Water Trough Algae - Pool Shock?

   #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
276
Location
Paris, TX
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
Algae in stock tanks is a constant problem. It's not a huge time waster to clean, but it would sure be nice if it didn't form in the first place. I have researched treating the water with bleach, but that requires 2-3 oz of household bleach per 50 gal trough, and the transport/handling/measuring and long term expense seems like it would be worse than just cleaning the troughs twice a week. A concentrated powder based product, however, might solve those problems as long as it dissolved and dispersed quickly enough to not harm any livestock that used the trough shortly after treatment. I looked into copper sulfate, but there are some sheep that drink from these troughs, so that is a non starter. The other species that use the troughs are horses, goats, dogs, and donkeys.

Has anyone used pool shock or other pool products successfully for this purpose, or anything else for that matter?
 
   #2  

Steppenwolfe

Super Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
5,895
Location
The Blue Ridge Mountains
Tractor
Kubota MX5400, ZD 331, L3301, 1140 RTV, KX 71
Algae in stock tanks is a constant problem. It's not a huge time waster to clean, but it would sure be nice if it didn't form in the first place. I have researched treating the water with bleach, but that requires 2-3 oz of household bleach per 50 gal trough, and the transport/handling/measuring and long term expense seems like it would be worse than just cleaning the troughs twice a week. A concentrated powder based product, however, might solve those problems as long as it dissolved and dispersed quickly enough to not harm any livestock that used the trough shortly after treatment. I looked into copper sulfate, but there are some sheep that drink from these troughs, so that is a non starter. The other species that use the troughs are horses, goats, dogs, and donkeys.

Has anyone used pool shock or other pool products successfully for this purpose, or anything else for that matter?

I don't know for sure, but is there a product to change the ph without hurting the livestock? https://www.cuteness.com/article/conditions-water-algae-grow
 
   #3  

Diggin It

Super Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Messages
9,936
Location
Three Posts A Day. Or less.
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Household bleach is about $2/gallon, sometimes less, so I don't see a lot of cost there. If you want to use some other chemical, look for products for fish ponds/tanks. Pretty sure they're more expensive than bleach though.

How big are the tanks? There are solar powered agitators/aerators that might help.
 
   #4  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2013
Messages
10,290
Location
St Helens, Tasmania, Australia
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD D110
Years ago I visited a mate who worked at a thoroughbred stud = multiple horses. They had goldfish in all of the paddock troughs; 3 or 4 per trough.

:confused3: Seemed to work for them.
 
   #5  

Maxify55

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
493
Location
North Florida
Tractor
LS XR3037HC / Mitsubishi MT372
Plecos {Algae Eaters} are at the pet store and cheap.
They live about 10 yrs or until the horse knocks the trough over.
Whichever comes first
 
   #6  

oosik

Super Star Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
15,627
Location
AMBER, WA
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Will the animals still drink from the trough - if yes, then don't worry about it. A little algae in the trough only bothers you - not them.
 
   #7  

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Joined
Aug 31, 2001
Messages
48,574
Location
South Bend, Indiana (near)
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
If you use pool shock or bleach, you still have to measure either one, so I don't see that there's any benefit over either. They are both sodium hypochlorite, just in different concentrations. You'll still have to treat at the same intervals, so there's no time saving. You'll still have to carry a jug of fluid and a measuring device. You can get bleach at many locations, grocery store, walmart, dollar store, etc... and you can't get pool shock at walmart in the off season (at least around here). You still have to store it as well.
 
   #8  

gunny0628

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2019
Messages
251
Location
High Springs, FL
Tractor
2019 Rural King 55HC
We have a horse farm and several troughs for water. We have goldfish in our troughs which mostly keep the mosquitos down (here in Florida). It really does nothing for the algae. The water has to keep moving or be fresh for the algae to keep away. For us, we just clean our troughs as part of our weekly farm maintenance plan. Even with bleach it won’t be enough to keep the algae down and not harm the animals that are drinking it. Once a year we pressure wash all the troughs. We keep a swimming pool net at each trough so that we can net out debris when we fill them.

Good luck.
 
   #9  

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Joined
Aug 31, 2001
Messages
48,574
Location
South Bend, Indiana (near)
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
In our swimming pool we use bleach to shock and salt water through a chlorine generator for daily chlorine. We used to use regular chlorine before the salt water conversion. We used baquacile for many years before that. But no matter what method we used for sanitation, we always had to add an algaecide. I don't know of any other way to keep algae at bay, other than dump, scrub and refill on a regular basis. Don't know how algaecide would be for horse drinking water. This has to be a commonly dealt with maintenance item for horse owners. Do they all dump, scrub, refill on a regular basis? Or is there horse trough algaecide safe for horses?
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#10  
OP
Argonne

Argonne

Gold Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
276
Location
Paris, TX
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
Household bleach is about $2/gallon, sometimes less, so I don't see a lot of cost there. If you want to use some other chemical, look for products for fish ponds/tanks. Pretty sure they're more expensive than bleach though.

How big are the tanks? There are solar powered agitators/aerators that might help.

7 tanks various sizes and locations and up to 100 gal. Un-attended location. Using household bleach at about 14oz per day will add up to a significant expense, and since there would be about 2500 applications a year, it is a forgone conclusion that spilling during handling will occur with attendant clothing damage, therefore, a liquid product containing sodium hypochlorite is out. When I say pool shock I am talking about a powdered product that remains relatively inert until it is wetted. That could be safely handled and measured quickly, and, purchased in bulk quite cheaply, way cheaper than household bleach.

Among "other products" is copper sulfate, but it kills sheep, so that's out.

The fish ideas are out as well. One or more of these tanks get emptied every day depending upon which ones get attention from the horses. They empty one, and move on to the next.

Automatic waterers are out as well. There are goats roaming this location, and they get into, and destroy, everything. An automatic waterer+goats=$1000 water bill eventually. (A neighbor of mine came up with a fail-safe system that works well, however. He put a sprinkler timer ahead of the automatic valve, so even if the auto-valve gets stuck, the water will only flow for X time and then shut off. I might try it some day, but with multiple locations in this case, it's a non starter anyway).

Oh, hey, just for comic relief, let me add a goat video...[video]https://www.facebook.com/100009544525285/videos/vb.100009544525285/2256215694706559/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab[/video]
 
 
Top