Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
In the last several years, we have had horrible power outage situations in California Sacramento valley due to summer fire.
Last week alone, we had two power outages for 2 1/2 days.
The generator is necessary for living in California.... unbelievable

Purchased this generator for replacing Firman T07571 8450/6750 on propane gas runs.
Due to not enough powering the entire house and had a horrible experience with a Firman generator which had a micro switch on the main selector switch that had malfunctioned since purchase and customer service was nightmare.

This generator has 11200/8500 of propane gas which is a huge difference.
jkk

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #2  
A good gen is a must. I know I can't afford a full house self contained unit but I got a champion 11500 start up where it's powered into the whole house. Throw the interlock and a breaker and lights are back on.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #3  
Have one in the shop right now that has a semi faulty battery/power switch. Dealer nor his distributor could come up with a replacement switch. Found that only one side of the two rows of contacts are faulty. Had to un-solder the wires and solder than onto the pins on the opposite sides.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #4  
I viable alternative to these box store generators is a used 8 to 10kw light tower, the kind they use to light up construction sites. They are getting relatively cheap, as most construction companies are moving to LED light towers which require hardly any power at all. These older ones (could have 10000 hours on them) are usually good to 20000 hours before major maintenance, since the rental companies that lease them to construction, usually take good care of them. Nothing like a diesel powered generator running at 1800 rpms, as opposed to those 3600 rpm box store screamers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180410_155546266.jpg
    IMG_20180410_155546266.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20180410_155559212.jpg
    IMG_20180410_155559212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
   / Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #5  
I viable alternative to these box store generators is a used 8 to 10kw light tower, the kind they use to light up construction sites. They are getting relatively cheap, as most construction companies are moving to LED light towers which require hardly any power at all. These older ones (could have 10000 hours on them) are usually good to 20000 hours before major maintenance, since the rental companies that lease them to construction, usually take good care of them. Nothing like a diesel powered generator running at 1800 rpms, as opposed to those 3600 rpm box store screamers.
Those are nice. Used to have them at my work. My choice is a propane generator because of the thousand gallon tank option. My diesel use doesn't qualify for a storage tank. Maybe 20 gallons a month.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #6  
Portable gens are noisy…..but a nice noise when its cold and dark Powerless night. The only time i hear complaints about them is when there quiet during a cold and dark powerless noght.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review
Portable gens are noisy…..but a nice noise when its cold and dark Powerless night. The only time i hear complaints about them is when there quiet during a cold and dark powerless noght.
Yes,, the generator noise is quite annoying especially in nighttime

Will make a soundproof box with Styrofoam.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #8  
Air cooled generators need airflow. Boxing them in can destroy them

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #9  
there are videos on youtube about sound reduction, just using leaning drywall to deaden and deflect sound while still providing plenty of ventilation.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review
Operating this kind of generator with propane gas from a big tank is much cheaper and running without interruption for pouring the gasoline.
but losing some wattage from the full capacity.
That is the reason I have purchased this generator.
jkk