What happened to my new trailer tire?

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Was parked at a jobsite today and someone asked if I new I had a flat on my trailer.

No, I hadn't noticed anything driving that morning. Assumed I ran over something and got my plugs and compressor. As I blew it up I had several leaks on the tread and the tire was deformed. The tread was rounded instead of flat. I assume something broke and it swelled and popped? Crazy. Probably have 1000 miles on it.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
ee+BJT+6Rqi2Ffg4L7XH+A.jpg

That tread should be flat, but its rounded like a bicycle tire. several small holes. Tire is a 235 80 16, Trailfinder HT.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
You broke a belt, or else the tire was defective. Did you hit a pothole or speed bump a little harder than you meant to?
Be careful when taking it off, if it's steel belted there may be wires sticking out and it will be just like running your hand down a frayed piece of cable. If you leave it on the tire will get even more misshapen but it isn't safe so hopefully you changed it.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Yea, it is off. I had a spare. With all the holes it wont hold air. I had to air it up as much as possible to get the pics to send to my salesman. In the pic it had about 20psi.

I can nott remember anything that I hit or ran over. It was the back tire so the front would have hit it too.

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
The same tread tires came on my trailer. I had one split and contacted them. A few pictures and an email questionnaire later, a new tire arrived at my doorstep. Easy, peasy and didn’t cost me anything but time.

mrmikey

Veteran Member
Is that a trailer only tire, ST, Special Trailer?.............MIke

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
The same tread tires came on my trailer. I had one split and contacted them. A few pictures and an email questionnaire later, a new tire arrived at my doorstep. Easy, peasy and didn’t cost me anything but time.

Was this through your dealer? Or the tire manufacturer?

Redlands Okie

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
I also thing there are some structural issues in that tire now. Leaks could be from before or some as a result of the structural issue. Or both.

mrmikey

Veteran Member
I've had a couple of those tires go south on me, none were overloaded, none were out of date. I'd never put another ST tire on a trailer ever, I'd go with a used LT tire half worn out first. Just my two cents worth.........Mike

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
Had the same issue happen to half a dozen (that's correct, 4 tires plus two spares) LR E 225/75R15 Tow Max trailer tires from Power King. Made in China, every one of them had failed belts. I won't buy any Power King tires.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
These aren稚 bad looking tires, but I definitely don稚 need to worry about this crap. Thinking about putting firestone transforse on, but not sure if it a good trailer tire. Any suggestion on tires?

Last edited:

zing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case IH 1390
I've had a couple of those tires go south on me, none were overloaded, none were out of date. I'd never put another ST tire on a trailer ever, I'd go with a used LT tire half worn out first. Just my two cents worth.........Mike

I also moved all of my tires to LT. Got tired of repairing blowouts from travelling at highway speeds. Much better now.

Shaneard

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 Ford 4630, 1972 IH 140, 1970 IH 140, 1975 IH Cub, 1949 John Deere A
Where was the tire made? I had some on my trailer made in China and will NEVER buy a trailer tire made there again. It was a rough ride going 60MPH hauling an 8,000 lb tractor. I also had one do what happened to yours while it was sitting empty.

When I ordered the trailer I have now I paid extra for made in USA tires. Not saying it doesn't happen to USA tires too, but the China ones aren't as good IMO.

Gator6x4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3830
Seen that if the tire is on the right side of the trailer. The side that drops off the pavement onto the rough shoulder. I was told one time it is the rough edges of the pavement that damages the tire when it make the transition from the shoulder back to the pavement.

Shaneard

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 Ford 4630, 1972 IH 140, 1970 IH 140, 1975 IH Cub, 1949 John Deere A
Seen that if the tire is on the right side of the trailer. The side that drops off the pavement onto the rough shoulder. I was told one time it is the rough edges of the pavement that damages the tire when it make the transition from the shoulder back to the pavement.

Mine was on the drivers side when it busted, unloaded and unhooked. I didn't know it until I hooked it up and went after something and it was bouncing awful.

Dftodd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l1501, Z121s
Could just be a bad tire. I tend to order tires by the pallet for the rental company I work for. Pallet will have 10 to 12 tires with rims. We had to get onto our supplier because they weren't rotating there stock.

A couple of the "New" tires they sent us were over 8 years old. We noticed it when we installed the tire on a piece of equipment, and a couple days later, it was flat :confused: Air it up, and it was flat by morning again. At that point, I pulled the unit over to the wash Bay, inflated the tire again, and then soaped it down. Found it bubbling through the tread. That's when we started checking the date codes and raised some he## with them about rotating their stock.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Manufacturer sent me the warranty thing to fill out and they will FedEx me a replacement. Thats fine but not sure if ill keep running them. Called about Lt tires but the weight rating was lower. Transforce load e was like 3000lb. Need 3500. Might go back with Hercules load g.

Anyways, I think I hit a pothole or something a ways back. It was recent, but it seems if I hit anything the front tire would have been the one effected.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
What is with this website and apostrophes? I have to go back to my posts and take them out because it causes crazy charecters.
I値l
Weæ±*e
Thatç—´

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
What is with this website and apostrophes? I have to go back to my posts and take them out because it causes crazy charecters.
I値l
Weæ±*e
Thatç—´

You are probably posting from a phone, they tend to do that. So far we've been able to figure out what you're trying to say though, we've done it before. ;)

Redlands Okie

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
80 mph trailor tires are available but you have to be careful and double check their ratings.

