Well that was fun.

/ Well that was fun. #51  
Doesn't look like much Jeep is left in those rigs. Nice though.

As far as far out builds go, I've always liked Chain Link.
18axeamszd31ajpg.jpg

I don't know what if anything it started out to be but there's just no tellin what folks will come up with next.

I mean there really is no tellin.

2006-smart-forfun2-concept-side-1024x768.jpg

/ Well that was fun. #53  
Only thing not Jeep is the axles.

I was looking specifically at post #43 when I thought that. Looks like all that is left is the firewall area and maybe some of the drivetrain. I've owned a Cherokee of some sort for the last 23 years, I got the first one when my son was a baby so easy to remember. The salt is not nice to them up here. I can't count how many panels I have welded on to it so I know the guts of the beast but otherwise it keeps on chugging away.

/ Well that was fun. #54  
I was looking specifically at post #43 when I thought that. Looks like all that is left is the firewall area and maybe some of the drivetrain. I've owned a Cherokee of some sort for the last 23 years, I got the first one when my son was a baby so easy to remember. The salt is not nice to them up here. I can't count how many panels I have welded on to it so I know the guts of the beast but otherwise it keeps on chugging away.

Yeah, they are very dependable. I wheel an MJ buggy that has 272K miles on the engine/trans.

The first buggy, black cage, red bead locks is built from a 2dr cherokee, 4L, 5 spd. Orange one is a Grand Cherokee, V8, auto. Black one is a Gand Cherokee, 4.0L, auto. All are 150K miles or more.

Getting harder to find worthy Cherokees. Getting used up. :(

/ Well that was fun. #55  
Only thing not Jeep is the axles.

I suspect the axles were the first things to go. They were in my Toy. Stock Heep fare Dana 30s and 40s won't run much tire. Not and live for more than nanosecond. IFS axles are even shorter lived. For buggies engine, tranny and transfer case swaps and build ups aren't uncommon. Usually the only thing left of any original rig is a few pieces of sheet metal, the grill usually and maybe the seats if that. Most of those rock bouncers are built from the ground up from raw tubing because normal frames just fold up on the first rock they hit. They only highway they'll ever see is from the back of a trailer. High dollar fun for sure. It may be cheaper to take up flying and that ain't cheap.
In many ways it resembles a drug habit.:mad: It starts cheap and before you know it you have thousands into it.:eek: Then comes denial, you really don't want to know how much,:ashamed:. Then you find yourself lusting to spend more :drool: and more :confused2:. You've been warned.:laughing:

/ Well that was fun. #56  
Man, you guys are making me miss my Cruiser! Here's a couple pics from right down the road before I sold it.
Cruiser Armadillo Alley 02.jpg cruiser_01.jpg

The ex has all the pics from Johnson Valley, Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy, Swamp Lake, Truckhaven and a bunch of other trails I can't remember the names of all over the Southwest.

To the OP - There's a plug-in for the cab switch that lays on top of the trans / transfer case. Mine came unplugged and the result is no four wheel drive.

/ Well that was fun. #57  
Yeah, they are very dependable. I wheel an MJ buggy that has 272K miles on the engine/trans.

The first buggy, black cage, red bead locks is built from a 2dr cherokee, 4L, 5 spd. Orange one is a Grand Cherokee, V8, auto. Black one is a Gand Cherokee, 4.0L, auto. All are 150K miles or more.

That's because the OEMs keep building more stuff for the soccer mom market. It's harder if not impossible to find a real off road worthy rigs on the showroom floor these days. Maybe the Jeep Rubicon and that's about it anymore. The so called Toyota FJ Cruiser was a bad joke. I think it's gone now too although I'm not sorry to see it gone. The first glance told me it was junk. Take a look underneath all the plastic, off road badging and push buttons, if it has IFS axles, keep walking. If you want something truly capable off road, plan on buying a good welder and rolling up your sleeves. Then it won't matter much whose brand is on it. There is a saying that goes, real rigs are built not bought.

/ Well that was fun. #58  

Yep, my favorite of the 4 I've owned was the Grand. I loved the coil springs on the rear, it could eat up the bumps, really comfy Jeep. My 99 needs leafs again, bah. It's an amazing snow mover for a skinny driveway though. That's the only reason I've put the time into replacing so much swiss cheese metal. The frame has been patched with frame stiffeners.

/ Well that was fun. #59  
NO Samurai pictures?

I use my for chores around the place... not offroad fun runs.

I do see some seriously modified Samurai's running around the Sierras...

/ Well that was fun. #60  
I suspect the axles were the first things to go. They were in my Toy. Stock Heep fare Dana 30s and 40s won't run much tire. Not and live for more than nanosecond. IFS axles are even shorter lived. For buggies engine, tranny and transfer case swaps and build ups aren't uncommon. Usually the only thing left of any original rig is a few pieces of sheet metal, the grill usually and maybe the seats if that. Most of those rock bouncers are built from the ground up from raw tubing because normal frames just fold up on the first rock they hit. They only highway they'll ever see is from the back of a trailer. High dollar fun for sure. It may be cheaper to take up flying and that ain't cheap.
In many ways it resembles a drug habit.:mad: It starts cheap and before you know it you have thousands into it.:eek: Then comes denial, you really don't want to know how much,:ashamed:. Then you find yourself lusting to spend more :drool: and more :confused2:. You've been warned.:laughing:

I've been building rigs since 1975. Don't need to warn me.

And why do you insist on calling Jeeps Heeps. You are obviously doing it in a degrading manner. Typical of Mall Cruisers.