What do you do with stump once removed?

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
Make "cookie" tabletops. I sawed these on my sawmill from a pine stump. Fine someone with a mill and make great gifts or sell them.

IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
Makes good fencing in the back forty

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Try to store it upside down near the brush pile so rain chips away at the dirt rootball. It will usually burn within 3 or 4 bonfires if the rootball eventually gets clean enough.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
One of ours is sitting in the creek overflow area and just rotting. Too large and uneven to do much with it. Have piled other tree parts in various gullies we have, but this one stump is just too big and uneven to do much other than push it around with the FEL.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
You guys beat me to it. Clean it up - set it out on the county road with a For Sale sign. Somebody is bound to come along and steal it.
Hmm. Get a box big enough for it and put it in it and place on porch. Put appropriate mailing labels, etc. on it. Let porch theves get it.

arto98607

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
So I took out a 12 inch stump the other day and with its roots, that's over two feet in diameter. Moved it to the fire pit but it's taking longer than expected to burn (it's been dead and cut down a few years ago). What do you do with your removed stumps?

Here is what I do with smaller stumps:

.jpg

Mrsig

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT225 4x4
I drill a few 1" holes in them before I put them in my burn pit. They burn up a lot faster that way.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Long ago I burned one of my huge P. pine stumps - in place. It burned for days. Eventually I had a "smoker" about 30 feet away from this stump. The fire had burned down one of the larger roots.

I quit burning stumps. Besides, all my stumps are way out on the property where nobody can see them. And - I have neither the time or patience to dig out a stump on a 30" to 38" pine tree.

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Just push it into the woods and forget about it. Excellent berm foundation material, though.
That's what I generally do, along with fallen branches and other tree trimmings. It'll rot down eventually.
Take it out on the ice. ;)

That's what a lot of conservation clubs do with old Christmas trees.
Wouldn't it be easier to chip old Christmas trees? That's what they do around here.