Welding a hydraulic anchor point

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #1  

Oldie68

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6000 and a Ferguson TEA 20
Hi I'm new here. Just acquired a kubota B6000. It has a loader and a backhoe.
When I bought it I noticed one of the hydraulic cylinder anchor points had been obviously welded. Well figuring it was done well I wanted to try out the hoe. Well wouldn't ya know it I hadn't barely touched the ground to rotate and dig with the bucket and clink, the weld on this one point just came away. Obviously not a very well weld I must say.
I'm wondering if a 110 mig welder will be good enough weld 1/8" plate reinforcement and be good enough to weld the "ears" pivot points to the 1/8" plate.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #3  
Yes the welder is capable of making the repair on a little hoe and 1/8" plate. But as Rick mentioned...is the weldor capable?

Perhaps a pic or two and you can get some better tailored advice on the best way/method to make the repair

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #4  
Cylinder mounts are subjected to large loads. They can be repaired/welded, but it is not as simple as adding a piece of 1/8" plate to reinforce. Need to know the base material, pick correct filler material, prepare the joint, align parts, weld with correct process (MIG/TIG/ STICK), and post weld process (stress relieve, machine, etc). A broken culinder mpunt is a big deal.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #5  
Would have to know a lot mote about failed weld and it's location... I weld up to 1/4 inch materials with Hobart Handler 140 (120v) but there is just some things it can not do....And a bigger machine is required.... Need pictures of problem area and previous weld....

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #6  
I usually have very good luck with welding stuff like that but in your case your welder definitely is not big enough for the job , I highly recommend taking it to a good welding shop to have it fixed properly.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #7  
IF you properly clean your metal, and IF you properly bevel everything, and IF you know what you’re doing it’ll probably be fine. But if you slap it back together and run a bird crap weld you’ll be back in the same spot you are now. Possibly worse because if one side fails and the other holds there’s a good chance of bending the cylinder.

/ Welding a hydraulic anchor point #9  
"I'm wondering if a 110 mig welder will be good enough weld 1/8" plate reinforcement and be good enough to weld the "ears" pivot points to the 1/8" plate."

Sounds to me like from your knowledge of welding you would be much better off to spend some time prepping the weld area and take the tractor to a weld shop to have it welded.
Once and done