What are these bolts for, massey 35/835

/ What are these bolts for, massey 35/835 #1  

HankStains

Tractor
Fordson Super Major, Massey 835-DS, Energic 521, John Deere 420, Case 580B CK
Hi, started the repaint and tarting up of the 835-ds, (which is basically a 35) and so far so good. If you are in europe have to recommend Tracteurbits.com for all old tractor parts. great service and very reasonably priced.
Anyways, need a bit of help identifying the reason for two studs and two holes in the rear axle. It looks like a mounting for something but don't know what!! any ideas?
Cheers
Hank.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 128
   / What are these bolts for, massey 35/835 #2  
I believe the TO35's had an option for a second battery, and those were the bolt holes for the 2nd battery mount. They originally used the Standard 23c diesel which was (and mine still is) notoriously hard to start. At least I remember either hearing or reading that a long time ago.

/ What are these bolts for, massey 35/835
Spot on Cougsfan found a picture of one. looks like a good idea. they (35s et al) are very difficult to start. Mine has a seperate gas/diesel pot with a hand Pump/primer and a heater plug in the inlet manifold. Very strange.....
1634982231424.png

/ What are these bolts for, massey 35/835 #4  
Cougsfan is correct, I have a Ferguson FE35 over here in England, the first 35s were built before the period of joining with Massey Harris and were built from 1956 to 1958 with Ferguson grey tin work and a bronze & gold castings and are known as Ferguson Gold Belly tractors, in early 1958 the colour scheme changed to Red and Grey but if they were fitted with the Standard 23C engine the date plate still read FE35 it wasn't until the purchase of Perkins they started fitting the 3 cylinder engine they then became MF 35.
But this strays from the question, The FE 35 did have two batteries both being 6 volts as mine did, but I soon converted it to one 12v as 6 volt batteries are very expensive
However I have seen some FE 35 at shows, were they are fitted with two 12 volt batteries wired in tandem to still give 12 volts this gives a stronger turnover speed when starting and overcomes the starting problem.The picture below is my 1958 FE 35 which is a semi industrial version and only 500 were built, I bought it with the loader and it is fitted with twin brakes with rear wheel weights and the tires
img029.jpg
were water filled,