Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #1  

Ross040457

Tractor
Ford4110
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge in correctly diagnosing the above fault.
I bought the tractor with front end loader attached and over time the steering has begun to toe in or toe out particularly on the right wheel.
From what I can tell the possible cause is a worn seal in right side power steering ram. It seems that the original rams are not repairable and aftermarket replacements are a heavier design and have replaceable components.

I'd want to be sure that I'm not missing any other causes of the issue any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ross

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #2  
Lift the front of the tractor and move the wheel "left to right",
observe whats loose, could be a tie rod end.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #3  
Lift the front of the tractor and check your wheel bearings

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #4  
Is your tractor 2 WD with adjustable wheel widths?

If it is you probably have a center axle with various holes in it to widen or shorten the wheel width.
I broke an axle like this on my 3910. Ordered a new one but it is not available as an OEM part anymore. So they ordered
some foreign made aftermarket replacement. Within 2-3 uses doing nothing more than scooping horse manure with the FEL
the Camber began to change, more on one side than the other, which caused steering problems. Closer looking revealed that the
aftermarket replacement apparently had not been hardened properly and the axle was bending up.
Replaced that with a used reconditioned crack tested axle and it has been fine for over 400 hours of use.

Might not be related to your problem since you did not define what type front axle you have. Front Axle.jpg

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110
Thanks for the info, The axle is as you described and doesn't appear to be damaged or worn.I have removed lifted the front end and removed and checked the bearings as suggested previously. The wheel bearings were in poor condition though they were firm prior to removal.

I would guess that they are a major part of the problem though there may be additional wear that I haven't discovered as yet. One ball joint is also quite worn.

Thanks again for your help so far.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #6  
Since both wheels should be connected by a tie rod which is then connected to the steering cylinder, if the cylinder was bad, both wheels would move in the same direction if it were leaking by the seals. I suspect that you have one or more worn out tie rod ends which should be a simple replacement. It doesn't take much slack in a tie rod for the wheel to drive left/right or wobble back and forthlike a drunk sailor.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #7  
Thanks for the info, The axle is as you described and doesn't appear to be damaged or worn.I have removed lifted the front end and removed and checked the bearings as suggested previously. The wheel bearings were in poor condition though they were firm prior to removal.

I would guess that they are a major part of the problem though there may be additional wear that I haven't discovered as yet. One ball joint is also quite worn.

Thanks again for your help so far.

How many hours show on the hour meter?

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #9  
3480 hours

Could be some wear then particularly if not greased properly and bolts kept tight.

I have over 4000 hours on the 3910 and everything is still tight. It has always had a FEL on it used to pull trees over, dig stumps, dirt, stack hay rolls in the barn and whatever.
Plowed, mowed, made hay plus a lot of hours with a big Kelly backhoe attachment, on the back, so it has been used to do a lot of aggressive work. Those old tractors were built tuff compared to the pretty creature comfort ones made today.

/ Wandering right hand steering Ford 4110 #10  
i'd be checking those tie rod ends like GF mentioned!

draglink end too.

the wheel bearing / hub wear didn't help either..