Watering new grass seed

/ Watering new grass seed #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
First....a rant

I think 2020 broke every record related to rain fall in NC. For a long time it rained EVERY OTHER DAY! I've got the calendar with my notes to prove it.

Miserable

We got a little break about mid april so I planted seed. 5 weeks no rain and now beware of the drought. I think most my seed died?

Now it seems more like a NC summer.....miserable humidity and like a 50/50 chance for thunder storms every day.

In my mind i'm goin to carolina.

End of rant.

I've lived on a couple golf courses and have played golf for 60 years? I usually got along better with the groundskeepers then the members. And I'm curious.

I was talking to one of the groundskeeper guys about how rain and/or the lack of rain must impact their performance etc.

I would have never thought of it but he said.....

The easiest place to manage a golf course is in Scottsdale AZ. It's in the desert so it almost never rains. The lack of rain allows them to put water exactly where they want it, when, how much and how often.

And Scottsdale can afford it. I have not seen the Hoover dam since they built the new bridge but they showed the water level.

My brother says they got plenty of water out there.

/ Watering new grass seed #2  
Uh, no, they don't have plenty of water.

They are going to start rationing colorado river water this year. Many famers have been asked to, and complied, with not planting crops this year among regions watered solely from the colorado river.

Having lush golf courses in a crazy hot, dry and evaporative place like Arizona is frankly a disgusting abomination, and evidence of the continued folly of mankind. With no signs of the long-term drought abating, many of them will get turned back to desert in the years ahead. A crisis looms.

Anyway sorry about your grass, lol.

/ Watering new grass seed
Building cities in a desert is trouble.

MoKelly
I've been thinking about a thread that lists the craziest places to build cities. Not why...no history...just a list.

My first 3, limiting it to USA are....

New Orleans

Miami

Phoenix

/ Watering new grass seed #7  
Good selections for sure! New Orleans has parts of town that are on solid ground and up to 20 feet above sea level, so it's not all screwed. But Miami is sinking and built on porous rock that floods from below. The corps of engineers just proposed a massive sea wall around the city and everyone lost their minds; they'd rather flood.
All the Arizona cities and Las Vegas are going to have to live with extremely rationed water from now on, looks like. No thank you (and don't you dare thinking about taking any of our great lakes water!!).

/ Watering new grass seed #8  
For all the technology and battery powered cars and private space travel - I am amazed we can’t get large scale desalinization going. That could help the west coast survive.

“Water water everywhere, but not a drop to drink”.

MoKelly

/ Watering new grass seed #9  
Put down seed protector mats to retain moisture. Normally only used to retain grass seed on slopes, but will work also to retain moisture on level spots.

/ Watering new grass seed #10  
in wa state everyone thinks it rains all the time right? we get about 5 months or so of very low rainfall and even in winter there are really only a few months of around 5 inches per month. anyhow, if a yard doesn't have irrigation it is very difficult to start a lawn or even keep new plants alive through the summer. Most people let their lawns die in the summer to have them mostly come back in the fall. We always keep new seed moist but not soaked every day until mowable. sometimes that means multiple light watering per day. If you are getting heavy rain each day watch for erosion and seed floating away. maybe straw or heavy peat moss may work for that situation, but it is not one that we usually have to deal with. A 1" rain day is very uncommon and usually in Nov.