What happened to small trucks?

/ What happened to small trucks? #31  
And, how about a diesel small truck (actually a car with an open, extendable bed), the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-alabama-plant/

Hyundai-Santa-Cruz-Crossover-concept-1031-626x382.jpg

I would really like this - claimed high 30's MPG.

/ What happened to small trucks? #32  
You can still buy a Tacoma, a Canyon, a Colorado or a Frontier.

Had a '97 Ranger which was alright until it hit 90K, when it needed the front end rebuilt, $700, in spite of getting regular lubes. Then at 100K it needed a transmission rebuild, $2,600 and lastly at about 110K both heads had cracked, $1,200 at which point I dumped it & got a Tacoma.

So far at 100K, no problems except for the outside temp display which would have been $800 at the dealer but on a Tacoma forum there was a repair guy listed who fixed them for about $50. That's the only problem with the Tacoma. Larger, more powerful than the Ranger, same or better gas mileage. comfortable to ride in. I'd like to keep it for another 100K, but we might be buying a 5th wheel, so I'll need a bigger truck.

/ What happened to small trucks? #33  
For some they make sense but not for me.I guy I know just purchased a 4WD ,Crew loaded Colorado.Nice truck but it stickered for $38,000 and doesn't get any better mileage than my 2014 Silverado , half ton 4WD,extended cab with a 5.3 V8.

/ What happened to small trucks? #34  
And, how about a diesel small truck (actually a car with an open, extendable bed), the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-alabama-plant/

View attachment 430841

I would really like this - claimed high 30's MPG.

+1!! A late-model mini-El Camino! I did hear a rumor about an El Camino concept vehicle coming back.

I sure still love my '87 Bronco II. Will go anywhere. Pretty poor mileage (17-20) from a 2.9L V6, but what would be expected since it has about 350,000 original miles and maybe has only 100psi compression anymore! Given its age, and questionable reliability, we looked for a replacement even remotely close in design. Subaru Forester was the only thing we found currently available.

- Jay

/ What happened to small trucks? #35  

Attachments

• 2013-NV200-Sliding-Side-Door-Open.jpg
    2013-NV200-Sliding-Side-Door-Open.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / What happened to small trucks? #36  
While driving today take note of the number of standard pick-ups you see. If you hit double digits I'll be surprised. The pick up today has to be huge!

The market for a sub compact or even standard cab pick up is practically nil. They are available, but since you don't see them on the road it kind of supports the manufacturers decision to not produce them.

Saw 26.

/ What happened to small trucks? #37  
I priced a new '97 S10 back then and what there was on the dealers lot was about the same price as a full sized one. The mileage was about the same, but it road worse and couldn't haul as much. So i bought a full sized one.

I think that about sums it up in a nutshell.. Not enough value proposition for a lot of people to choose the smaller truck. I have several hundred thousand miles in S10 and Ranger trucks that were service vehicles for the company I used to work for. They do not ride as well, the gas mileage is only marginally better than full size, they have cramped cabs... they cost almost as much.. Just not enough savings to make me want to buy one. So I didn't. Some people liked them, but not enough people chose them over full sized I guess.

/ What happened to small trucks? #38  
... they cost almost as much..
Well, they did then. With the price of new pickups I bet the differential would be much more significant these days. Full size pickups used to be reasonable.

/ What happened to small trucks? #39  
They were bouncy, they hopped all over the road, they didn't have plush seats and all the amenities that your typical biased car magazine writers thought they should have so they gave them low marks, completely missing the purpose of such vehicles. Everyone should drive a vehicle that is sexy, exciting, goes fast and has Bluetooth or it isn't worth owning. Didn't you know that?
It all depends upon the truck. Just as all tepees aren't created equal. My 1979 Ford Courier rides more like a care compared to the 1979 Subaru wagon I had. It was very unpleasant to drive. The courier is a smooth as can be for a 1 ton 7' bed pickup, even when empty. The longer I own it, the more valuable it is. I have had it since 1981. It has close to 300,000 miles on it. Most of those were accumulated in my landscape business from 1981 - 2000.