Welding broken cast iron coat rack.

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack. #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I ave an antique cast iron coat rack that my sister broke. It is about 4 pieces that go from the bottom to the top. The bottom has a lot of cross bracing and so does the top so there will be some stress as I weld it together. It is in storage about 100 mi from here so no pics. any ideas? Just spent a while looking for a pic on line and found nothing like it. Just pic your hands, palms toward you and all 4 fingers lapped on the fingers of the other hand and welding your fingers together. Ed

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack. #2  
Send it to me and I'll fix it with Spray Powder.

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack. #3  
Epoxy! Heck, It's a coat rack!

(modern structural adhesives are remarkable in what they can do. Check out 3M 2216)

Baring that, braze the repair, welding small cast iron "filigree" is for the birds.

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack.
Send it to me and I'll fix it with Spray Powder.

Looked up spray powder and all I got was deodorant, What are you talking about?

CalG
Thanks for the tip on the adhesives. sounds like a great way to get past warpage from heat. Ed

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack. #6  
   / Welding broken cast iron coat rack.
Thanks Yomax4 and Shield arc That is a new one to me. I want one but I would have to go around with a big hammer breaking things so I could practice fixing them. Ed

/ Welding broken cast iron coat rack. #8  
Thanks Yomax4 and Shield arc That is a new one to me. I want one but I would have to go around with a big hammer breaking things so I could practice fixing them. Ed

I'd be happy to lend a hand, Ed. I won't need the hammer...

Terry