Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices?

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
Like the title says... Anyone have experience or know of any systems that can cutoff the well pump and shut the water in the event of a line break inside the house (or outside for that matter)? I haven't done the google search yet as I am more interested in what real people have tried and what works or doesn't work vs just the web sites of people selling them. At least to get started.

Thanks for any input.
Dave

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #2  
Like the title says... Anyone have experience or know of any systems that can cutoff the well pump and shut the water in the event of a line break inside the house (or outside for that matter)? I haven't done the google search yet as I am more interested in what real people have tried and what works or doesn't work vs just the web sites of people selling them. At least to get started.

Thanks for any input.
Dave
if the pressure drops enough, it should with a broke pipe, this will cut the pump

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #3  
It's as simple as a switch that senses water flow through pipe and start's a per set number of minutes that flow can continue until switch breaks power supply to pump and must be manually reset before pump will operate. The problem with that is if you put a hose on a tree over night. That problem is overcome by putting an independent timer on hose that runs for xx minutes,gos off for x minutes then back on for xx minutes ect ect. Rarly will water be used for more than 2 hours without interuption so that might be set point on safety timer.

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #4  
Our new pump controller (IIRC Honeywell) has a bunch of safety features built in, e.g. run dry, but also pipe breakage. It senses the pump load, and can tell when the load/flow changes. It wasn't cheap as it is a three phase controller, but it did have a ton of features.

Of course, it doesn't sense when there is a break downstream of our storage tanks...

All the best,

Peter

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #5  
The switch linked in post #2 will work Square D has a few similar switches.
They function as normal pressure switches untill for some reason the pressure drops below 15 PSI at which point it shuts down the pump,
to reset it you have to lift the little lever to engage the contacts and hold it till your system has more 15 PSI in it then it will function as normal.
It will work with a major break, depending upon your pumps capabilities and the size of the broken line it may not provide the protection desired.
My pump can flow through a 3/4" hydrant full open and other normal tap and hose usages and it will maintain over 15 PSI. If the main line fails it will trip. I also have water detectors on the basement floor to alarms.

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #6  
The Square D unit on the house well works as the OP description. It has performed that function without fail for over 30 years that we have been in the house. It get's tested when we turn the water off during extended absences.

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices?
Thanks, guys. I can see that the listed switch could address some of the issues, but not the ice maker line that pops off and destroys your house while you are gone, for example. I can see how the VFD controllers could have plenty of added features that might help but we just have a simple single phase pump. But that pump switch would have some definite benefits to it for sure. I just don't think it covers the potential flooding issues enough.

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #8  
At my brother's summer house, we simply turn the pump off (flip the pump breaker) while they are gone. Eliminates the possibility of major flooding and the pressure tank will still feed the fridge and an occasional flush.

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #9  
Low pressure curt off switches only work with big leaks. Small leaks will still flood the house. Plus, low pressure switches are a nuisance, as you have to go hold the lever to start the pump again after every power outage or every time the wife turns on one too many hoses.

The variable flow and constant pressure from a VFD is great, but VFD's do have "lots of features", which along with high cost is a big problem. All you want is water to come out of the faucets when opened, and the more "features" the controller has, the less likely water will come out when needed. Small leaks are not one of the features a VFD can protect from, as it just thinks you are running a drip system or something. There are some leak detectors that hard wire to the pressure switch, but they have to be close to the pressure switch as well.

If you have wifi, many options are available. I use an Aeotec heavy duty smart switch to send power to my pump. This switch is controlled by a Samsung smarthub. Not only can I see what my pump is doing, but am able to turn it on and off from my phone when needed. I use Samsung leak detectors all through the house and out buildings where there is water. Just a little moisture on any of these leak detectors and my pump turns off immediately. The biggest problem I have has is when my little granddaughter picks up one of the leak detectors and her little sweaty fingers shuts off the pump. Lol!!!

/ Well pump cutoff switches - anti-flooding devices? #10  
I have made up several for friends, after one of them suffered a HW heater leak. I used a Wagner WS-1 Wet Switch Water Detector connected to a 24 volt HVAC contactor and a 24 VAC transformer. The unit is a puck shaped device that detects water, and is place on the floor. If water is detected it kills the power to the pump and/or HW heater.

paul