let me offer this. It takes a lot of effort and concentration for the farmer to negotiate narrow back roads with large farm machinery, all the while having cars coming in the other direction, swerving to miss oncoming vehicles and telephone poles to the right.

Now throw in some punk tailgating a piece of machinery like that, then being passed in a violent angry manner and given the “F…. Y…” while passing illegally on a narrow road with double yellow.

This is what you get for being part of the food producing chain so a punk like that can eat? And there a small group here that wants farmers to pay road taxes? Or not be able to travel on roads between fields at all?
Friend... what I was saying was not meant in any way as a refutation your reasons for being pissed about what happened to you.... In truth while I had read your post, what I wrote was based on comments made earlier in the thread that leaned towards stereotyping groups of people. The valley I live in still has a large amount of family ag businesses (cotton, corn/soy, hay, cattle) and I get pissed when I see idiots getting impatient about passing farm equipment in my little stretch of paradise because it endangers everyone on the road.

Put another way, I used to work for a state agency as a marine biologist and pretty regularly used to drive older style long bed 3/4 duallies hauling either boats or carcass trailers.... wasn't oversize farm equipment or CDL level hauling but it did give me a strong appreciation for the sheer, dangerous lack of consideration that occurs on the road daily. I do understand what you are saying because I have experienced it in my own way.

In retrospect, and on a funny related note, some time before I started working for the state lab the carcass trailers being used were all open top. That stopped when someone was hauling two dead manatees back to the lab from across the state and one of them ruptured from decomp gases and apparently drenched the car that was following too closely with dead manatee juices.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #137  
Consideration is a two way street. And for information, I travel on the road with my tractors as well.
A couple years ago I was following a row of pea harvesters on a 55 MPH road doing 7 MPH. Very slow movers. I accepted that is was a farming community and that was life. I became irritated when they stayed in the lane of traffic rather than pull into a turnout area with more than adequate room for them to let the 30+ cars behind them get around. We all had to go another mile before they turned off.
Yes, I understand tractors on the road but this type of indifference above does no one any good at all.
We should all do what we can for others on the roads.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #138  
So here’s the other side of the coin. This car tailgated me down a backroad (speed limit 25) while I was roading a 200HP Massey with an 11’+ wide hay mower. The road is very narrow and there’s no place to pass. When I came to a stop sign “T” intersection, this little punk ripped around me at about 7000RPM, smoking the rear tires, then shoots his girly hand up the sunroof and gives me the finger. I was pretty whupped and not in the mood to jack with anyone.
Interesting.. little arrogant ***** are everywhere. But I think he didn't see your tractor, or the mower. He only saw something got in HIS way. "His day will come." Just smile and know that. Someday, probably soon, people won't see him, and he won't even know why. It is because he acting like a child and doing adult things (driving) and had made himself UNIMPORTANT. And as adults we know that eventually, everyone pays for their actions. Just another silly little **** that doesn't really matter in this world. Someday it will be an accident, and someone will get their boots stinking when they step on him. Best Wishes, Larry

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #139  
Oh, another thought. Several years back we had an exchange student come and live us with from Spain. She spoke very little English - mostly very broken. There were a lot of our customs she did not understand.
One day, there was an old red pickup turned the corner. He waved and I waved back. She (the Spanish student), asked - did you know him. "No." Then who was he? "Just someone probably lives around here, just being polite. Kind of a redneck.
THEN she ask "what is a redneck?" Boy I stuck my foot in that. I could only say only the truth "I am not sure that I know."

/ Unsecured hay hauling #140  
I have, in the past (not this season) put idiots in the ditch that are in a big hurry to get around me when I'm pulling wide implements. A 18 gauge coffin is no match for a 10K pound tractor pulling an implement anyway. Being courteous is a thing of the past I guess. All in a big hurry to go nowhere. I always yield to traffic when I can get off the road but there isn't always a place to get off immediately.

Last one was in a big hurry but found out there wasn't enough room on the berm to get by so he got sucked into the ditch. I did stop to see if he was okay and he was so I kept on trucking. Hope he enjoyed the wrecker bill, maybe he will think twice next time.

Like I said previously, motorists don't realize a properly placarded and illuminated farm tractor, pulling an implement or not, has the legal right of way in this state, except on a limited access highway.

Dumb and dumber..