Was able to work the dirt today....

/ Was able to work the dirt today.... #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Was able to do some cultivating today. Weather was stellar, soil is getting workable on the flats but still pretty soft in the draws.
The 790 was pulling threw everything like a hot knife threw butter just a little tire spin threw the mucky draws. Then something happened....

It was my bad, I replaced the drive gears in both sides last fall. After 15 years of use the left side failed. I pressed off one of the bad gears from the 'shaft' or wheel flange and fouled up the groove of the snap ring on the splined 'shaft'... I re-used the shaft and that was not a good idea.
Finished cultivating with the LS XR3140H. Really wish I could have finished with the deere...

Attachments

• 20220320_130556.jpg
    20220320_130556.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 166
  • 20220320_132634.jpg
    20220320_132634.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 148
  • 20220320_152951.jpg
    20220320_152951.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220320_135031.jpg
    20220320_135031.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 163
   / Was able to work the dirt today.... #2  
What are you going to plant?

/ Was able to work the dirt today.... #3  
Hmm - it's going to be a couple weeks before I can venture out and do any dirt work. My "muddy spot" on my driveway will be my first project.

Your land is truly quite a bit dryer than I am here.

Sorry to see the "oops" on the Deere. At least, you know exactly what needs to be done.

/ Was able to work the dirt today.... #4  
Was able to do some cultivating today. Weather was stellar, soil is getting workable on the flats but still pretty soft in the draws.
The 790 was pulling threw everything like a hot knife threw butter just a little tire spin threw the mucky draws. Then something happened....

It was my bad, I replaced the drive gears in both sides last fall. After 15 years of use the left side failed. I pressed off one of the bad gears from the 'shaft' or wheel flange and fouled up the groove of the snap ring on the splined 'shaft'... I re-used the shaft and that was not a good idea.
Finished cultivating with the LS XR3140H. Really wish I could have finished with the deere...
The reviews of the 790 on this website indicate this is a common problem. Sad to hear.

/ Was able to work the dirt today.... #6  
Spruce Deere - I see parts of your tree farm in the first picture. Will the cultivated area be more tree farm?

/ Was able to work the dirt today....
Going to plan spruce tree seedlings in this field Iman.

This field has fairly good exposure so it is mostly workable. It does have a deep draw on the south that still has prolly a foot of snow, that will be a while yet oosik.

/ Was able to work the dirt today.... #8  
Thanks - spruce Deere. My snow is all gone but the ground is still a bit soggy. You DO have a beautiful location there.

Yep, cultivated area is for more seedlings oosik.

The reviews of the 790 on this website indicate this is a common problem. Sad to hear.
This 790 made it 15 years. I was careful but used the heck out of it being it was my only tractor... lucky I guess.
Used full synthetic gear oil from the first change also, but the gears still lost teeth.