Unwelcome House Guests

/ Unwelcome House Guests #1  

jlgurr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705, John Deere STX46
We've discovered there are bats living behind the soffit near the peak of our roof. Not sure how many but have quite a pile of dung at the base of the chimney each day. I'm thinking the best way to eradicate is to gas them some how, at least to stun them, while I pull down the soffit and remove them. Any suggestions?

image-2215537936.jpg

This one fell out early this morning. Didn't survive.

image-1677704712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Unwelcome House Guests #2  
Oh man don't kill them move them. Bats eat their weight in mosquitoes every day.
One of my farmstead goals is to establish a colony of Bats in a proper bat house not necessarily shared by me.
Bats are good.

/ Unwelcome House Guests #4  
Wish we had more bats,sure have more than enough food to feed them.

/ Unwelcome House Guests #5  
Wait until fall. The bats will move out and go to their winter hibernacula. Seal up the entrances to the soffit (clean it out). Build a bat house and place it near the old entrance. As others have stated, you should cultivate this relationship; bats are good to have around.

/ Unwelcome House Guests #6  
Do the bats have "white nose" syndrome?

When cleaning up wear respritory protection as there can be some nasties in the droppings.

/ Unwelcome House Guests #7  
I believe it is illegal to kill bats here. I have two bat houses and love having the bats here. I'll take bats over mosquitoes any day.

/ Unwelcome House Guests
Can they be "moved" to a new home? I have a bat house available but not sure how you'd put them up in it. There is white nose in the area but can't tell if they have it. I'd love to save them but they must move out this week. We have a birthday party planned for Saturday and their 'runway' is our covered deck.

I don't need to keep worrying about the twins getting in the dung pile either. They are already curious...

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Unwelcome House Guests #9  
If you know for sure where they are entering and exiting the house, wait until after sunset when they are all out then block up the hole. They'll survive and find a new place to live. Or, if you have a barn or other outbuilding you can mount a bat house. As other people have posted, they're really good to have around for mosquito control.

/ Unwelcome House Guests #10  
My suggestion is to lure them away from your house. If you have the right equipment, it should not be too hard. Put one of these in some remote location over the nearest town. Should attract them away from you.

1373505564_batsignal.jpg