UPS question

/ UPS question #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I think I am going to fix this problem by just uninstalling the software, but I though I'd ask the question anyway. I just purchased a new UPS (uninterruptible power supply, not a delivery company) which came with software that is apparently supposed to do some great things if the power goes down. All it has done for me is to unpredictably hog the CPU resources. The machine (running Windows XP) slows down to a crawl. CTL-ALT-DEL shows mainserv.exe using 95 to 98% of the CPU time. Stopping the process clears up the problem. Has anyone else had the problem? How did you fix it?

/ UPS question #2  
I'd tear it out of there... I doubt it offers much help, anyway. Problems from windows shutting down abruptly are very rare...

/ UPS question #3  
Uninstall it and just use the UPS software built into XP. That is what I do.

/ UPS question #4  
I have an uninterpretable power supply and it came with only instructions to plug it in for 24 hours before using. No software. I can't see how any software can control a box of batteries. I would just dump the software. In fact, it might be easiest to just do a restore to the time period prior to installing the software. Got to run.... the power is to be turned off in the next 2 minutes due to a thunder storm over Ohio.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ UPS question #5  
I install these in lots of offices as a part of our installs. I do NOT put the software on the computer, for this and many other reasons. Make sure and charge the battery fully and plug the computer in the side that has battery backup........not the protection side only. With any luck, it will never be needed.

/ UPS question #6  
I used to have a Tripplite UPS and now have an APC UPS. Both of them came with software, which I installed. Now being something of a computer dummy, I don't know what the software does except if the power does not come back on within X minutes, it shuts the computer down. I have no idea how much of my computing power is used up by that software, but I've had no problems or noticeable slowing down.

The only problem I had was that the Tripplite didn't actually come with the software, I had to go online to download it, then when I upgraded to a later version of Windows I had to call them and download a different version. I had bought the Tripplite unit online, and when it died after about 3 years, I bought the APC unit at CompUSA.

/ UPS question #7  
I agree with the above posters -- either remove the software or "restore" to the point before you installed the software (the better choice IMHO).

I've got UPSs on all of our computers at our office and home, and have had various brands over the years. I used to install the software (many years ago) but found it unnecessary, besides the occasional problems caused.

If power goes down typically an alarm sounds and your computer stays on.

It seems that if power goes off, we know about it (all the lights going off is the first indication) and would know even with out the buzzes and noises the UPSs make. If power stays off for 10 or 15 minutes we'll shut down our computers. All the times I had used UPS software, there never was an instance where we needed the computer to shut down by itself.

I used to keep an extension cord and run it to our phone system from the closest computer UPS when power was out, but I've since just given the phone system its own UPS.

As was mentioned, sudden power outages aren't as harmful to XP computers as they used to be. If your computer is going to be on, and you wouldn't be around to notice if the power died, it still wouldn't be worth the hassle the software is causing you now.

Phil

/ UPS question #8  
I use an APC Backup Pro that came with the software. I charged it, plugged everything in without installing the software and have never had a problem with it keeping me on-line when a power failure occured.

/ UPS question #9  
<font color="blue"> I can't see how any software can control a box of batteries. </font>

Junkman,

The only thing the software does is to monitor the UPS discharge level. It tells the PC to shutdown when the UPS is about to give up the ghost.

Although in theory it is a nice thing to have, I have many UPS’s here and don’t run the shutdown software here on any. Anything beyond win 98 can handle an occasional crash every now and then.

Gary