Waste Oil

/ Waste Oil #41  
I still oil the short road to the barn.
When my father was young ('30s) in Maine they sprayed it under cars and drove them on Dusty roads to coagulate it.
When he was a kid, he and friends had a Model T and drained cans at the filling station for oil!

/ Waste Oil #42  
I use the used oil to start tires on fire. :eek: I try to avoid dumping it into the river since that isn't environmentally friendly ;)

/ Waste Oil #43  
I use the used oil to start tires on fire. :eek: I try to avoid dumping it into the river since that isn't environmentally friendly ;)
We used to put used tires under the pile of orchard stumps and prunings to burn. This would sustain the burn for days.

The final year that was legal was 1967. The following year I collected junk tires hoarded for that, and a re-capper bought every one.

Now a burn permit is $300 so the orchard prunings get shredded in place with a flail mower, or a chipper for branches, with stumps held to burn several years stumps at one time.

/ Waste Oil #44  
A few years back, I bought an adjacent piece of property with an old derelict house. I just wanted the land & barn and planned to burn the house to get rid of it. I saved my used oil for a year or so with the idea I would use it to aid the house burning. Around here, it was common practice at the time to burn old houses with the aid of the local volunteer fire company who would use it for practice.

When I contacted the fire company, I was told the county had adopted an ordinance banning all open burning. The only exception was for farm fields. Luckily, I found this out before I spread the oil and lit the match. Otherwise, I would have been on the hook for over $2K in fines from the county and EPA!

Thinking back, I probably should have done it anyway and paid the fine since it cost me over $15K to have the house torn down!

/ Waste Oil #45  
Motor honey must have changed the name as I recall
it was called just HONEY and If you wanted to add it to
your oil better heat it first or you would be there all day
trying to empty that little container into your oil. It came
in a round tube like container and the whole end came
off and you didn't want to get any on ya as it was hard to'
wash off

willy

/ Waste Oil #46  
No problem getting rid of waste oil here. Either auto parts store, or county run facility. I've not looked to see if there are any other options.

/ Waste Oil #47  
I take all my used oil to AutoZone for recycling. All of my antifreeze goes to my county's waste disposal warehouse. Quick and easy.

/ Waste Oil #48  
Made me laugh! Of course, you are just kidding.

/ Waste Oil #49  
Used oil, tires and plastic bottles will get get brush pile going, just like the do in biomass power plants. Add all kind of stuff like that to burn green wood for electric and it is "renewable".

/ Waste Oil #50  
Used oil, tires and plastic bottles will get get brush pile going, just like the do in biomass power plants. Add all kind of stuff like that to burn green wood for electric and it is "renewable".
As I understand it recycle plastics etc are sorted for burnable stuff and they don't burn everything. Then there are filters similar to an automotive catalytic converter in the chimneys. So that isn't quite the same as burning trash.