vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out.

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #1  

scf84

Tractor
case,ford
this spring i broke 2 belts, (old) finished the field with 2 less belts. ordered a new set and went to the field and had problems with a chain and sprocket popping. it runs smooth when empty, but soon as it gets to the 4 foot mark the chain that goes from gear box to the drive roller gets slack in the lower side and the idler sprocket raises and pops up and down. all bearings appear good and mostly new, and new chain and sprockets. i have no idea what would be causing this.

Last edited:
   / vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #2  
Is the chain new? It looks like it is too long and the idler can't keep tension on the chain.

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #3  
Do drive rollers have a rubber covered area? If so I wonder if rubber is worn down to a smaller than original diameter

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #4  
Looks to me like one, the chain has way too much slack in it and the spring loaded idler cannot take up that slack. Think I'd take the chain off and remove one link. cannot tell from the video but I'm curious as the what the sprockets look like. They could be worn to the point where chain to tooth engagement is lacking.

Looks like you just lubed the chains with spray lube. I never use any sort of spray lube, just motor oil and I lube them just after I use the bailer so they are warm and the oil gets inside, The spray lube don't get inside the rollers where it's really needed.

Kind of not an issue with me now. The new round bailer I just bought has centralized lube on it with a pump that meters oil to the chains and grease to the bearings.

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out.
as i said it has new chain and sprockets. chain is tight until i get to a 4 foot bale. no rubber rollers.

here it is running empty

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #8  
Looks like you just lubed the chains with spray lube. I never use any sort of spray lube, just motor oil and I lube them just after I use the bailer so they are warm and the oil gets inside, The spray lube don't get inside the rollers where it's really needed.
May I ask what you think chain lube was designed to accomplish but to lube chains? IMHO engine oil utilized to lubricate rd baler chains can be messy & possibly create a fire hazard. I've utilized spray chain lube to lubricate my rd baler drive chains for many years.

/ vermeer 505 super i baler problem that i can't figure out. #9  
The only other thing I can think of is one or both of the circled bearings are worn.

When the weight of the roll gets on these rollers they move causing the chain to get slack in it.
Screenshot_20210922-081733_YouTube.jpeg

that would make sense, but i have changed those bearings