What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,631  
if you overfill too much you can create a foaming issue. that ain't good.
1/2 qt....yeah not an issue
last time I serviced MY unit (no garage, level surface hard to find so I actually use levels 2ft and 4ft on tractor normally) I never noticed fill glass had been covered and I ended up adding extra gallon.
disconnect one loader line, connect hose from coupling to bucket. pull loader lever. it comes out pretty fast LOL
You are not the first one to do that. We have had countless people over fill their GC's, no one has had an issue.

I am not advocating being careless, under, or over filling. But, I can assure you, a quart or two either way isn't a big problem.

It's not a critical level. If it was, they would have put a dip stick on it.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,632  
You are not the first one to do that. We have had countless people over fill their GC's, no one has had an issue.

I am not advocating being careless, under, or over filling. But, I can assure you, a quart or two either way isn't a big problem.

It's not a critical level. If it was, they would have put a dip stick on it.
yup, quart not an issue.
however when its overfilled by a gallon....well the rubicon was crossed and 2 years ago I stupidly paddled across it.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,633  
You can't "overfill" that thing, only underfill.

Let's say you fill it to the top of that fill tube. When you're running the tractor, all that could happen is that the fluid will pop off the plug and spill out some, no biggie.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,634  
You can't "overfill" that thing, only underfill.

Let's say you fill it to the top of that fill tube. When you're running the tractor, all that could happen is that the fluid will pop off the plug and spill out some, no biggie.
gc2400 gallon overfull fluid foaming and I could not move in high range.
dropped it back to 1/2 gallon over and could move when hot.
heated it it all up drove to neighbor with garage with level pad, drained another .75 qts out.
tractor fine for well over 200 hrs.
yeah I am a bit behind on hydro on my OWN GC tractor while the other GC/MF tractors around me are good.
BUT if you say you cannot overfill a GC I will call you out.
first GC I dealt with was a 2300 in 2004.
in november 2004 the GC2300 was a new item to dealers.
dealer over filled. by 1.3 gallons
one friend bought one and was pissed.
new release to dealers so I dealt with massey themselves.
customer (my friend) pissed off.
I drained a gallon out (so still .3 overfull) and tractor worked fine for may years. over many owners. all that knew me.in 2010 this tractor had 845 hrs on it.
I bought a GC series in Nov 2020 but I've been dealing with GC series since 2004.

anywhoo......I've been involved with GC series since April 2004. yup that date sounds odd. cause the actual release was many months later then the test release.

so....long story short....YES YOU CAN OVERFILL A HYDRO TRANSMISSION SETUP.
ANYONE that tells you otherwise is mistaken.

EDIT: in 1984 manual (bolens) specs wrong and overfilled a 14hp Bolens by 1.1 gallons.
when cold everything worked.
when hot you were screwed, mower deck would not lift, tiller would not lift, snow blower would not lift, mower deck would not work at all.
all these things were NON pto and hydro driven, and when hot would not work.
spent many hours on phone with bolens, identified the misprint in service manual, corrected problem and my grandfather tractor started working,
1984....dam I feel old.
was....eerie...dealing with bolens engineers while I was only 16 at that time. whatever.

Had similar calls that year with Case (before fully swallowed by Ingersoll) on their garden tractors.
damn I feel old.

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,635  
I never ever overfilled mine so I can't really speak from experience. From the description of how the system works, it doesn't seem like you could overfill it. But I'll defer to your experience.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,636  
EDIT: in 1984 manual (bolens) specs wrong and overfilled a 14hp Bolens by 1.1 gallons.

How did you overfill a 2 gallon system by 1.1 gallons??

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,637  
Tractor Supply Stores had 15% off for Veterans Day. My son bought me the 6" Countyline auger for my post hole digger to complete my set. I now have the 6", 9" and the 12" augers. Now I just have to buy the fence posts and start digging holes. We are putting in a 250 foot long split rail fence as a decorative border between me and my neighbor's property line. Mainly to remind our dogs where the invisible fence line is.
20221113_091725.jpg

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,638  
How did you overfill a 2 gallon system by 1.1 gallons??
it wasn't hard.
maybe thats the biggest point.
it comes down to this. if it can be screwed up....I'm your guy.
bolens manual said drain and add 1 to 1.2 gallons.
I followed manual.
manual changed shortly after.

real issue was the refill levels were driven off the TOTAL levels.

case/ingersoll soon followed.....

edit: keep in mind this was 1984 time frame and bolens/case dealer were the same up here then.
but manuals were changed for hydro service on both of them then.

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,639  
I hooked up the Tractor Supply CountyLine Post Hole Digger today to see if the 4 FT. long augers are too long for a GC1723 3 point hitch. The 4 FT. long augers barely clear the ground with the 3 point in the highest position. I moved the lift pin on the main beam of the post hole digger to the last hole which allows for the highest lift position. Driving forward the auger barely clears the ground or drags a little. In reverse you have to use the attached handle to angle the auger up off the ground or it drags in the dirt. So it does work, but my honest suggestion is to perhaps use 3 ft. long augers. I did try digging one hole with the 6 " auger, but didn't bury it all the way for fear of getting it stuck in the ground. I need to practice a little more with it first. I ran the PTO at idle speed or slightly above idle speed. I uploaded a short video also.
20221115_100821.jpg
20221115_100842.jpg

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,640  
PJ, I'm no expert in using these things, but watching your vid, I was thinking maybe driving backwards a little bit as the auger is going down into the hole straightens it out somewhat.