What attachment might be best to use?

/ What attachment might be best to use? #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,
I have a brush hog customer with a newly purchased 3 acre "lot".
I mowed it the other day and it is extremely rough with large ruts and dirt piles from a forestry mulcher that was apparently in there when the ground was very soft. Really tore it up.

I am wondering what a good attachment might be to use to just try to smooth it out a bit. I was thinking a smaller disk for my 3038E might do ok. I just would like to kind of smooth it just a bit to make brush hogging a little less difficult.
It is too rough, too many ruts etc., for a box blade or rear blade I think.

Thanks for any ideas.

/ What attachment might be best to use? #2  
Recommend a drawbar implement, stays on the ground as tractor bounces over ruts. Old fashion disk would smooth out plowed fields (old school farming tools)

some newer fancier stuff

/ What attachment might be best to use? #3  
I would recommend something like a land plane grading scraper.

/ What attachment might be best to use? #4  
Last edited:
   / What attachment might be best to use? #5  
Rear rake with drop down grader blade.

/ What attachment might be best to use? #6  
Rear rake with drop down grader blade.

That's what I use. Lightweight is the downside. It is a 3pt rear rake with drop down grader blade, has blade end caps on swivels, and two adjustable height trailing wheels. Very handy for some tasks - useless for others.

I loaned it to a friend to do his horse corrals and he didn't think it did what he wanted. I have found it is better for maintaining a dirt driveway than on any other surface so far. It isn't heavy enough or sturdy enough to actually construct a dirt driveway.
rScotty

/ What attachment might be best to use? #8  
What was the forestry mulching?
I'd like to hear more about the mulching, too. We don't do that where I live. Things grow slowly in the rocky mountains. We put in roads with a bulldozer - a process that exposes raw ground with the expectation that the road will simply stay unchanged until slowly erased by the erosion of wind and weather.
rScotty

/ What attachment might be best to use?
Recommend a drawbar implement, stays on the ground as tractor bounces over ruts. Old fashion disk would smooth out plowed fields (old school farming tools)

some newer fancier stuff
Draw bar is a good ide. Didn't think of that but tractor bouncing around is part of the problem.

/ What attachment might be best to use?
I would recommend something like a land plane grading scraper.
Tractor is bouncing around too much. Things like that or a box blade won't stay on the ground for a second! Surface is too uneven.