What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,681  
So after yet another "slide backwards down the driveway and into the ditch" episode after that slick snow from our last storm... chains are on the rear wheels for the duration. (Sheesh! You'd think I would have learned by now!)

DSC00584.JPG

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,682  
So after yet another "slide backwards down the driveway and into the ditch" episode after that slick snow from our last storm... chains are on the rear wheels for the duration. (Sheesh! You'd think I would have learned by now!)
Good chains, look like the same ones I have. I see you've switched the hardware for quick links. I'm thinking of doing that myself.

I get a lot of ice here, actually have to go out today and try to scrape off some of the pack from that same wet snowfall last week before it starts raining this weekend or I'll end up with 2 or 3 inches of ice.

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,683  

View attachment 775602
Most people never learn....to move to where the flat land is. :p

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,684  
No chains needed for me, but either way the plow is about to get a workout, as am I. Chicago area is about to get his with snow, negative temps, and 50 mph winds. Ugh, suckville!

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,685  
If I needed chains, I would stay in house by the fire.....Snow in my area only lasts 2-3 days....

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,686  
Bought a Craftsman cabinet for my little tractor shed to hold all my tools and other stuff. I had things all over the floor and it got a little out of control. Now it's getting organized.
20221208_154207.jpg
20221208_154259.jpg

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY
#1,687  
frozen throttle cable again and dealer out of stock until next week.
cannot raise off idle.
got old cable that would raise but gave issues idling down so gonna toss that cable in for now
My tachometer just started squealing yesterday while plowing, happening for the first time as I can remember.

Has anyone tried to grease the upper gear assembly with success?

If so what grease did you use.

I found an You Tube Video (Twin Brook Acres) that claims this solves the problem.

Here's the video link:

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,688  
My tachometer just started squealing yesterday while plowing, happening for the first time as I can remember.

Has anyone tried to grease the upper gear assembly with success?

If so what grease did you use.

I found an You Tube Video (Twin Brook Acres) that claims this solves the problem.

Here's the video link:

KC
I had no success with any lube on the tach unit itself. limited success blocking airflow (IE blocking grill opening up near steering wheel) to it. at some point you just say F it and give up.
tractor works and I can guess rpm by sound within 200rpm. good enough
so...this year (actually this MONTH) same issue on a GC1725M and a GC1723. one (1725) has 145hrs other (1723) has 15 hours.
screw it.

9 deg this morning. my 12yr old gc2400 started and ran w/o squealing. prob cause blockage put in the air intake on hood.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY
#1,689  
I had no success with any lube on the tach unit itself. limited success blocking airflow (IE blocking grill opening up near steering wheel) to it. at some point you just say F it and give up.
tractor works and I can guess rpm by sound within 200rpm. good enough
so...this year (actually this MONTH) same issue on a GC1725M and a GC1723. one (1725) has 145hrs other (1723) has 15 hours.
screw it.

9 deg this morning. my 12yr old gc2400 started and ran w/o squealing. prob cause blockage put in the air intake on hood.

Thanks for providing this valuable information.

It was about -28F yesterday when this "squealing" started.

My next step, an easy one seems to be trying my heat gun to warm up the gear assembly before starting the tractor.

I really don't see myself changing out the existing cable with a new cable and a future problem.

Also I was thinking of shielding the gear assembly with some type of insulation properties, may or may not help?

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #1,690  
Thanks for providing this valuable information.

It was about -28F yesterday when this "squealing" started.

My next step, an easy one seems to be trying my heat gun to warm up the gear assembly before starting the tractor.

I really don't see myself changing out the existing cable with a new cable and a future problem.

Also I was thinking of shielding the gear assembly with some type of insulation properties, may or may not help?

KC
to best of my knowledge (huge grain of salt) its not the cable. its the interference gap between the cable input and the actual mechanical display. basically 2 discs separated by a hair.
that little air gap is what causes the noise and while at full rpm says you are running at 500 rpm.