US Hwy 1 how things have changed

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #41  
Had a guy in a Cadillac pull up behind me at a light yesterday, cell phone in left hand glued to his face, right hand busy picking his nose.

Friggin Cadillac should have Bluetooth.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #42  
Had a guy in a Cadillac pull up behind me at a light yesterday, cell phone in left hand glued to his face, right hand busy picking his nose.

Friggin Cadillac should have Bluetooth.
I have that in both of my pickups. I got each of them secondhand... I hope that nobody used the Bluetooth to pick their nose. :eek: 😆

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #43  
Just adding to the problem - Now they're pushing to allow 19 y/o's to get commercial driver's license. Will we be seeing 18-wheelers drag racing or drifting now?

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #44  
FYI - Here's a picture just off of Hwy 20 (Diablo Dam - wife and I, and the mutt, took a trip through here a couple years back and I snapped this pic):

Attachments

• Scenery.jpg
    Scenery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
Great shot but those power lines ruin it for me. I'd have to photoshop those out to enjoy the pic.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #45  
Just adding to the problem - Now they're pushing to allow 19 y/o's to get commercial driver's license. Will we be seeing 18-wheelers drag racing or drifting now?
Horrible idea IMO.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #46  
Contractors live by their phones!
Problem often is small ones quite often drive older PU's and many don't have blue tooth so they have no choice but to use hand held.

Our local snow contractor has a well maintained fleet of plow trucks but none have blue tooth and I assure U he does not stop to text or phone.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #47  
There have been many times that I thought about how amazed my father would have been if he ever saw a cell phone. He passed away in 1986. He would have thought "What a gift and What a tool." The ability to contact our family or get help is fantastic. It makes me sad that such a wonderful tool has been turned into a toy - for games and enterainment. It is like our life was empty and we have to have a phone to fill it. Terrific tool, now a tool and marketing outlet. I know texting is against the law in some places. I have seen this many time. Never seen someone being pulled over for it. I was ran off the road to avoid a lady texting hitting me. She did stop and apoligize - I only said "That is ok, hope there is a lesson here." My wife told me "OK, I've had enough "off roading" for today. we were in our Jeep Wrangler.
The big advantage of the cell phone laws is that if they get into an accident, they are automatically at fault because they were driving illegally. That doesn't help a corpse, but for anything else their insurance will pay through the nose. If they have insurance.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #48  
FYI - Here's a picture just off of Hwy 20 (Diablo Dam - wife and I, and the mutt, took a trip through here a couple years back and I snapped this pic):

Attachments

• Scenery.jpg
    Scenery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
It gets my vote for the most scenic highway across the Cascades. The Needles at Rainy Pass are amazing.

I use my cell phone for entertainment on long drives. I use bluetooth earbuds to listen to music or audio books, so I can also get hands free phone calls. I don't find that any more distracting than listening to the radio or talking to a passenger. What I find distracting is stuffing a Whopper in my face while pulling into traffic.

/ US Hwy 1 how things have changed #49  
You guys have nothing to complain about yet.
Have you been following the "hands free" driving trend? GM has "Super cruise"
What's it going to be like when a large percentage of the driving population doesn't even keep their hansds on the wheel?
/edit - and of course Tesla

Last edited:
   / US Hwy 1 how things have changed #50  
I use my cell phone for entertainment on long drives. I use bluetooth earbuds to listen to music or audio books, so I can also get hands free phone calls. I don't find that any more distracting than listening to the radio or talking to a passenger. What I find distracting is stuffing a Whopper in my face while pulling into traffic.
Is it legal for the driver to wear headphones? Always thought it wasn't. Maybe varies by state.
As far as you not finding it distracting, I wonder what your fellow drivers think. I'm sure most of the other "idiots not paying attention" don't think they're distracted either.