What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #31  

What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?​

Fuel age and condensation.

I never use red off-road diesel, which for me would be from a Citgo station.

I pay more for fully taxed highway diesel from the busy Chevron.

I buy only nine gallons are a time. I almost empty the tractor tank before adding fresh diesel. Not a good idea to add fresh fuel to old fuel when the tractor tank is half full.

Fresh fuel is the bottom line.
Interesting. New Holland emphasizes keeping the tank full all the time to keep condensation from forming in it. I tend to be very assiduous about that in winter, but less so in summer. But I don't think I've ever left a tank less than 3/4 full, ever. On rare occasions after a big snowstorm, I might run it down under a half and fill it up again, but Now you have me thinking.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #32  
I don't relate fuel problems with the specific age of the fuel. I relate it to contamination during storage, hauling, transfer.

Imagine an above ground storage tank that's half full or near empty. Imagine it sits that way for long periods of time. Right now our air temp is 10F, bright sunshine. What's going on inside that tank as the Sun heats it? Maybe that tank is never full. Maybe it does this process every single day. Would the old fuel that's there tend to get contaminated? Then imagine the contaminates that are added whenever more fuel is added? Pretty soon there are "new lifeforms" starting in there. We already know algae thrives in Diesel Fuel.

How the fuel is handled after it is made determines whether you engine gets "bad diesel" fuel. i don't believe the refineries make a run of "bad diesel" and then market it. Some of the fuel problems can be caused by the distributor who stores the fuel, some can be caused by the people who sell you the fuel, and some of it caused by the way you, the end user, handles the fuel.
You can't do much about the distributor or fuel supplier handles fuel except to vote with your dollars. If you get a load of questionable fuel, call your supplier and tell him. They want your business so they'll either make it right or you can find another supplier.

The only fuel problem I ever encountered was on a tractor that I bought. I had just brought it to our Montana ranch from New Mexico and before I got it off the trailer, the temperature dropped below freezing. I drove it out to feed the cows and it ran down on me. I had ice in the water separator and in the fuel filter. I used a heat gun to thaw the filter and water separator out and drained the water out. I thought that was the fix. I drove out again and had a run down. Once again, water in separator and the filter have frozen. I suctioned out the water from the bottom of the tank and I removed about a quart of water. I knew I didn't get it all but I could not get any more out of the tank. Before starting, there after, I drained the water separator and the fuel filter before every start into a clear glass jar. I could see the water that these devices trapped. I treated the fuel with PS White and continued this routine until I had no more water in the drainage. No more problems. I don't know whether the previous owner had a supply problem or had a "wet" storage tank. But I never had a problem again. I check my storage tanks every year and treat the fuel with Power Service. (It's not my intention to plug Power Service. It is just what I use and it works for me in my equipment management system.) I have a filter on my supply hose. I pay attention to make sure that I have winter diesel in the cold months and PS White helps reduce the pour point and helps any water to accrete on the fuel filter and drop to the bottom to be drained off.
I try to keep my tractor tanks full to minimize condensation and I buy my fuel from a service station that sells a lot of red dye diesel.

You folks who live in humid climates need to really manage your fuel to minimize condensation. If you have bacteria (it's not "algae" - algae is a plant that requires sunlight which is in short supply in a fuel tank) it's because you have water in your tanks because the bacteria live in the water/fuel interface and eat the fuel and leave you with sludge to clog the fuel delivery system. There are biocides you can use to help control the bacterial contamination because you can't stop condensation, but you can minimize it. I'm fortunate to live in a drier climate where I don't have serious condensation issues.

Opinions are like belly button - everybody has one. This is mine on What creates "bad diesel" fuel.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #33  

Fuel age and condensation.

I never use red off-road diesel, which for me would be from a Citgo station.

I pay more for fully taxed highway diesel from the busy Chevron.

I buy only nine gallons are a time. I almost empty the tractor tank before adding fresh diesel. Not a good idea to add fresh fuel to old fuel when the tractor tank is half full.

