?? Warranty issue or easy fix??

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix?? #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi all, I just started having a problem with the hood springing open while operating my '09 273. I've gotten 33 hrs working it so far and have had no issues until yesterday. I was operating, using the loader, digging out an opening where I'm going to install some railroad-tie ramps/steps. Out of the blue the hood pops open! The first time it did so, it just startled me and I didn't think much of it, but it continued to happen again and again. It got so bad that I had to quit working on the project - hold the hood down & closed with one hand while driving to the garage to put the tractor away. I really looked the latch mechanism over and I just don't see anything that looks like its supposed to catch on anything? Not a good explanation but I just don't see how the latch is supposed to catch the hood? The rod portion of the lever is smooth and it just seems to pressure snap into the latch potion on the hood?
1. Could something have just worn off, out, or away? If so.....
2. Would this be a warranty item/issue? (I have not yet contacted TYM as I wanted to first see if it's something common, simple, and an easy fix that I could just do myself. My dealer is 50 miles away and I have no trailer yet.)

I appreciate any and all feed-back. Perhaps this has happened to someone else in the past? If so, what was your fix - other than strapping down hood with a bungee cord. Thanx Gregster613

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix?? #2  
Id talk to your local dealer, it most likely an easy fix not worth bringing it down to them, Check to be sure that the bolts are tight where the motor meets the frame to be sure its not flexing and spreading where the hood meets the cowl area. Good luck

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix?? #3  
mine has popped open a few times but not for some time now. I know there are others on here that had the same issue and fixed it themselves. Search in this TYM forum and I'd bet you find at least 2.

FYI- I did nothing to fix mine. It just hasn't popped open much lately. It generally takes a couple of slams to close it though.

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix?? #4  
I had the same problem when I first bought my 273. The dealer told me to adjust the latch plate. The plate has two bolts and is slightly adjustable. That adjustment helped but the problem remained. Then I took a 1/4 inch piece of steel and cut a hole in it to match the latch plate. I welded the steel to the latch plate to bring the hole closer to the pin. I never slam the hood, just pull out on the lever when closing the hood. The hood has not accidentally popped open since this fix.

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix??
Many thanks for the replies/suggestions...It is reassuring to me knowing that this seems to be a reoccuring issue with other 273's. After I studied it for a day, I fully believed that the shaft coming through the firewall was indeed too short, but I couldn't figure out how to open up the firewall to adjust/lengthen it -- if it could even be adjusted. And, the latch that bolts to the hood didn't seem to have any adjustment you could give it. I'll look closer at that to. It's a real loose fitment though; if I slide two fingers under the hood (at the top of the instrument panel) it'll pop right open. I guess that I'll just have to try what Jando did and make another latch piece to get welded to the original. And hope I have the same luck! I have no welder so it'll take me some time to get this fixed correctly but I'll reply when I get-er-done. Thanx for the ideas -- Gregster613

/ ?? Warranty issue or easy fix??
Got her fixed today. I used Jando's idea; was a little worried that 1/4" would be too thick but decided to try it anyway. I created a piece with the hole and v-shape under it and had a teacher at the school weld it on today. Just got home awhile ago, primered and painted it, let it dry and slowly closed the hood whilst holding my breath...viola it latched like a charm! I haven't yet operated it to see if'n it'll hold, but I'm sure it will! I'll find out for sure this weekend. If so, I hope TYM monitors this board because the hood latch needs to be thicker from the factory. At any rate, it was only a minor item and I hope for many, many more hours of troublefree operation from this beast. I get many ideas and thoughts from this board and I certainly thank everyone for the suggestions. Gregster613