Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter?

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #1  

davrow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27HST
We want to get a whole house water filter. Our well is about 200' from the house.

It would be much more convenient to mount the filters in the pump shed. Is there any reason to have the filter close to the house?

Online instructions say to mount it where the water line enters the house, but I think those are (very) dumbed down instructions so people won't try to mount them on the city side of the water meter (shut-off valve).

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #2  
At the well in my situation (Vermont) would mean I could get ice cubes from the faucet all winter long.

Riverside might not get that perk!

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #4  
Make sure that the water filter is after the pressure tank, unless you're installing a pressure relief ahead of the filter - otherwise, if the filter clogs, the well pump will never shut off if the pressure tank is after, until the pump and/or piping is destroyed.

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #5  
Make sure that the water filter is after the pressure tank, unless you're installing a pressure relief ahead of the filter - otherwise, if the filter clogs, the well pump will never shut off if the pressure tank is after, until the pump and/or piping is destroyed.
Another consideration is having the ability to bypass your filter for your outside hose bibs. Filters will last longer.

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #6  
We just had both of the pressure tanks and gauges replaced on both of our wells. We installed a hose bibs immediately after the tanks but before the filters, all inside the pump house which is located about 100' from the pumps. The idea is to be able to pull unfiltered water from the wells for the garden, saving on unneeded filters.

I doubt that it makes any difference whether you install the filter close to the pump or closer to the house. It being a whole house filter, I'd put it wherever is most convenient for you to access it. You might consider adding a hose bib before the filter though for ease on shutting off the water and accessing unfiltered water for things like washing your tractor, watering the flowers, etc.

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #7  
Another consideration is having the ability to bypass your filter for your outside hose bibs. Filters will last longer.

I installed a filter on an outside hydrant that I use to fill my sprayers (3PH & hand) -- I want to prevent clogging the sprayer nozzles with sediment. The filter is installed with hose fittings so that I can remove it in cold weather.

Steve

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #8  
I installed a filter on an outside hydrant that I use to fill my sprayers (3PH & hand) -- I want to prevent clogging the sprayer nozzles with sediment. The filter is installed with hose fittings so that I can remove it in cold weather.

Steve
Guess it depends what you need to filter (around here it is iron). Our hose bibs didn't by-pass the filter. The same plumber updated the plumbing in my MIL's house a few years later and decided to bypass. She did have an issue with the drip irrigation but has no problems with anything under pressure.

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter? #9  
At the well or at the house somewhat depends on the type of pipe from the well to the house. If galvanized I'd recommend at the house. In some wells a sediment tank pre filter saves filter changing often.

/ Water filter by well or by house? Does it matter?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)