value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement.

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #1  

rocco611

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
the rotor pulley snapped on my EF155 flail mower. I contacted Betstco in Oregon , they can't supply a replacement, I would have to buy a new mower. I attempted to drill out the plug welds and remove the stub shaft from the rotor only to find that it is also welded around the inset face then machined. I contacted a local machine shop and they informed me that if I repaired it as designed they would not be able to balance it, due to the small diameter of the end shafts (one inch O.D) and the fact they are inset into the rotor housing. the shaft is supported by two UC205 radial insert bearings the housing of which mount inside the side plates of the flail mower and fit inside the recess of the rotor shaft. the one inch shaft steps down to about 13/16 where the pulley is mounted. The center of the shaft is drilled for the grease fitting , then cross drilled at the bearing location, that is where it sheared off. I am thinking of building a new rotor, with 1 1/4" stub shafts then mounting the bearing retainers on the outside of the mower side plates. this way there is no need to drill and cross drill the shaft, I dont have to inset the stub shafts then machine the end of the tube for the bearing housing to fit in. much simpler to build, the shop can balance it . I am not worried about the increased width .suggestions appreciated. flail1.jpgflail2.jpg

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #2  
That's one you just about have to see. The balance issue has me confused. You may be right that it may be best to start from scratch. So did you get into something with this or is it just a sketchy set up?

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement.
That's one you just about have to see. The balance issue has me confused. You may be right that it may be best to start from scratch. So did you get into something with this or is it just a sketchy set up?

A family member borrowed it, said he didnt hit anything. It looks sketchy , same shaft diameter as a 3hp Briggs and Stratton with the added weakness of the the center hole, cross drilled and a lubrication groove all the way around . soft mild steel as well. I don't know about the balancing process at the shop, I am going to send them a autocad drawing once I come up with a new design, they said from that they would be able to tell me if they could balance it. I called a couple drive line shops, they said they couldn't do it at all.

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #4  
If I owned one, I believe I would be contacting the Oregon Attorney Generals office and file a complaint. Bestco clearly indicates on their website that parts are available. They also imply through the manual that all parts are available. If in fact these parts are not purchaseable, they may be in violation of a consumer protection law (lemon law, etc.). Its free and doesn稚 hurt to find out.
Parts |
http://betstco.com/Betstco_Manuals/FH-EF_FLAIL_MANUAL.pdf

Consumer Protection - Oregon Department of Justice : Consumer Protection

If I owned one, I believe I would be contacting the Oregon Attorney Generals office and file a complaint. Bestco clearly indicates on their website that parts are available. They also imply through the manual that all parts are available. If in fact these parts are not purchaseable, they may be in violation of a consumer protection law (lemon law, etc.). Its free and doesn稚 hurt to find out.
Parts |
http://betstco.com/Betstco_Manuals/FH-EF_FLAIL_MANUAL.pdf

Consumer Protection - Oregon Department of Justice : Consumer Protection

My mower is long out of warranty. I talked with the owner of the company, he said he purchased the company from someone else and no longer supported the "ValueLeader" brand products that were sold by the previous owner. I get what your saying, and now that I think about it, I feel a bit guilty , like I have some obligation to make an effort to get the company to correct the design problem if that hasn't been done already. if the new rotors are the same, I dont think I would pay money for one. I really try to avoid getting into legal issues and am not here to bash the Betsco. I am looking for Idea's from fabricators here that might have a better solution to the rotor problem. thanks for the links though, I will definitely look into it.

Last edited:
   / value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #6  
I talked with the owner of the company, he said he purchased the company from someone else and no longer supported the "ValueLeader" brand products that were sold by the previous owner. I get what your saying, and now that I think about it, I feel a bit guilty , like I have some obligation to make an effort to get the company to correct the design problem if that hasn't been done already. I really try to avoid getting into legal issues and am not here to bash the Betsco. I am looking for Idea's from fabricators here that might have a better solution to the rotor problem. thanks for the links though, I will definitely look into it.
Add some more pics and we’ll see what we can come up with. My first thought (similar to yours) is to weld on a new stub with a different type pillow block bearing. You could then make an improvised mock up to balance your own shaft with an electric motor and a belt.

Filing a complaint with the AG office doesn’t get you into legal issues per se. They will just tell you what decision they made based on your complaint. Personally, I think all of these places importing china mowers (value leader, town sunny, victory, etc.) shouldn’t just be allowed to say, “Sorry bout that, I can get you a whole new mower” and when you purchase a business there can be some assumption of liability from the previous owner.

Add some more pics and we’ll see what we can come up with. My first thought (similar to yours) is to weld on a new stub with a different type pillow block bearing. You could then make an improvised mock up to balance your own shaft with an electric motor and a belt.

Filing a complaint with the AG office doesn’t get you into legal issues per se. They will just tell you what decision they made based on your complaint. Personally, I think all of these places importing china mowers (value leader, town sunny, victory, etc.) shouldn’t just be allowed to say, “Sorry bout that, I can get you a whole new mower” and when you purchase a business there can be some assumption of liability from the previous owner.

I will post some more pics soon. I built drivelines for my hotrods when I was a teenager, balanced them by taping washers to the shaft and driving the car, then moving the washer till the vibration went away. I would interested to know how to balance a flail shaft on the mower.

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #8  
I will post some more pics soon. I built drivelines for my hotrods when I was a teenager, balanced them by taping washers to the shaft and driving the car, then moving the washer till the vibration went away. I would interested to know how to balance a flail shaft on the mower.

Start with a dial indicator, no knifes or attaching hardware. Weigh hardware and place matching numbers to opposing sides, apply power see what happens.

/ value leader EF155 flail mower rotor replacement. #9  
The "Farmer's Helper" models Betstco sells now aren't the same design with interchangeable parts?