Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #31  
If I were buying again I would likely go with a 16 foot gooseneck instead of the 14 foot bumper pull. I would also look at going up a step in payload. If your near Ohio I would suggest that you look at Application Trailers. They only sell straight from the manufacturer, there are no dealers. But because of that I got this one for a couple grand less than any PJ, Lamar, Iron Bull or anything else. I also speced it with the upgraded/ larger wheels and tires, the 7G deck floor, the roll out cover and the spare.

If you live across the country it likely would make any sense. But I called and made the deal over the phone. They email you a build out sheet with all options and price. You agree, sign and return it, call and make a deposit and your put in line in the factory. When it's built, you drive over and pay the balance and drive away. You get the inspection on your own in your state.

I would likely go with one of these in 16 foot and option on the 24" steel side walls, HD tires, spare and slide in ramps. The 19K GVW would be sweet! The 15K is a bit more affordable. No doubt that the gooseneck would be easier to live with. It shortens you up and allows you to jack knife yourself into much tougher spots.

The 15K $9,700 base and the 19K is $12,300 base. But to me those are lifetime purchases at my 50 years old time of life. I don't use mine for a living. I pick up side gigs now and again and use my trailers for my own convenience.

View attachment 695427View attachment 695425View attachment 695426
Appalachian trailers are ok, but after I owned one (30’ 20k goosenec), it showed wear quickly. Good for occasional user and careful light commercial though.
Many of the ball mount trailers are now only rated to 15k. Same trailer with a lunette will get you to 16k
If the OP has a 3/4 ton, I’m fairly sure (but not certain) he has a 9999-10,000lb GVWR. Hes probably going to run out of pin weight fast. Although I prefer a GN, they are a heavier trailer empty compared to the same trailer in BP.

Last edited:
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #32  
I've been around and used different brands of dump trailers. Spend the extra bucks and get a gooseneck no matter what else you do. Get the "end dump" which is the single cylinder on the front of the trailer. They have way more lifting power than the scissors or dual ram.

Check this video out.
This video convinced me to buy from them. They make 16k, 18k and 20k single wheel dual axle dumps. They will also "derate" your trailers GVWR to keep your truck/trailer GCWR under 26,001 lbs. You can have a heavier built trailer that will last and not worry about your GCWR being over 26,001.

Think about a 16' trailer. Make sure the trailer is about 83" wide to fit 6' attachments. That 16'er will give you a bit of room to haul something with the skid steer. 16' is the shortest trailer that a medium sized compact tractor with rear attachment will fit in. You put the front bucket up on the gooseneck.

I saved a few bucks by driving down and picking mine up. Jim, the owner, even came out and shook my hand and talked for a while.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #33  
Agree a telescoping hoist is the way to go. If it’s a scissor, make sure it’s over-rated so you don’t end up hand shoveling your dump trailer, lol

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #34  
I've been around and used different brands of dump trailers. Spend the extra bucks and get a gooseneck no matter what else you do. Get the "end dump" which is the single cylinder on the front of the trailer. They have way more lifting power than the scissors or dual ram.

Check this video out.
This video convinced me to buy from them. They make 16k, 18k and 20k single wheel dual axle dumps. They will also "derate" your trailers GVWR to keep your truck/trailer GCWR under 26,001 lbs. You can have a heavier built trailer that will last and not worry about your GCWR being over 26,001.

Think about a 16' trailer. Make sure the trailer is about 83" wide to fit 6' attachments. That 16'er will give you a bit of room to haul something with the skid steer. 16' is the shortest trailer that a medium sized compact tractor with rear attachment will fit in. You put the front bucket up on the gooseneck.

I saved a few bucks by driving down and picking mine up. Jim, the owner, even came out and shook my hand and talked for a while.
Be careful about putting anything, like hay, loader bucket, etc on the gooseneck. Its not considered a cargo area unless it has a deck on the neck. I have heard a couple guys get fined for it.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #35  
Be careful about putting anything, like hay, loader bucket, etc on the gooseneck. Its not considered a cargo area unless it has a deck on the neck. I have heard a couple guys get fined for it.
Good info, I haven't heard that yet. I will keep it in mind and do some research.

FWIW it may not be enforced in this area....yet. I see buckets on the GN almost everyday on commercial and non commercial vehicles.

Farm trailer wise they seem to be able to get 3 round bales up there. I'd be worried one would fall off, never mind that 3/4 ton is twice overloaded. Crazy stuff!

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #36  
Good info, I haven't heard that yet. I will keep it in mind and do some research.

FWIW it may not be enforced in this area....yet. I see buckets on the GN almost everyday on commercial and non commercial vehicles.

Farm trailer wise they seem to be able to get 3 round bales up there. I'd be worried one would fall off, never mind that 3/4 ton is twice overloaded. Crazy stuff!
I do it all the time and never got much notice, but ordered new trailer with deck on the neck because they started enforcing it.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #37  
I do it all the time and never got much notice, but ordered new trailer with deck on the neck because they started enforcing it.
I will ask around and see if they are starting to look at that. Any word of enforcement and I'll throw some steel up there. I do appreciate the heads up.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.
If I were buying again I would likely go with a 16 foot gooseneck instead of the 14 foot bumper pull. I would also look at going up a step in payload. If your near Ohio I would suggest that you look at Application Trailers. They only sell straight from the manufacturer, there are no dealers. But because of that I got this one for a couple grand less than any PJ, Lamar, Iron Bull or anything else. I also speced it with the upgraded/ larger wheels and tires, the 7G deck floor, the roll out cover and the spare.

If you live across the country it likely would make any sense. But I called and made the deal over the phone. They email you a build out sheet with all options and price. You agree, sign and return it, call and make a deposit and your put in line in the factory. When it's built, you drive over and pay the balance and drive away. You get the inspection on your own in your state.

I would likely go with one of these in 16 foot and option on the 24" steel side walls, HD tires, spare and slide in ramps. The 19K GVW would be sweet! The 15K is a bit more affordable. No doubt that the gooseneck would be easier to live with. It shortens you up and allows you to jack knife yourself into much tougher spots.

The 15K $9,700 base and the 19K is $12,300 base. But to me those are lifetime purchases at my 50 years old time of life. I don't use mine for a living. I pick up side gigs now and again and use my trailers for my own convenience.

View attachment 695427View attachment 695425View attachment 695426
I was pretty set on what brand but I’ll check them out thanks!

Make sure you are aware of all the regulatory implications once your truck GVWR and trailer GVWR added together exceed 26,000. This will likely happen with a one ton and a 14k trailer.

Ive been under the implication for personal use it doesn’t matter.

Well and you are also getting heavier built.
You have a CDL?

A class B with air brakes, but for personal use I didn’t think it mattered.