Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I've got 10 non IC cans in my kitchen. I believe the non IC refers to the fact that insulation can't cover or otherwise touch the assembly in the attic.

I know I'm losing a ton of energy through them so with a little research I found out about Tenmat covers that can be glued on top of the units in the attic. I believe you can then blow insulation over the top of them.

Not only would this stop energy leaks, I believe I might have less dust in the house as well. In my leaky brain I'm thinking that when the air on comes on, it's sucking air and dust out of these cans from the attic.

What do you think?

Also, a couple years ago I replaced the bulbs with fluorescents and they are beginning to burn out so now might be a time to switch to LED?

Anyone have some recommendations for LED floods?

Here is a video on the covers and sorry for this verbose mess!

http://youtu.be/n6CHjs8XT7Y

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #2  
The LED can light insert is super easy to install, Their real bright and come on instantly. I plan on changing out my whole house with them.

What's nice about them is they don't emit heat.

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #3  
We went with Cree brand LR-6 LED can lights.......WAY WAY superior to florescent. Instant on, BRIGHT (like knock your eyeballs out bright), warm light instead of that crappy blue, and about 1/3 less watts to power them.

Only downside is they are dang expensive initially, though they have come down. The 800 lumen bulb is about 40 bucks now, it was $60 a couple years ago. But if you factor in 50,000 hour life, and the energy savings, they are the cheapest bulb out there.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/search?category=11165&filter[Downlight+Diameter+%28Inches%29][0]=6&sel[Downlight+Diameter+%28Inches%29][0]=6&sort=price_a&so=1

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #4  
+1 on the can inserts. We used 6 to upgrade the front porch lights. We picked them up at a big box store for $18 and change each. They came with an adapter to screw into the old socket and the lamp assembly replaces the old trim ring. Easy to seal around, so no more wasps or mud dobbers nesting in the can light recess!

Nick

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans
The LED can light insert is super easy to install, Their real bright and come on instantly. I plan on changing out my whole house with them. What's nice about them is they don't emit heat.

If they emit no heat I wonder if is OK to blow insulation on top the cans in the attic? Not having to spend an additional $20 for each can's top hat would save time and money.

More reading!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #6  
I just bought a 2-pack of LED bulbs at Walmart for $5.84. They are supposed to replace 60W filament bulbs but they are MUCH brighter. The package said 800 lumens and 6000K color temperature along with "Daylight". They are that! They were too bright for the bedroom overhead (my intended use) so I tried one in a down-light over the kitchen table. Still too bright. They work great in shaded lamps but I still have some good CFLs working there. I took them out to the shop. Perfect in a few dim areas there. :) I'll go back and get more at that price but go for a lower lumen for all but reading lamps.

LED bulbs do emit heat. Just not nearly as much as filament bulbs. I forget what the actual wattage was but they can't be much. After using/testing the LED bulbs in several locations and burning for a few minutes in each, I could unscrew the bulb and feel only a slight warmth. You sure couldn't do that with regular bulbs. :shocked:

LEDs are really coming down in price and the products are getting better and BRIGHTER. Try a couple of different lumen/color temp bulbs before filling all the sockets. 5000K is a warm white while 6000K is like the sun.

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #7  
We put these throughout our new house when we built it last year: Utilitech at Lowe's

We got the 5000k/daylight color because we like the white light better. They are great! Super bright, come on instantly, 'plug and play', no need for a trim piece, and a decent price. Out of 50+, we've had 1 die, which I can replace for free due to the 5 year warranty.

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans
I've moved this project back on the front burner.

Anyone else have some recent experience they would like to share?

I like the appearance of the flush looking units that you replace the old trim ring with but I would have to make sure the ring is at least the exact same size so I don't have to touch up any paint.

I've also seen flood like bulbs that you simply screw in like the incandescent and fluorescent types.

Thanks for any advice!

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #9  
I installed 2 of the LED retrofit can lights in my sons bathroom. They seem to work, that's about all I have to add.

/ Upgrading can lights ~ LED ~ also project to insulate these leaky cans #10  
I've been using the LED replacement lights in bathrooms where the original spotlights would get so hot they would turn off until they cooled off. Now that's all I use when remodeling a home. No heat issues and hopefully, you will never have to replace them.