Water Well pump removal ideas

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #11  
Is the well string in a casing? (Should be.) It is possible to use tall "farm" jacks to lift the entire string and pump, 2' at a time with 2 jacks but you'll - need to have a large pipe wrench or clamp of some sort to tighten on the string (yes this works _much_ better with metal pipe!) to keep it from falling back down into the casing. And you're best to recruit several (foolish) friends and a case of beer, or two for the job. Don't forget to have other pipe wrenches to dis-assemble the string as you go. Oh, yeah AND you'll need to remove the well house roof before you start.
I vote for a well driller and their derrick.
Sign me "been there, done that" & know better now.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #12  
The company that services my well uses a machine like this to pull the pump from my 530' well:

You may be able to rent one locally.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #14  
I have available a hydraulic winch 20K, three different electric winches 8K, 12K, 16K, and a small 13.5K PTO logging winch . Not certain which I think is the best choice but will be using a safety backup in any case. As to weight, I want it to handle at least 3K which is double the max strain I expect. Of course that is not shock load strain but I better not have that or I have screwed up big time by then. Oil field pipe would be nice, but not around here. I have thought of using 3 inch sched 40 steel pipe (which I have) or maybe 2 inch pipe , or 2x2x0.25 square tube; probably way over strength but concerned about under engineering it thus this post for ideas.
When is cost not a concern?? however I have had a real problem with the drill/pump companies in this area and their ethics.
As an old well driller and pump man myself, I am ashamed of most people in the pump business these days. In my days there where professionals who knew what they were doing, tried to install the best systems, wanted them to be affordable, and to last a long time. These days no one knows anything about pumps. They just want to put in the most expensive system they can talk you into, stuff it in as fast as they can, and won't return to warranty the crap they put in. So, I feel your pain.

However, if you think the local pump guys are pricks now, ask them to fish out the pump you dropped and they will be real "dhjsadhoyho dkja;fhah's". Make sure you don't drop it. So called safety rope or cable is not a good idea, as it can come lose and stick your pump in the well. Pull from the pipe couplings only. The Upsydazy shown is a safe way to pull if you can find one to rent. Tripods need to be strong and are still scary. Might be best to rent a big back or trackhoe with 25' boom. Don't use the trackhoe to pull, just as a stand. Mount a wench to the hoe so you can lift up straight above the well. Plate and bell or pipe elevators are best. But I have pulled pumps like that with only a couple of short nylon lifting straps with hoops on each end.

Making sure you have everything right before reinstalling the pump as you don't want to have to do it all over again. When you get the pump back to working, adding a Cycle Stop Valve can make it last long enough you won't have to worry about it again.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #15  
The tripod will work fine for vertical loads. Brace the feet at the ground so the legs do not splay out. A chain fall or electric hoist mounted at the top of the tripod can pull up vertically. I would use components rated at a Working Load Limit of a minimum of twice your estimated weight. If the hoist is outside the foot print of the tripod, horizontal loads must be accounted or tripod will come down (angles and/or distance are a factor). A sufficiently stout boom pole mounted on a tractor can provide a rigging point above the well.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #16  
With a snatch block hanging below the tripod and the casing being 2' above ground you will need close to a 30' of tripod.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #17  
I have available a hydraulic winch 20K, three different electric winches 8K, 12K, 16K, and a small 13.5K PTO logging winch . Not certain which I think is the best choice but will be using a safety backup in any case. As to weight, I want it to handle at least 3K which is double the max strain I expect. Of course that is not shock load strain but I better not have that or I have screwed up big time by then. Oil field pipe would be nice, but not around here. I have thought of using 3 inch sched 40 steel pipe (which I have) or maybe 2 inch pipe , or 2x2x0.25 square tube; probably way over strength but concerned about under engineering it thus this post for ideas.
When is cost not a concern?? however I have had a real problem with the drill/pump companies in this area and their ethics.

It is about 40 years since I had to lift pipes and the pump from a well in Australia and I lifted the lot with a Sylvester. These things can move anything that the chain can hold.

Sylvester, coal mining jacking | Science Museum Group Collection shows a photo of what one is and I still have it. Used it a few times since I moved here in July last year.

The short chain with the hook is used to anchor the Sylvester (whatever it is anchored to must be heavier than the load to be moved) and a long chain is needed to be fixed to the object to be moved with the last link of the chain inserted into the oval shaped hole in the metal block - known as an Elliott block. I know who Sylvester was, but I do not know who Elliott was.

The load is moved one inch at a time, in your case and mine in Australia it has to be moved vertically, and when the end of the bar is reached it is necessary to pin the pulling chain through the hole at the left of the photo which has a piece of string through it. The pin is missing in the example shown. There was 210 feet of pipe down the well.

I had previously moved a Fordson Major tractor about 20 feet up a vertical cliff with the same Sylvester. I know, I should not have driven it where I could not reverse or turn, but I was very young and inexperienced then.

Hire somebody with the proper gear to do the job. You could kill yourself trying to do it. Money is then not a concern.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #18  
You don't have to use a tripod taller than your pipe sections, but the taller it is, the less resetting of your pulling clamps.

My pump is only about 70 feet down, on 1 1/4 pipe, so it is much lighter system than deeper pumps. I used a 12 ft tripod, heavy wood and bolt pipe clamps for pulling and holding, and a hand cable winch.

One piece flexible plastic pipe replaced the galvanized. The whole new assembly was laid out on the ground, then lowered into place by hand.

Bruce

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #19  
It can be done and has been done many times.

You have to design a derick ( numerous methods) , select the winch cable and attachment tools, figure out how you lay the pipe down, figure out how to hold the Down hole string in place when couplings are broken out, and lastly devise a safety cable that will hold the pipe if the winch cable breaks. ( a metal plate with a hole large enough to pass over the couplings and with an offset chain attachment point that will grab the tubing if things go wrong. Don’t forget the rain suit!

Attachments

• 92AC6CFD-CDD3-4DFE-982D-FC098F10281D.jpeg
    92AC6CFD-CDD3-4DFE-982D-FC098F10281D.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 60
  • B01424EC-F32A-4283-B68E-E33C0F4893DC.jpeg
    B01424EC-F32A-4283-B68E-E33C0F4893DC.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 56
  • F61BF55B-32B7-49BB-A6CC-F55F43460E20.jpeg
    F61BF55B-32B7-49BB-A6CC-F55F43460E20.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 61
   / Water Well pump removal ideas #20  
With a snatch block hanging below the tripod and the casing being 2' above ground you will need close to a 30' of tripod.
In other words, something similar to the booms on the well service trucks.