I usually install light truck tires due to the higher speed rating and hot summer highway issues even though they have a lower weight capacity. I do have one trailor I paid the extra for a higher speed rating trailor tire.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
After reading many thread about trailer tires, I've come to the conclusion it's not the ST tires that are bad. It comes down to quality, or lack of it. Low quality tires are bad. Many trailers come with the cheapest tires possible since few people pay attention to them when buying a trailer. They do list their ratings and ply equivalents, but some have poor quality control and a higher than average failure rate. Then after a failure we look at the tires, and say "ST tires, no wonder!". In reality there are very good quality ST tires out there if you shop quality and not price alone.

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Changed the China JUNK tires out on both of my trailers to goodyear endurance on my 12 ft aluma trailer & Maxxis on my 20ft PJ trailer.One to many blowouts on the China junk tires for me.

JLBuilder

Tractor
new holland TC55DA
Was parked at a jobsite today and someone asked if I new I had a flat on my trailer.

No, I hadn't noticed anything driving that morning. Assumed I ran over something and got my plugs and compressor. As I blew it up I had several leaks on the tread and the tire was deformed. The tread was rounded instead of flat. I assume something broke and it swelled and popped? Crazy. Probably have 1000 miles on it.
I read your post re Trailfinder HT tires. I have a diamond C dump trailer that I have about 200 miles on and all the tires are going bad! One blew yesterday with no load in the trailer average speed was 35 mph. Upon closer inspection it looks like they are all deformed and delaminating. Chinese junk. I have called Diamond C and have yet to hear what they will do if anything?
Did all your tires go bad? by the looks of it I will need 5 new tires (that includes the spare). I paid more money for the Diamond C brand than others because I felt the trailer design was better. Too bad someone saved a few dollars on cheap tires at diamond C.

John

JLBuilder

Tractor
new holland TC55DA
I contacted the tire manufacturer. Mine was also on a Diamond C
I read your post re Trailfinder HT tires. I have a diamond C dump trailer that I have about 200 miles on and all the tires are going bad! One blew yesterday with no load in the trailer average speed was 35 mph. Upon closer inspection it looks like they are all deformed and delaminating. Chinese junk. I have called Diamond C and have yet to hear what they will do if anything?
Did all your tires go bad? by the looks of it I will need 5 new tires (that includes the spare). I paid more money for the Diamond C brand than others because I felt the trailer design was better. Too bad someone saved a few dollars on cheap tires at diamond C.

John

JLBuilder

Tractor
new holland TC55DA

John

nisaacs

Gold Member
Tractor
970 John Deere, 4320 John Deere, 995 Case/IH
What brand tire are they? I just picked up a new Diamond C flatbed and it has Cooper tires. The dealer said Diamond C was having problems with their tires so they switched brands. Mine are 215/75x17.5.

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1

John

After my first tire separated, right after I got it, the rest lasted two years. Of course, when the first one (rear on driver side) went, I had 4.5T in the bed and was 60 miles from home (35 miles from a town with an open gas station). I had to change the tire on a gravel road. It sucked.

I got two used tires, from a friend (free), since the other rear tire had gone egg shaped. After getting the used tires in the rear, I got less than 100 miles on it, before the other two went egg on me. With that, I went and bought four Hercules H-901’s. This is what I should have done, sooner. Much better ride and very tough. I spent around $665, for the four 14-ply, mounted. They have held up very well, but I have a bunch of patches, in both back tires. I did several demo jobs, last year. Multiple runs to the C&D section of the dump, per day.

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Been my experience that Chinese tires are all basically junk. Been running Carlisle, same ones that Uhaul runs.

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3
No one here has mentioned turning with a load. I was running 10 ply rating tires on my trailers and the belts would separate which would cause the tire to blow a few miles later.

This would happen when I would make a sharp turn with a load. After blowing 6 or 8 tires, I finally switched to 14 ply rating tires and have not had any problems since. I also try not to make sharp turns with a load, especially on paved areas.

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Symmetric rounded tire shoulders usually mean running on low air pressure and overheating. That boils out the sealants and you get what you got.

But, I'd replace the other one while you are at it. As far as easy peasy, having a flat out on the highway can be expensive & dangerous. The real cause is the flood of poorly designed and manufactured tires imported to the USA. Dimensionaly copied, but the parts, components, and mounting procedures are anybody's guess.

See if your tires can take 100 psi. If not, they are going to let you down. Major US brand design intent burst pressure is well over this amount for mounting reasons.

Considering what I have on-board my trucks, cars, and trailers, I prefer the most expensive tires I can buy because their cost/value is nothing compared to what they are holding up. I worked in the automotive industry for 40 years, The Far East tire industries have little concern for their product destinations. Round & black is their only requirements. Treadlife, durability, conicity, plysteer, impact damage, wet traction, noise, dry traction, cornering stiffness and balance are not part of their specifications.

Just FYI: There has been for several years (maybe 10 or more now) a process in place by many companies (started by John Deere) to alter the dimensional markings on all their CAD drawings. This is because of the huge industrial espionage attacks on US manufacturers. When an authorized user access the build manifest, they get the right stuff. Hackers get the wrong stuff. Then they try to build the clones. These fail, and the tooling and/or chemistry is patched up as best they can. Then their crap parts are sent here to dumbfounded buyers.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
This tire looked just fine when starting out that morning but by the time the trailer was parked you can see it was not so fine. Funny thing is it never lost a bit of air until it was parked for the night and found it flat the next day. It was a Goodyear tire and it was NOT overloaded, just that its time was up I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.resized.JPG
    IMG_0001.resized.JPG
    707.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0006.resized.JPG
    IMG_0006.resized.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 51