UPS (uninterrupted power supply)

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Is anyone using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on their coal or pellet stove? If so, what kind and how's it working out?

Dave

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #2  
What will it be running? Thermostat and fan?

No coal or pellet stove but I've got three in my office for:
(1) TV, speakers and satellite box,
(2) PC w/speakers,
(3) Two printers and charging strip for phone and miscellaneous equipment.

The first two are 600 the last is an old 850. All are APCs.

I have a 7500w out in the shed that came from a Data Center auction. It's not hooked up to anything at the moment. The batteries are surely toast by now, but it was working just before disconnecting. I was hoping to run some circuits in the house with it but no convenient place to put it. With batteries, it's about the same size as a generator of the same wattage.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #3  
Was using 1500VA APC unit, it wasn't pure AC sinewave UPS. Motors sounded funny running on it. Would power stove 12min or so, beeps when AC fails. Gave me time to drag out 1000i HONDA generator (runs about 7 hours/tank of gas) Abou $200 for UPS, $1000 for Honda. Used the APC unit 6-7 years, still works, about time for new batteries.

Updated for this year, Ecoflow pro max solar gen. Switch over isn't fast enough to be called a UPS. They call it EPS (emergency power system). Weighs 100#, 3600watt battery runs my pellet stove 24hrs. Can recharge with AC or solar panels.

If solar sounds good, this gen has a max 150v DC input, 1600watts. Recommend 300-400 watt panels. Watch youtube videos on panel wiring, exceeding input voltage will damage generator. Videos I've seen on over-powering (ex 2000watts vs 1600) 2000w = more amps, gen will only pull 1600, 400watts wasted on sunny days (like plugging 5amp toaster into 15amp outlet)

Warning Solar isn't cheap. Worry about solar panels next year. If you choose Ecoflow, they have a gas generator that the solar gen can start/stop to recharge battery.

Last edited:
   / UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #4  
If you are thinking solar, both Tesla and Generac offer solar battery systems to power more of your house all the time, and the latter has built in support for a generator to power the house/charge the batteries. Neither is cheap in the short term, but can be cheap in the longer term. (We were net positive after a little over five years.)

Square wave and modified sine wave tend to be quite hard on motors. I would look for a "Pure Sine Wave" UPS. I added extra batteries on some of my UPS units for longer run times. You can't go too wild with the extra batteries or the UPS won't be able to get the batteries charged. (Before adding whole house batteries, I had some low draw electronics that I wanted to stay up for the duration for things like phone and internet access.)

All the best,

Peter

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #5  
I don't know the draw of a pellet stove, but would have thought a 1500VA APC would have run it longer than 15 minutes, but then again, it's probably not the VA that's the issue, but capacity.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #6  
Is anyone using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on their coal or pellet stove? If so, what kind and how's it working out?

Dave
Wow, I have been talking about getting one for our pellet stove. I was able to find the "starting watts" and "running watts", 425W and 70W respectively.

Then researching the UPS backups, a 1000W unit will allow 2 starts, or run the unit for about 8-10 minutes. Depending on the use you need it for, even the small 4-500W units will buy you some time.

Ours has a programmable timer that we use at night, turning the unit on / off 3 times during the night. If power goes out, the timed programming is lost.

I want to just keep the stove going until I can shut it down manually while I dig out the generator. Most UPS give an audible "beeping" when the power goes out.

I've narrowed it down to a 9-1000w, for my needs, this size would work.

Last edited:
   / UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #8  
Then researching the UPS backups, a 1000W unit will allow 2 starts, or run the unit for about 8-10 minutes. Depending on the use you need it for, even the small 4-500W units will buy you some time.
I had a 600W UPS powered by a little 12 volt battery for the TV and DVR. Removed the battery and wired it to a deep cycle 12 volt RV battery.

It would power the TV for several hours.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #9  

A killawatt meter will help evaluate power needs fridge, pellet stove, ect. Max watts = surge demand to start stove (igniter). If you run it awhile (4, 8, 24hrs) divide total watts by hours to estimate continous power demand for stove. The pellet stoves I've owned can be run in an on/off mode like a gas furnace or a high/low mode where it's always burning.

Bigger battery, if using lead acid it needs to be a sealed battery. Vented batteries give of hydrogen gas as they charge. Lead acid are drained down to 50% of rated capacity to avoid damaging battery. Lithium ion batteries {although rare} can catch on fire (banned from airlines).
Lithium iron phosphate LiFePO4, safer to use in home and has a long service life

Zendure Portable Power Station | SuperCharged has a semi solid state battery option that looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/videos several informative videos on solar power

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #10  
Pardon my ignorance, we use a wood burning stove not a pellet stove. Why not just let it sit for the few minutes it takes to get the generator going?