Fresh fuel is the bottom line.
Been using red dye diesel fuel for 20 plus years NEVER had any issues,Stored in my tanks for 6-9 months at a time but always treated with biocide and anti-gel products.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 384

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #34  
The color of the fuel makes no difference in how good or bad it is, it all comes down to what Jerry said about how the fuel is handled and stored. The bad off road fuel I got was from the co-op, they have above ground tanks that I doubt have ever been treated or looked after since it is not a major source of their income. I will say the fuel I bought from them did not "smell" or feel right on my hands (yeah I can be a clutz sometimes) but my neighbor recommended it so I figured it was just me. I'm guessing the reason he does not have problems is because he buys it in a 100 gallon bed tank on his truck that has extra filters on the pump hose where I keep mine in 5 gallon cans stored inside a non heated garage.

I never had any problems before I tried the co-ops diesel and have not had any issues after going back to buying fuel from the truck stop and for no more than I use the few cents difference ain't breaking the bank.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #35  

How the fuel is handled after it is made determines whether you engine gets "bad diesel" fuel. i don't believe the refineries make a run of "bad diesel" and then market it. Some of the fuel problems can be caused by the distributor who stores the fuel, some can be caused by the people who sell you the fuel, and some of it caused by the way you, the end user, handles the fuel.
You can't do much about the distributor or fuel supplier handles fuel except to vote with your dollars. If you get a load of questionable fuel, call your supplier and tell him. They want your business so they'll either make it right or you can find another supplier.

The only fuel problem I ever encountered was on a tractor that I bought. I had just brought it to our Montana ranch from New Mexico and before I got it off the trailer, the temperature dropped below freezing. I drove it out to feed the cows and it ran down on me. I had ice in the water separator and in the fuel filter. I used a heat gun to thaw the filter and water separator out and drained the water out. I thought that was the fix. I drove out again and had a run down. Once again, water in separator and the filter have frozen. I suctioned out the water from the bottom of the tank and I removed about a quart of water. I knew I didn't get it all but I could not get any more out of the tank. Before starting, there after, I drained the water separator and the fuel filter before every start into a clear glass jar. I could see the water that these devices trapped. I treated the fuel with PS White and continued this routine until I had no more water in the drainage. No more problems. I don't know whether the previous owner had a supply problem or had a "wet" storage tank. But I never had a problem again. I check my storage tanks every year and treat the fuel with Power Service. (It's not my intention to plug Power Service. It is just what I use and it works for me in my equipment management system.) I have a filter on my supply hose. I pay attention to make sure that I have winter diesel in the cold months and PS White helps reduce the pour point and helps any water to accrete on the fuel filter and drop to the bottom to be drained off.
I try to keep my tractor tanks full to minimize condensation and I buy my fuel from a service station that sells a lot of red dye diesel.

You folks who live in humid climates need to really manage your fuel to minimize condensation. If you have bacteria (it's not "algae" - algae is a plant that requires sunlight which is in short supply in a fuel tank) it's because you have water in your tanks because the bacteria live in the water/fuel interface and eat the fuel and leave you with sludge to clog the fuel delivery system. There are biocides you can use to help control the bacterial contamination because you can't stop condensation, but you can minimize it. I'm fortunate to live in a drier climate where I don't have serious condensation issues.

Opinions are like belly button - everybody has one. This is mine on What creates "bad diesel" fuel.
Good stuff. Thanks for the correction regarding algae/bacteria. I've always heard it called algae. I'll adjust my verbage accordingly.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #36  
Have you tried any fuel conditioners/anti-gel additives?

So far, I'm still running on the OE fuel filter. Bowl is clean, fuel is crystal clear. News of bad fuel spreads fast these days considering the price. If you're having problems, check with neighbors and friends and locals about whether they're having filter issues, too. After that, might check to make sure you've got the right filter.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #37  
While I take all the usual precautions with my fuel I also use a funnel that has a very fine mesh that separates water from the fuel.
After having gelled once and having a long cold walk home I learned my lesson.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #38  
I think it's been already covered earlier, but Diesel fuel gelling due to low temperature & adding anti-gel additives is quite a different situation vs. "gelling" due to bacterial growth as a result of water contamination.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #40  
I'm burning home heating oil in my 1990 kubota engines with high pressure pump. It was fuel I bought 2yrs ago and keep in a 275gal tank. Condensation is what grows water/algee. Condensation is made from not keeping a tank full with wide temperature changes. I do treat all my fuel for algee, the bulk tank got it at delivery and when in winter I treat my machines with a dash of antigell. I have never changed a fuel filter for a poor running condition. But i also use a golden rod filter on my pump.