What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ?

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

I'm trying to find the weights of each item related to Massey GC1700 product. The ones I could find in manuals is shown below:

the GC bucket weighs 170 lbs. (in manual)
the GC 2315 mmm deck is 235 lbs (mulcher 54") (in manual)
the GC 2326 mmm desk is 275 lbs (drive on 60") (in manual)

GC1715 tractor including wheels & tires is 1419 lbs (with joystick but not fel or tire loading) (in manual)
GC1705 tractor " " 1397 lbs (with joystick but not fel or tire loading) (in manual)
GC1720 tractor " " 1452 lbs (with joystick but not fel or tire loading) (in manual
GC1710 tractor " " 1353 lbs (with joystick but not 3 pr linkage or fel or tire loading) (in manual

the GC cb65 back hoe weighs ?

how much does the fel weigh (if bucket is 170 lbs and joystick is in tractor weight already) ? (DL95 fel manual does not say)

Snowblower and hitch/mount ?

If you have loaded (window or rv fluid) rears sized 26 x 12.0-12 what does that fluid weight add ? (I know rimguard would be 30% more)

Trying to figure out trailer weight load issues.

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #2  
The CB65 Backhoe is 635 lbs (doesnt say if that includes the bucket which the 12" is around 55 lbs)
The DL95 FEL is 393 lbs and does not mention if that includes the bucket.

My guess is that either include the bucket weight since it does not add up the total weight listed for the GC1710.

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #3  
We have a scale on our forklift. Very handy for things other than commerce, sometimes :) (up to the capacity of the lift, which as around 6000#).

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #4  
My GC2610 TLB if I remember correctly, is 3000 pounds + the MMM

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #5  
You are being entirely too safe and methodical. Ha ! Come on now, what sort of trailer are you about to put the thing on ? Anyway, here's my 2 cents -- the whole load (with backhoe) is unlikely to be more than twice your tractor weight (of 1433lbs according to TractorData.) I'm thinking you can use a typical "landscaping trailer" class that uses a 3500lb single axle without the backhoe. With the backhoe I'd lean toward a dual axle with 2000 or 2500lb axles. In any case, cautiously load the thing and see 1) are the springs over stressed causing them to bottom out or close to it or are the tires close to scraping the fenders. Then 2) Are the tires up to the task in ratings and not appearing "too flat" with rated air pressure. In other words, crude cut and try is very instructive. Of course it matters whether you intend to haul it 8 miles down the road or 800 miles to some new location. If something does not look right or bothers you, go up to a larger trailer ... which is silly sounding to say but very true. What seems to tell the tale on paper may not stand the test of cut and try.

By the way, I found that a 6 -1/2 ft width makes a huge difference if your MMM is a 60" deck. A narrower 6' quoted trailer width amounts to a force fit and piece of trouble. Given the backhoe, it seems to me like a 14 x6.5 with two axles is about right. And the old guy says... "or larger."

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #6  
We have a term for this...analysis paralysis.

Why buy a trailer that barely has enough capacity to haul the tractor. Take the heaviest rating you can find and multiply that by 2. Go find a trailer in that capacity.

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ?
There are several reasons for calculating weight of the tractor in my thinking. First off, I'll probably design one and have someone I know build it. Why? Because so far - I haven't been able to find a trailer I like. I find in looking at many steel trailers - that they are unnecessarily heavy at the tongue. I do alot of activities by myself (or at least I like the independence of doing things even when no one else is around). And I'm not a little guy. If you walk around a lot that holds many different sized open trailers - especially single axle steel trailer units - just lift on the front tongue area. Most 14 trailers and many 12 foot trailers you'll have great difficulty lifting that tongue. Why? Because today (versus 25 years ago) - steel trailers are put together with too heavy of steel instead of stronger construction methods . . . . its cheaper to do. A truck or suv isn't supposed to be "carrying" half the load - its supposed to be "pulling" all the load.

