Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ?

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #1  

Spike56

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355
I have a 6" water well (capped off) that an oil company drilled to fracture a nearby well. Best I recall, the well is about 330' deep with water level about 70'. I am considering using this only for cattle and a backup "prepper type" supply (not connect to the house). I have had a water well source previously, so I know some of the "in's and out's".

POWER: I *could* run A/C power from an existing meter loop to the well, it's about 150' away so ($$) trench, wire, conduit (must have, gophers). There is other power nearby if I added a pole and meter loop. But, I am NOT going this route ! Aside from the cost of this hook-up, the power Co. charges about 20-30/ Month just to have another meter. I already have (2) and this really rubs me wrong to pay almost $30 even if you do not use electricity.

I am considering solar, but do not know what all this entails. Anyone have experience with Solar water production ?
May not get this project off the ground due to costs and "what I want to end up with". For me, its a MUST that there has to be a slab, a building (which I would mount solar panels on) and a storage tank inside. My previous well had a building to protect my control box / softener (don't need now) and protect everything against the weather.

One of my concerns about Solar would be during winters. My last well used A/C, so was able to keep heat in the building at night. But, with solar, I really don't want to include battery storage for this purpose ($$).
Also, I could just take a flashlight to see around inside, but would be nice to have a light.

So, right now, I am in the thought / planning process only for the solar option. Do not want any big regrets. Any advice here ? I should mention also, I looked into the deep well hand pumps.... although would be cheaper... not wanting to go that route.

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #2  
I guess you've watched the presentations on the subject on YouTube.
Good luck

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #4  
My neighbor to the south is a big cattle rancher and has two REALLY remote, solar watering stations. However - they are only used in the summer. Winter - he brings the cows in to a feeding yard. Year round use of solar for a watering station does entail added factors. I really don't know how much solar it would take to keep a small building warm enough to provide water during the entire winter. Battery backup would be expensive - considering you could have extended times with cloud cover.

Suggest you contact a solar supplier and see what they recommend - have to offer.

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ?
Sounds like youy would be better off with a wind mill.
I thought about a windmill for a brief moment. Then realized that during the hot months in E Central Texas, we get too much sun, but often July into Sept, not a lot of wind when I would really need the water. Plus, I took a quick look at wind solutions... ($$) Yikes, never knew how much this costs.

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #6  
Windmills are expensive and need yearly maintenance. Climbing the tower to check the oil and pulling the sucker rods and pump barrel is not an easy job either. The only windmill I would ever work on was for my grandfather. He had tied himself about half way up the tower with his belt when his knees gave out on him. After I found him and got him down, Grandmother no longer allowed him to climb the towers. Lol!

If you have no other options solar will work. But even if the price of electricity goes up another 300-400% a Solar pump will never pay for itself. 30 bucks a month for a meter is cheap after dealing with a solar pump for a few years. You can at least use a bleeder orifice or drill a small hole in the drop pipe so the water drains out every time the pump is shut off. Along with a pitless adapter nothing freezes this way when just filling a storage tank or cattle water trough.

But I must admit I also am looking at a solar pump for one of my wells. Not because I think solar will save me any money, as just the opposite will happen. BUT, at least I will have access to water when the grid goes down, which it will do more and more as time goes on. Green energy is the same as a solar powered pump. You only have energy or water when the sun shines. Even when augmented with wind generators, you still only have power or water when the sun shines and/or the wind blows. But unfortunately even that is fast becoming more dependable than grid power.

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #7  
There are battery-less DC systems available such as this:

And Amazon has them too. Some just fill a tank with an overflow and only shut off if the water runs or sun goes down. You can add a DC light for the well house during the day.

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #8  
I have a 6" water well (capped off) that an oil company drilled to fracture a nearby well. Best I recall, the well is about 330' deep with water level about 70'. I am considering using this only for cattle and a backup "prepper type" supply (not connect to the house). I have had a water well source previously, so I know some of the "in's and out's".

POWER: I *could* run A/C power from an existing meter loop to the well, it's about 150' away so ($$) trench, wire, conduit (must have, gophers). There is other power nearby if I added a pole and meter loop. But, I am NOT going this route ! Aside from the cost of this hook-up, the power Co. charges about 20-30/ Month just to have another meter. I already have (2) and this really rubs me wrong to pay almost $30 even if you do not use electricity.

I am considering solar, but do not know what all this entails. Anyone have experience with Solar water production ?
May not get this project off the ground due to costs and "what I want to end up with". For me, its a MUST that there has to be a slab, a building (which I would mount solar panels on) and a storage tank inside. My previous well had a building to protect my control box / softener (don't need now) and protect everything against the weather.

One of my concerns about Solar would be during winters. My last well used A/C, so was able to keep heat in the building at night. But, with solar, I really don't want to include battery storage for this purpose ($$).
Also, I could just take a flashlight to see around inside, but would be nice to have a light.

So, right now, I am in the thought / planning process only for the solar option. Do not want any big regrets. Any advice here ? I should mention also, I looked into the deep well hand pumps.... although would be cheaper... not wanting to go that route.
I’d first be concerned with a fracking well. Was it just to pump out water? Have you had the water tested?

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #9  
There's no "winter" to speak of just east of Austin. However, I'd go electric even with the sun so prevalent. I've had several small solar panels for lights and security and NONE of the panels made it to the third year. All of my electric and water lines are in 2" conduit and pipe for the reason you mention (gophers) and I also went down about 2-3'. I did all the trenching myself with a rented trencher. The first time with a hang-on for my house and barn electric and house well water. Then later with a ride-on for co-op water they made available out here in the sticks. I did all ~1300 feet of PVC pipe water line with the ride-on in one day.

Down Hill.jpg
Up Hill.jpg

/ Water Well Advice ? A/C or Solar ? #10  
Windmills are expensive and need yearly maintenance. Climbing the tower to check the oil and pulling the sucker rods and pump barrel is not an easy job either. The only windmill I would ever work on was for my grandfather. He had tied himself about half way up the tower with his belt when his knees gave out on him. After I found him and got him down, Grandmother no longer allowed him to climb the towers. Lol!

If you have no other options solar will work. But even if the price of electricity goes up another 300-400% a Solar pump will never pay for itself. 30 bucks a month for a meter is cheap after dealing with a solar pump for a few years. You can at least use a bleeder orifice or drill a small hole in the drop pipe so the water drains out every time the pump is shut off. Along with a pitless adapter nothing freezes this way when just filling a storage tank or cattle water trough.

But I must admit I also am looking at a solar pump for one of my wells. Not because I think solar will save me any money, as just the opposite will happen. BUT, at least I will have access to water when the grid goes down, which it will do more and more as time goes on. Green energy is the same as a solar powered pump. You only have energy or water when the sun shines. Even when augmented with wind generators, you still only have power or water when the sun shines and/or the wind blows. But unfortunately even that is fast becoming more dependable than grid power.
The windmill at my grandfathers farm never pumped water in my lifetime. I remember him referring to the wooden platform below the blades and saying he used to stand up there and add oil. He never climbed to the top since I was born, either.

Last edited: