Well, it's that time of the year again.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #11  
I'm beginning to hate summer here in Nevada. Used to be the best time of year but the past few years as soon as the temperature rises California wildfires take off and due to prevailing winds Nevada gets all the smoke. 4 big fires just across the Nevada line right now - one in Yosemite National Park taking out a grove of giant Sequoia trees. Heard on the news last night they've arrested some woman for deliberately starting a forest fire near Truckee, California.

This is what my homestead looks like normally:
DSC04662rtbn7-12-22.jpg

This was the view last August. Trying to do any work in smoke as thick as this is not good!
P1010600rtbn7-12-22.jpg

Not quite as bad as that today but there is a lot of haze in the air and the forecasters are warning about air quality.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #12  
Smoke from the fires is no fun. Here is a real time map;
Windy.com is a nice site for showing the prevailing winds;

What is never fun is looking out the front window and seeing flames.

All the best,

Peter

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #13  
Well said. It's unfortunate to say the least, when people get their jollies at the expense of others. As you say, the western states have always had fires which we can only imagine; drought conditions in recent years have only made it worse.

Having said that I threw the Indian tank back into my truck tonight; things are also getting dry here and I would rather carry it and not need it than come across a fire with no way to fight it.

I actually picked one up a few years back, just in case, but found that some seals seem dry rotted.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #14  
They're mostly just O-rings though, pretty easy to rebuild.
I actually picked one up a few years back, just in case, but found that some seals seem dry rotted.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #15  
One of the worst fires we've had was actually several fire that sprang up simultaneously over a stretch of road. Wasn't enough equipment and personnel to go several places at one time. By the time neighboring departments arrived with equipment several hunders of acreas were burning. A landowner followed scored marks in pavement to a farm store with a tire repair shop. An old man pulled a loaded trailer on blown out tire until tire peeled off leaving wheel scattering sparks.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again.
Sorry to see you're dealing with arsonists and wildfires; where I'm at it's not too common, but you see fires all across the country on the news and there is nothing about that I want any part of. Stay safe, stay cool, and just keep on keeping on.

Is that an Our Lady of Fatima monument? It's seems so splendidly out of place with all that roadway around it.
Yes it is. Just a small monument though. We've them spread all over the country on the side of the roads, specially on the pilgrim routes. The actual Sanctuary of Fatima along with Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary is just 20 or so miles Southeast of this fire. This is actually a very big pilgrim route to there.

Just checked some pictures this morning, all burned. Lots of farms lost their cultures and livestock. Very sad and frustrating.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #17  
Once again the landscape here has totally changed. A week ago all the field grass was nice and green. We have had very little rain and now - everything is popcorn dry and tan. Our wildfire season has begun.

My "lawns" right around the house are still green. That will change also in a week or two.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #18  
I'm beginning to hate summer here in Nevada. Used to be the best time of year but the past few years as soon as the temperature rises California wildfires take off and due to prevailing winds Nevada gets all the smoke. 4 big fires just across the Nevada line right now - one in Yosemite National Park taking out a grove of giant Sequoia trees. Heard on the news last night they've arrested some woman for deliberately starting a forest fire near Truckee, California.

This is what my homestead looks like normally:
View attachment 753959

This was the view last August. Trying to do any work in smoke as thick as this is not good!
View attachment 753960

Not quite as bad as that today but there is a lot of haze in the air and the forecasters are warning about air quality.

Thats rough DesertEagle71. I hope it clears up for you.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again. #19  
Yes it is. Just a small monument though. We've them spread all over the country on the side of the roads, specially on the pilgrim routes. The actual Sanctuary of Fatima along with Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary is just 20 or so miles Southeast of this fire. This is actually a very big pilgrim route to there.

Just checked some pictures this morning, all burned. Lots of farms lost their cultures and livestock. Very sad and frustrating.

That's terrible, I'm sorry so many are losing their homes and property, though I hope the loss of life is minimal. Property might be easier to replace than ones life, but it doesn't take away the hurt.

/ Well, it's that time of the year again.
That's terrible, I'm sorry so many are losing their homes and property, though I hope the loss of life is minimal. Property might be easier to replace than ones life, but it doesn't take away the hurt.
As of now, no lives have been lost yet. Some injuries that happen during fire fighting but no deaths thankfully.