What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil?

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
There is a little known law in my state that says if a business sells motor or hydraulic oil, they must also accept used oil for recycling. The law is never enforced.

My tractors generate around 15 gallons of motor & hydraulic oil per year. When I bring the used stuff to the place where I bought the new oil and ask them to take it, they look at me like I had two heads. No one will accept it. Sure, I use some for lubing machinery but there is always a whole lot left over.

Years ago, when I bought my first tractor, the dealer heated his building with waste oil. He had a tank beside the building where customers could leave their used oil. He eventually had to take it out because people were dumping all sorts of crap in it. Used anti freeze was the biggest problem since it caused damage to his burner.

When I worked for the local telephone company, I made friends with the truck mechanic. He let me dump my oil in his recycle tank which was collected monthly by a recycling company.

Now that I'm retired and have several tractors, the problem is worse than ever. I'm storing my used oil in an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank but it's almost full.

Considering the cost of new oil these days, there must be a market for the used stuff. I don't generate enough to warrant spending big bucks on a waste oil heater. I'm curious what others here do with their used tractor oil??

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #2  
Minnesota has the same law requiring businesses accepted the oil. I found a larger gas station complex that caters to truckers and has a maintenance facility on site. They have a large dumping station (pit) for oil open to the public. I stop by when I have 15 gallons of used oil and dump there. You can even leave used filters there, with a $1 per filter charge, honor system, with a steel box there to drop your $1 bills.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #3  
Dump grounds accept it here also.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #4  
All the auto parts store's take it here. O'reilly, Autozone, Napa, I've taken it to the first 2 with no issues. The local kwik Kar lube place used to for years and that was my closest and easiest place but they stopped last year, forget the reason they gave me.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #5  
There is a little known law in my state that says if a business sells motor or hydraulic oil, they must also accept used oil for recycling. The law is never enforced.

My tractors generate around 15 gallons of motor & hydraulic oil per year. When I bring the used stuff to the place where I bought the new oil and ask them to take it, they look at me like I had two heads. No one will accept it. Sure, I use some for lubing machinery but there is always a whole lot left over.

Years ago, when I bought my first tractor, the dealer heated his building with waste oil. He had a tank beside the building where customers could leave their used oil. He eventually had to take it out because people were dumping all sorts of crap in it. Used anti freeze was the biggest problem since it caused damage to his burner.

When I worked for the local telephone company, I made friends with the truck mechanic. He let me dump my oil in his recycle tank which was collected monthly by a recycling company.

Now that I'm retired and have several tractors, the problem is worse than ever. I'm storing my used oil in an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank but it's almost full.

Considering the cost of new oil these days, there must be a market for the used stuff. I don't generate enough to warrant spending big bucks on a waste oil heater. I'm curious what others here do with their used tractor oil??
Tractor supply will take used oil around here. You just put your name on a form and dump into a large tank.. I usually use the local Valvoline quick lube. Bring the used oil along when I get the oil changed in my business truck. (which is oaid for by the company I work for). Also use a little to start fires on brush piles
DTM

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #6  
I take mine to the county drop off for recycling.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #7  
Hey!! I just noticed, we've got out tractors listed below our names, again. Good work Muhammad!!!

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #8  
I'm surprised there is any difficulty in finding a place to take used oil. Many options here. I mix mine with wood shavings and burn it in the wood stove in the shop. Of course, I only have 5 to 10 gallons a year to get rid of.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #9  
Have a friend who helps me fix equipment and his shop is heated with used motor oil. He takes the oil and stays warm while fixing equipment.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #10  
Walmart, they take a maximum of 4 gallons at a time though. Usually stick four gallons in the wife's van once twice a month and have her drop it off. They also take batteries.

I also wipe down my hand tools (shovels, rakes, axes), vice, anything else. Keep a gallon jug by the door of the garage and put it on a shop rag as needed. Go through maybe a gallon or two a year that way.