Wallenstein BX62S shear pins

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Well - after having and using my BX62S for four years - I finally did it. Feeding old, hard dry apple wood and blew a shear pin. Kind of surprised me because it was only 4" diameter material.

Anyhow - I looked and by golly - I don't have any shear pins. Called dealer - it will be a week because they don't stock them.

The question becomes - - has anybody used a standard bolt successfully? What grade bolt - -?

I tried a 3/8" - grade 2 bolt and it sheared IMMEDIATELY. No joy there. Thanks for any help.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
BTW - for those who have never had to purchase an "OEM shear pin" - - the Wally shear pins come in at around $6.50 each. Not gold plated either.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Do you happen to have (or find) the original shear bolt head? (i.e. which end went flying?)
The marks on that should tell you what grade it is/was.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
No - I didn't look. But I saw the second bolt head lying there on the ground - so the original should not be far from it - hopefully. I shall have a second cup of brew and go look. Thanks CobyR.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Wonders will never cease. Found top halves of both shear bolts - OEM and my grade 2 replacement. Both within two inches of each other - hiding in two inch tall grass. I did have help though - I used my ever handy White metal detector. Took less than two minutes and I had them in hand. The OEM is grade 8.

I bought the metal detector about ten years ago - got tired of dropping and not finding those "one of a kind" parts. After a bazillion trips into the "big town" to get replacement parts for those dropped and lost in the grass - the metal detector soon paid for itself.

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Well - after having and using my BX62S for four years - I finally did it. Feeding old, hard dry apple wood and blew a shear pin. Kind of surprised me because it was only 4" diameter material.

Anyhow - I looked and by golly - I don't have any shear pins. Called dealer - it will be a week because they don't stock them.

The question becomes - - has anybody used a standard bolt successfully? What grade bolt - -?

I tried a 3/8" - grade 2 bolt and it sheared IMMEDIATELY. No joy there. Thanks for any help.

Yep, we used a standard bolt to replace the shear pin on our Wallenstein. Lasted about one minute. Dealer had OEM pin in stock and I bought several but haven't had to use any of the extras yet. Don't recall how much we paid for the extras.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
For sure - I tried a standard, Grade 2, bolt and the first chunk of my rock hard apple wood took it out. Then I found the OEM shear bolt and it was Grade 8. I bought and use Grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store. I sheared one of those also in my "chip my old apple wood" project. This was the first time I have ever chipped anything other than pine. Quite an experience.

My son had darn well better appreciate the chipped applewood. There is a pile of about 150 pounds.

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
For sure - I tried a standard, Grade 2, bolt and the first chunk of my rock hard apple wood took it out. Then I found the OEM shear bolt and it was Grade 8. I bought and use Grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store. I sheared one of those also in my "chip my old apple wood" project. This was the first time I have ever chipped anything other than pine. Quite an experience.

My son had darn well better appreciate the chipped applewood. There is a pile of about 150 pounds.

What do you do with the chips? Apple wood is the preferred wood when we smoke our bacon and hams.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
My son was going to come out and help with the - "take down the old apple trees and chip them up" - project. But you know how that goes. So - I took them down - they were 35 year old semi-dwarf - pushed them over with the grapple - cut them up so they would go thru the chipper and then chipped them. The 8" trunks became 4" half-trunks and even those blew the shear pins. I really wouldn't want to have to chip old rock hard apple wood all the time.

Anyhow - he is going to use them to smoke stuff in his fancy smoker/bar-b-que'er. I AM going to be invited.

A good friend in Palmer, AK( about 40 miles NE of Anchorage) had a smoker that was a building. It was about 18' by 24' and he smoked everything. All kinds of fish, bear and his annual moose. He used apple wood - now that I remember this - I just wonder where he got the apple wood. Must have been from some old homesteads in the Palmer area.