upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter??

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
Years ago before I had my tractor, I bought a Swisher rough cut mower to pull behind my ATV to maintain areas of our family's properties. It is mostly used for the typical high grass, weeds, briars, and occasional saplings etc. It is 44" with a 12.5hp Briggs engine. It has done the job for several years and I'm sure would last for several years to come. But now that I have my tractor (Mahindra Max 26xl) I'm really leaning towards getting a standard rotary cutter to use with it instead. The past 2 years I just pulled the Swisher behind the tractor, but it feels like a redneck rig rather than a tractor with an implement, lol. I guess I need some input to justify the cost for a new rotary cutter when I already have a tool that does the job just fine. I'm looking at a standard duty 60". Besides gaining 16", not having to fuel a secondary engine, and just plain feeling more like a proper rig, is there really any advantage to the upgrade?

Before it is suggested, I really don't want to sell the Swisher to offset the cost for a rotary cutter. There are several walking trails that I maintain for hiking and hunting that the tractor with a rotary cutter would be too big for, and the 4 wheeler and Swisher mower work well for.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #2  
Buy the new rotary cutter. Just having to deal with a second engine is enough reason, besides the PTO driven cutter will do much more heavy cutting. Don't forget the 16 inches of more cut with each pass. Relegate the swisher to the ATV.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter?? #3  
I actually have a Mahindra 60" that is sitting unused. My brother had it for his property, decided that his wife would rather use a zero-turn, so he gave it to me swapping for a snow-blower. My tractor is nearly six feet wide in wheel track, and my land is very bumpy. You could take a look at it, except that I see that you are maybe five or six hours away.

/ upgrade swisher rough cut to std rotary cutter??
I actually have a Mahindra 60" that is sitting unused. My brother had it for his property, decided that his wife would rather use a zero-turn, so he gave it to me swapping for a snow-blower. My tractor is nearly six feet wide in wheel track, and my land is very bumpy. You could take a look at it, except that I see that you are maybe five or six hours away.

Thanks bud, but even though I have family right in your area, that is a little further than I would want to travel for a cutter.

I probably will just go ahead and pick one up from the dealer where I got my tractor (15 minutes away). After looking at many different manufacturers and models, I do like the Mahindra model, which is made by Kodiak like many other Mahindra tagged items. I just wonder if now would be a good time since they probably aren't moving many this time of year, or if there will be sales in the spring.