Used tractors---be careful

/ Used tractors---be careful #1  

BTI

Platinum Member
Tractor
CK20S Hydro TLB-LK3054-CK30H
Used tractors can be a very good value.

At the same time it's easy to get "taken for a ride".
Always do a search for the model to make sure you are getting what the person selling is saying it is. I use "Google" images search alot.

There are some very good dealers on here selling both new and used, greys and domestics.
The reason I am writing this is I have seen and talked to quite a few people that bought tractors thinking they were one thing and then finding out they were something totally different.
One bought a "Ford" tractor, it ended up being a Shenniu (chinese) with Ford stickers on it.
Another bought a "Massey Ferguson" Compact, it ended up being a grey market tractor.
Another was a person that just bought an 850 JD, very clean but was represented by the seller as a "somewhere around 2000" model tractor.

There are others but those are fresh in my mind.

I also see them on ebay and craigslist all the time, being misrepresented.
Of course all are "really good deals".

Just be careful and make sure you get what you bargained for.
Ask questions and if they seem dishonest just walk away.

BTI

/ Used tractors---be careful #2  
It's expected folks have done enough homework to understand what they're buying and to ensure they buy a good fit for their needs.

And, never forget: Caveat Emptor

Last edited:
   / Used tractors---be careful #3  
Walk away................ That is hard to do when looking to purchase tractor, you think it may be the last one to fit your need. Sometimes you have to walk away to cool down that "tractor fever ."

/ Used tractors---be careful #4  
Buying a first tractor is enormously complicated and intimidating. Many times I thought I'd done all the necessary research to find that there were still things I needed to know or had wrong. I ran into a lot of QDW (Quick, Decisive and Wrong) people and got a fair share of bad advice.

So Roy is right. Research and research. Find people you trust. Mostly, spend time here on TBN. Good people, good advice, plenty of diversity of opinion.

And always remember there is an army of people out there who make their living knowing that "a sucker is born every minute."

/ Used tractors---be careful #5  
BTI said:

Always do a search for the model to make sure you are getting what the person selling is saying it is. I use "Google" images search alot.

There are some very good dealers on here selling both new and used, greys and domestics.
The reason I am writing this is I have seen and talked to quite a few people that bought tractors thinking they were one thing and then finding out they were something totally different.
One bought a "Ford" tractor, it ended up being a Shenniu (chinese) with Ford stickers on it.
Another bought a "Massey Ferguson" Compact, it ended up being a grey market tractor.

Ask questions and if they seem dishonest just walk away.

BTI

I live my life around used machines and auctions and there is rareley such a thing as a "deal" Cheap is cheap for a reason . If you cannot identify the points that you've made then then you really should not be "shopping alone" .
Buying used from a dealer is no safer than buying from an auction ,They just want rid of trades particularily if it's not their colour.
When a person like this comes along sellers can't believe their luck ,They don't come along very often? and in the trade are called "virgins"
For us a "deal" is something that has an obvious or visible problem like a shot motor ,bad paint or hydraulics don't work because 50% of the time it does not take much to put right but even if it does it cost a fraction of the price and you have the resources to fix it anyway .

/ Used tractors---be careful #6  
BTI said:

Ask questions and if they see

BTI

Whoops pressed send twice ?

/ Used tractors---be careful #7  
One thing i like to do is buy 'extra' manuals of tractors I might like to own one day..and then have them on hand so I am familiar with a tractor if ai run across one. To this end I have stacks of tractor and implement manuals to things I don't or never owned. Occasionally I find a tractor to match a manual I have.

Garage and yard sales.. and aebay are a good way to pick up tractor manuals cheap...

( yes.. I have tractoritis.. .. you guys already know that..)

Soundguy

/ Used tractors---be careful #8  
One way to help secure what you are paying for is to use the many "internet escrow" services.

A few things happen immediately when you mention you want the purchase to go through escrow. If it is a legit deal or item, the buyer will agree - if it's not, it's the last time you will hear from the seller. Escrow immediately filters out the scam artists.

You send your money into escrow, wait for the product to arrive, if it's as advertised, then and only then do YOU release the funds. If not, you ship it back and collect your money.

I've used it several times and when the item arrived I had time to check it out and test it, all was fine I released he funds. Great service.

Even if you offer to pay all escrow fees it's cheap insurance, to get your money back.

/ Used tractors---be careful #9  
Good post! I bought a Toyota fork truck years ago, I still have it, and love it, it was the first I ever heard of grey market when I looked for a oil and air filter. Its a Toyota so I've had no problems but if I do it may be a problem.
First CUT I bought, and still have is a Satoh, same thing been good but parts are tough to get!

/ Used tractors---be careful #10  
Soundguy said:
One thing i like to do is buy 'extra' manuals of tractors and implements I might like to own one day..and then have them on hand so I am familiar with a tractor if ai run across one.
Soundguy
Seems like a real good idea to me...its what I do. :D