Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review
not true...most non inverter conventional generators keep it below 8% THD. My portable briggs keeps it below 6%. Most non inverter whole house units keep it less than 5%.

Inverter units can get it down to 2%. Public utility lines are only regulated to keep it below 5%.
I am wondering if you or members in here have any bad experience with conventional generator that has 20- 25 THD rate on the sensitive electronic devices
or you just concerned about high THD theory that affecting to the sensitive electronic devices?
I haven't had any problems with high rate THD conventional generators in my experience on my electronic devices like I meant above.
Thanks.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #42  
Portable generators CAN cover power outages, but that doesn't mean they should. They were engineered for job site power. Marketing types tried to sell more units by appealing to people who wanted a cheap alternative to an actual home generator.

Sometimes, it is better to use the tool designed for the job. Get yourself a Generac or similar generator that runs on propane or natural gas.

We have a lot of power outages in the Rocky Mountains. So we've had several generators.
I should point out that if you use a generator a lot, you probably also have a backup generator....

The main decisions that affected our choice:

1. What type of fuel? We don't have natural gas here.
2. Do we really need 220V during an outage or will 110V do?
3. Open frame type or enclosed type
4. Electric start or pull start
5. Automatic start and transfer switch or manual?
6. Battery backup & inverter?

I think we tried all combinations in our six generators so far.
Two sizes of gasoline pull start Honda generators. Both 110V only. A 2KW & 3.5KW
One commercial welding generator - gasoline 110/220 7.5KW (Miller )
Two sizes of propane powered Generacs from Home Depot: 7.5KW 110V only & 110/220 15KW.

All manual transfer switch or just extension cords on the Hondas.
We never did try any of the open framed screamers - all of these are quieter and inclosed
Never did try a full automatic transfer switch or battery backup & inverters. Someday, maybe.
Have not tried diesel. Frankly it just gets too cold here to reliably start a diesel.

rScotty
Every one of these generators worked fine and did the job. All different, but no real complaints.
Right now we are using the propane powered 15KW Generac from Home Depot.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #43  
I am wondering if you or members in here have any bad experience with conventional generator that has 20- 25 THD rate on the sensitive electronic devices
or you just concerned about high THD theory that affecting to the sensitive electronic devices?
I haven't had any problems with high rate THD conventional generators in my experience on my electronic devices like I meant above.
Thanks.
The only issue ive had as far as portable generators go has ALWAYS been with harbor freight predator units. I have had so many calls on these units frying 120v appliances over the years….its insane. They have no issue with the 240 devices, only 120 devices. Usually i find one leg at 30 some volts the other leg at 210 volts or such. Houses with destroyed lights, tvs, refrigerator, freezers, garage door openers, and the like.

my own computer wouldnt work on my old portable as ups wouldnt function on dirty power. The same ups works great on my whole house unit.

i have a few customers burn out their wells on portable generators.

I wouldnt trust my $5,000 built in refrigerator to a $400 generator. But thats just me.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #44  
The only issue ive had as far as portable generators go has ALWAYS been with harbor freight predator units. I have had so many calls on these units frying 120v appliances over the years….its insane. They have no issue with the 240 devices, only 120 devices. Usually i find one leg at 30 some volts the other leg at 210 volts or such. Houses with destroyed lights, tvs, refrigerator, freezers, garage door openers, and the like.

my own computer wouldnt work on my old portable as ups wouldnt function on dirty power. The same ups works great on my whole house unit.

i have a few customers burn out their wells on portable generators.

I wouldnt trust my $5,000 built in refrigerator to a $400 generator. But thats just me.
what wattage unit?

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #45  
what wattage unit?
Lots of different units. All pretty much below 8-10kw as i recall.

now days i wont touch them, i only work on generac units anymore after retiring.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #46  
I’m trying to return this generator. Amazon is giving me a big run around. They are now claiming it is a non returnable item.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review
Here are some specific sensitive electronic devices I have and never had any problems with <25% THD generator for the last 15 years.

Of course, I have 3 refrigerators, 1 freezer, a well pump, gate opener, so many rooms and outsize lights etc., all are 110V except the well pump they don't have any problem either.

I am sure and agreed it would be good if the generator had lower THD rate but to me so many people just worry about THD rate too much without any experience.

JKK

High advanced computer built on Feb 2022
1.jpg
4 routers for AI mesh system
2.jpg
6 security cameras.
3.jpg

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #48  
Here are some specific sensitive electronic devices I have and never had any problems with <25% THD generator for the last 15 years.

Of course, I have 3 refrigerators, 1 freezer, a well pump, gate opener, so many rooms and outsize lights etc., all are 110V except the well pump they don't have any problem either.

I am sure and agreed it would be good if the generator had lower THD rate but to me so many people just worry about THD rate too much without any experience.

JKK

High advanced computer built on Feb 2022
View attachment 756174
4 routers for AI mesh system
View attachment 756175
6 security cameras.
View attachment 756176
I wonder if having so many loads on the genny absorbs most of all of the harmonics that would otherwise damage electronics.

Another thought - perhaps not all "dirty"generators put out the same kind of harmonics.
Some might just have a lot of phase jitter, for instance, that may not necessarily cause excess heat in small components. Square wave or large voltage steps contain high levels of damaging harmonics which are likely to turn into heat and fry small parts.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #49  
I’ll try to find the manual for my old generator to see if it lists THD, but it caused problem with my pellet stove board.
If Amazon won’t take this one back, at least it will run my well pump.

/ Westinghouse Generator Model No: WGen9500DF review #50  
Lots of different units. All pretty much below 8-10kw as i recall.

now days i wont touch them, i only work on generac units anymore after retiring.
is it always the avr in the head?