A number of years ago - I designed a steel trailer 10' x 66" that can haul 12 foot sheetrock fully supported. Its a tilt trailer with 3500" axle, 2 x flooring and strong enough to carry that payload without deflection. Yet its light enough that I can move it around manually on a street, driveway or garage - including modest inclines and curb cuts - without breathing hard, much less straining. But its not big enough for my GC - though I've hauled part of it on it (just 5 miles each way).

Why have someone else build it when I can weld fine myself ? Easy, if I can't buy one, I know someone who welds trailers like a high end robotic weld station would (a part part time sideline - he's built over 1200). His welding and component choices are like artwork - and his prices are reasonable. But I wish I could just find one decent already produced unit :)

But weight is just one issue for building or buying. Its where is the weight located to correctly balance the load. If I haul my tractor to my favorite dealer - its 110 miles each way - or locally to an area I could use it frequently its 5 to 10 miles each way.

Now I know my share of guys who say "just buy something and the heck with it". "Either spend a pile of money or buy cheaper". Well then they don't have space for it because they bought too big - or they gotta have some help because they can't re-position it without other guys there or running equipment to get it in place. Or it doesn't really "fit very well" in their needs - but they don't want to admit it. Same kinda guys that weld together a pile of blow holed metal welds and say "good enough" LOL

Sorry but I didn't invest in a Massey GC because I do things just "good enough to just get by" - or I have to give up a vacation to Las Vegas or Phoenix because I spend to much on a trailer. TBN is a place with many inventors and quality do-it-yourselfers - along with a normal allotment of "by guess and by hope" efforts LOL.

Now JWR (not picking on him but he offered a good example) - stated:

"the whole load (with backhoe) is unlikely to be more than twice your tractor weight (of 1433lbs according to TractorData.)"

Well - here's the estimated result

GC1715 bare tractor with wheels and tires is 1419
+ bucket is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 170
+ fel (no bucket/joystick/valve) is . . . . . 393
+ mmm (mf 2315) is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 235
+ loading of rears (but not rears) is ??? . . . . 150
+ my 3pt trailer mover/weight unit is . . . . . 285
+ quick attach is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75
+ 3pt quick hitch is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90
+ grill guard is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = = = 2,852 lbs (remember that isn't with a cb65)

And if i had a GC1720 it would be . . . . . . . 3,235 lbs (with a cb65)
(not including my trailering/weight unit)

Either way - it likely more than a single axle GVWR 3500# axle could safely handle

I'm open to suggestions - probably about a 6 foot by 14 foot sizing (could be 13 foot long or up to 78 inches wide)

Last edited:
   / What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #8  
I have an 18' car trailer with 2 3500lb axles to haul my tractor around when I get it, so my advice is to go big.

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #9  
I think you're numbers are good.

I estimated this way and round up for safety. The factory weight from the Massey website for the GC1710/20 is 2670 vs 1433 for the GC1705/15. So the loader with bucket and backhoe with bucket is ~1200 lbs. I'd assume 60/40 split backhoe/loader, so that puts a 1715 with loader only at ~1950 lb..call it 2K lbs. Add 250 for your mower. I'd assume 100 lbs for each loaded tire. Then your accessories, which you seem to know pretty well. All comes out approximately the same weight. Round to 3K lbs....

You could put it on a single 3.5K axle for a short trip, but going any distance, you need at least a 5K single axle, or better yet, 2x3.5K axles...which is just about the most common double axle trailer configuration out there....

Just remember, some tongue weight is your friend...10-15%....not enough, and your trailer will fish-tail all over...very dangerous situation!

/ What do GC1700 items each weigh for trailer issues ? #10  
I have an 18' car trailer with 2 3500lb axles to haul my tractor around when I get it, so my advice is to go big.

Why did you get such a puny trailer?

I would think a 70,000# lowboy and a Volvo FH16 750 would be more in line. That way you would never be concerned with anything extra you wanted to take along with your "tractor".