Update on the tankless ele. water heater

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
Thought I'd post a little report on the tankless ele. water heater. Been up and running for 2 weeks now. It produces plenty of hot water for our usage. We now use the heater in the dishwasher that we didn't before. It sure made some extra space since the 40 gal tank is out. Checked to ele. meter reading and did a daily average. Compared to the previous month it looks like we're running about 10 kwh less per day now.

Installation was pretty easy. Had to add two 40 amp dual pole breakers. Used no. 8 copper wire and ran a no. 6 ground to the unit. Used 18" flexible stainless connectors to the hot and cold side and connected those to the existing Quest pipe. Had to drill one hole for the larger cable. Am pleased with it so far. Time will tell.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #2  
I researched the tankless water heaters last spring when I was building my pool house. After research, I went with the natural gas Rinnai. Besides saving a considerable amount of space, this water heater indeed puts all the standard tank based water heaters to shame.

When hot water is not required, it uses zero energy. When hot water is needed, it will provide plenty of hot water to run two showers at once as well as having plenty of additional hot water available to the sinks. When taking a nice long shower, you never have to adjust the water temperature like you have to do with all tank water heaters. You know, when taking a long hot shower, you constantly have to keep adjusting the temperature to keep it where you want it. This is because you are draining the stored amount of hot water in the tank and the overall temperature of water in the tank is constantly dropping. Not to mention that if you have a large family, it is quite possible to run out of hot water. With the Rinnai tankless water heater, I can take a week long shower and the temperature will not fluctuate at all during the shower. You will never run out of hot water.

I have a family of seven. In our main house, we have two fifty gallon water heaters. Even in the summer, when basically the only natural gas used is for the water heaters, the natural gas useage is high. That is because I'm keeping 100 gallons of water hot 24 hours a day 7 days a week whether I need hot water at any given moment or not. This is a huge waste of energy. This is becoming especially true with the price of natural gas going up in huge percentages.

After mentioning how much we liked the Rinnai tankless water heater we have, a business associate of mine changed his two fifty gallon water heaters to the Rinnai tankless models. He also has a large family. His natural gas useage dropped by nearly 60% the first month. Needless to say, I'm making arrangements to remove the old extremely wasteful dinosaur tank water heaters in my home and have them too replaced with the Rinnai tankless water heaters. Oh yes, besides the energy savings, the reported average lifespan of the tankless water heaters is about 20 years. Then, it is repaired, not replaced. Each component in it is easily replaced. The average life span of a standard tank water heater is 10 to 12 years. Then, the entire unit has to be completely replaced.

If you do some research, you will find that only about 1% of the rest of the world uses the extremely inefficient and wastful tank water heaters we use here in the United States. The supply house where I bought my first Rinnai this last spring told me that their sales of the Rinnai tankless water heaters has gone up over 8000% over the previous year. Yes, that is eight thousand percent. Evidentially I'm not the only person who has discovered that having a tank based water heater may be one of the biggest wasts of energy in the normal house.

The supplier even said that he is having some success in explaining to people that nobody sells a "hot water heater". Nobody needs to heat "hot" water. What you want is a water heater, not a "hot" water heater. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You may want to remember that when you call to ask about a tankless model.

Here is a pic of what the entire unit looks like. I don't know if you can see, but there is a digital panel on the left of it where you program in the exact temperature you want your water to be.

Attachments

• 529145-DSC02056.JPG
    529145-DSC02056.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 286
   / Update on the tankless ele. water heater #3  
Dargo,

How about some info on what you have there. Also, will it work with propane. I have electric 50 gal right now, got it free for switching to electric several years ago. Would like to know more about this.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #4  
DannyD, one of my first concerns was that I was buying a "new" appliance. Well, Rinnai began in 1920. For my pool house, I used the size that replaces the 40 gallon size water heater. On the yellow "Energy Guide" plastered on the front of my unit, it says that appliances similar to my particular unit use between 187 to 283 therms per year. Then is says that my particular model uses 128 therms per year. It's way off the bottom of the chart!

I don't know for sure, but I assume that they make a propane model as well as their electric and natural gas. Here is a link to the Rinnai unit that replaces the 50 to 75 gallon tank water heater http://www.foreverhotwater.com/ Since I bought mine, I now notice that Paul Harvey and many other celebritys endorse the Rinnai tankless water heaters. You should find a lot of good reading there that should answer most of your questions. They generally cost about twice what the tank unit costs. However, they last twice as long and use less than half the energy. In my mind, they overcome their more expensive initial price rather quickly.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #5  
The Rinnai will definitely work on propane. I have been talking to the plumbing guy and asked. They sell 75% propane units locally as we don't have much natural gas in this semi-rural area.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #6  
Well, it looks like the USA market is finally getting a clue. As I noted in Charolais' earlier thread on this, tankless is the standard for water heaters in Europe. When we lived there, each apt had its own unit. NG costs there are astronomical, and tankless helps to greatly control family energy costs.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #7  
Check out Takagi tankless. also very good history, warranty. Rinnai & nortiz are also good. I have a family friend who sells all three he says you get more bang for your buck with the nortiz [not sure on the spelling i know thats wrong] my plumber says he thinks Takagi is the best. all can run on NG, or propane. stay away from the small auqa star at home depot bad reports.you just have to decide on how many fixtures you might run at the same time and there total gpm's what the supply temp is and how much temp rise you want. then get the price and have a stroke you wont save any money the cost and life of the unit will off set the energy saving butt i will stay in the shower for a hour and not run out of water good luck.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #8  
Thanks Dargo and others

I am going to look into them further with the intent on replacing my electric. Initial cost would not be a concern as the savings over time and the uniqueness of it in the house would be worth it also. We are still teatering on selling/staying, but doing some things to the house to make it more livable/sellable. This would be a cool option.

With only the wifey and myself, and the daughter doing her laundry once a week, this thing would not be worked very hard either way.

Thanks again.

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #9  
My brother just installed a Takagi tankless gas water heater. He raves about it. I will be looking into one in the future.

Many years ago, I spent a summer with a family in Costa Rica. They had this electric shower head heater. It was pretty scarry having an electric wire in the shower! The only way to get any hot water was to let it dribble out of the fixture /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Update on the tankless ele. water heater #10  
What are you all paying for these?