Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
What makes the most sense when planning a new house?
I want a primary and a backup system for heating.
I will definitely have a generac in place as well.

Details below if you are willing to digest all of it and thanks for any feedback.

Background-

Just now clearing about an acre of mostly maple trees with some pine.
Building a 1600 sq/ft home on the main floor with a 600 sq/ft garden apartment in the basement.
I will have a woodshop in the basement about 250 sq/ft.
It is sloped so both floors will be ground level.

Currently,
The heat pump (electricity) is the cheapest
Propane varies
The woodstove is pretty expensive ($20k for boiler, splitter, and all that goes to make it happen) guessing 5 cords/year in NC mountains.

I want a primary and a backup system for both levels.

Whew- thanks for reading.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #2  
What's back-up?
No electricity? While you are away?

A propane fired domestic hot water heater tied to hydronic loops is a real winner.

I've got about $5k tied up in wood heat (Two stoves, and a new splitter just last month) Wood is our primary heat, oil fired hydronic is the back up.

I hear those heat pumps are good , but our electricity goes out way too often to depend on one when winter is at it's worst.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #3  
By backup, I assume you mean if one fails, due electrical or machinery failure.

I would do two minisplit heat pumps (one upstairs, one down), and use propane as a backup for your generator, as it stores indefinitely without degrading. Supplement with wood for backup, and use a heat pump water heater, or a heat pump that also heats water.

Solar?

All the best,

Peter

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #4  
I built a house 11 years ago. I put a forced air propane furnace in with a woodburner also in line. 5 simple duct valves (hand operated) change from one to the other.

Wood is free for me (except for my time cutting it) so it made the most sense. I never saw the appeal of the outside wood furnaces. WAY too costly. And if the chimney is done right, there is never an issue of smoke inside. I bring a little load of wood in daily so no huge pile in the basement.

Works great. Oh, my wood furnace cost $1300 new for the 3000 sq ft house.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane
We may do some traveling in winter so we need a way to keep it warm when gone so boiler has to have a backup.
I just retired so no idea how many years I can split carry wood but pretty much committed to using a boiler at some level. In-law has asthema and there isn't a salesman in the U.S. to convince her that her apartment won't sell like smoke. Fine idea and thanks for the details but it isn't an option for us.

As stated, a heat pump is the most cost-effective here but I cannot control it.
I most likely will install a Generac to at least cover the frig and lights, maybe more if I go with heat pumps.

There are a lot of options for both up and downstairs so wondering what others did or others might have a good idea.
Thanks to all who commented already.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #6  
Propane forced air with add on heat pump works well for me. Heat pump serves as AC too.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #7  
I also have 1600 sqft on main floor plus I have full basement. House was built with 6" walls and has propane forced air. I have a woodstove in the living room and bring wood in from the front porch. I have heated the full winter on just wood but normally the furnace kicks on 4am on very cold days. I don't need electricity to heat with this stove.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #8  
Root,
Please don't think I'm directing this just to you. Things like heating systems as well as many tractor activities are related to location. Please give us some idea where you live like a state or even a small country. As you can see at the left I don't list my county either.

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #9  
That is one point; since you are building, if you really work on insulating and sealing your place, the heating / cooling issues go way, way down. Triple pane windows, R30 walls, R60+ roof, etc. It makes everything else easy.

I have fought with the reverse in a couple of homes (leaky, single pane windows, no weatherstripping, etc.).

All the best,

Peter

/ Water-stove vs. Heat pump vs. Propane #10  
Locally natural gas is by far the most economical choice. I’m assuming you don’t have that available? Also a heat pump doesn’t work well in cold temperatures and relies on electric resistance heat to make up the difference.