Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road.

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I have a section of road in my bottom land that stays consistently wet and muddy. The ruts are about 6 to 8 inches deep, so not bottomless and I am never worried about getting my tractor stuck. But I would like to have the option of getting trucks down there. A truck would probably have to get on it pretty good to get through there making a mess of the road and truck.

Here is my plan. A buddy down the road got swindled into accepting some loads of fill that have tons of rather large concrete slab pieces about 4 to 6" thick. My plan is to run my york rake through the muck and mud to make a rather level bed for the concrete "tiles" and lay them together as close as possible to pave a road through the wet spots. I think the mud will almost act like mortar. I will fill the voids between the slabs with mid sized rock chunks to hold it all together. These sections are about 40' long and about 15' long, so not huge.

Any tips, tricks, warnings? Good idea bad idea?

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #2  
Couldn’t see where it’d hurt one bit. Wish I had some of those concrete slabs to do the same thing

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #3  
If the sections are wet all year long, you are trying to build over spring areas. With no base for your "pavers" they are just going to sink and flip on you and possibly make the road a confused mess of tilted chunks of concrete. I think you'll need to at least lay down some 2-3 inch clear rock, then do your pavers, then top with 1/4 minus.

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #4  
Run some drain tile, some sort of crushed fill then slabs. That way the water has a place to go. JM2C

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #5  
It will work And quite well. Good plan!

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road.
Thank you for the responses gentlemen!!

It isn't a spring, just a low spot that holds water and has been driven over enough to make a mess. I do have an option to run a culvert before the section to divert water away from it a bit. The water does have a way out now, this spot is just a little lower so it stays wet. It will probably be good to channelize the water a bit better before laying slabs. When I raise it and fill it with the concrete slabs the majority of the water will go out that way. I do think putting a bit of a base down COULD help but I wonder if it is necessary. That stuff is expensive now a days might just be like throwing money into the mud. I have been trying this with smaller bricks and broken up cinder blocks for a while and they have made a bottom to the muck. I do think the slabs will be pretty stable once in place. I am talking slabs in the range of 18" x24" or greater. They are going to have a pretty good footprint and should be able to handle a decent load.

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #7  
I work with the county in rural America. We use rip rap to fill in soft spots in some of our roads then cap it with pit run. Mind you the ground here is rotten. No good dirt for miles. Concrete chunks.. same concept as rip rap. It WILL work. The concrete will help tighten the hole. Same as aggregate. Ifn it was me and I had access to the chunks you’re describing I’d have several holes filled in by now.

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #8  
There is a reason brick streets are five layers thick.

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road. #9  
Maybe smash up some of the concrete first (with a sledge hammer) to use that as the base to then lay some of the slabs on

/ Using concrete slabs to "pave" some wet spots in a road.
Maybe smash up some of the concrete first (with a sledge hammer) to use that as the base to then lay some of the slabs on
Good idea! I have already done this to an extent over the last year or 2, but only mostly in the ruts. I think that is why the mud never gets too deep. I have some only busted up bricks and cinder blocks laying around that I will use fo that.