What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid?

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
OK

You all probably remember me having a Dmax in 05 and had overheating issues, glow plug problems, and injectors going out. All my stuff got fixed under warranty along with the bed repainted and the wiring issues. I sold it after 9 months of proud ownership.

Anyway my neighbor has a 07 classic 3500 SRW 4x4 that has been trouble also. I warned him about buying one but he did not listen. His has had to have some valve on the engine replace twice after going into limp mode. He has also had wiring problems, a passengers seat that has been worked on 2 times and is still not right, a bad U joint, a leaking transfer case, and a leaking rear axle seal. All this with only 45,000 miles. All this has been fixed under warranty with the exception of the seat that is still not right.

Anyway last month it would not warm up. He took it in and it was a bad thermostat. They told him it was not under warranty and got stuck with a big repair bill for a simple issue. Not a month later it was lacking power, blowing smoke, and idling rough. He took it in again with a service engine light on and they said it has 2 bad injectors. They are not covered under warranty and wanted $1400 and change to fix it. He took it home and parked it. Looking on the net you can get 60 HP gain aftermarket injectors, all 8, for $1600. He plans on fixing it and selling it in the spring for the New Ford. Again this truck only has 45,xxx miles on it.

So just what is covered?

Chris

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid?
I guess I should restate my question. After the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty is up what is covered on the Dmax warranty? His story he got from 2 local dealers was it was basically internal parts and the thermostat and injectors are not considered internals. They considered them wear items but not even 50,000 miles seems premature to me.

So it looks like the engine would have to have a major problem to fall into the warranty. It seems like they warranty seems good on paper but that is all its worth. Any engine, even the worst, with routine maintenance should make it well over 100,000 miles.

Maybe this is the same story with Ford and Dodge diesel powered trucks? I do not know? If that's the case its about worthless.

Chris

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #3  
The DuraMax engines use a "common rail" type diesel fuel system. Essentially exactly like a multi-port EFI system on a gasser, only operating at 500 times more pressure!

If ANYTHING gets past the fuel filter and into the HP fuel pump, it WILL make it to the injector and damage it. Water/rust are BIGGIES that dealers see a lot of but common dust will do it to. This stuff generally gets into the system during service, even if you are careful it can happen. There is no such thing as "clean enough" with a common rail diesel fuel system.

The smoking and rough running is a complaint consistant with fuel injectors that are not closing fully. I won't speak about the cost other than to say it seems excessive.

Ford warrants their diesels for 100,000 miles or 5 years, maybe that's why they have a 50% market share in the diesel pickup market.

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #4  
I have an 04 and it has been a great truck. I did have injector issues at at a 100k miles Dealer replaced on my truck at no charge.
That is the only problem I have had.

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

This link is to a Duramax site and may address your question better. Who knows may find a buyer!

Good luck.

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #5  
OK

You all probably remember me having a Dmax in 05 and had overheating issues, glow plug problems, and injectors going out. All my stuff got fixed under warranty along with the bed repainted and the wiring issues. I sold it after 9 months of proud ownership.

Anyway my neighbor has a 07 classic 3500 SRW 4x4 that has been trouble also. I warned him about buying one but he did not listen. His has had to have some valve on the engine replace twice after going into limp mode. He has also had wiring problems, a passengers seat that has been worked on 2 times and is still not right, a bad U joint, a leaking transfer case, and a leaking rear axle seal. All this with only 45,000 miles. All this has been fixed under warranty with the exception of the seat that is still not right.

Anyway last month it would not warm up. He took it in and it was a bad thermostat. They told him it was not under warranty and got stuck with a big repair bill for a simple issue. Not a month later it was lacking power, blowing smoke, and idling rough. He took it in again with a service engine light on and they said it has 2 bad injectors. They are not covered under warranty and wanted $1400 and change to fix it. He took it home and parked it. Looking on the net you can get 60 HP gain aftermarket injectors, all 8, for $1600. He plans on fixing it and selling it in the spring for the New Ford. Again this truck only has 45,xxx miles on it.

So just what is covered?

Chris
I hope he does not plan to buy a ford diesel?I read in the another thread you thought the 2011 duramax was a fine truck?coobie

I hope he does not plan to buy a ford diesel?coobie

If he is smart he will. I have had 3 that have been trouble free other than a CPS on my 7.3L Both 6.0s are still going strong with not one single issue.

When he bought his first diesel, this 07 Dmax, he wanted a Ford but it came down to $$$$. They were heavily discounting the Classic body style GM trucks. He got his 3500 LS 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW with leather, heated seats, Bose Stereo, ect for $36,000 out the door. He looked at Ford and Dodge but they were in the $45,000 range.

This has proven to be a nightmare for him. He does lawn care for a living and a broken down truck has not been good. He has borrowed my 04 F-250 PSD a few times and my F-150 once so he could keep his business going when he has had the truck in the shop.

He likes the Cummins, other than the rattlin noise, as I do but did not care for the Dodge part of the truck. Us being from Indiana and Cummins being based just 60 miles away in Columbus Indiana he like the idea of buying a Indiana product. He knew what type of issues I had with my Hemi 2500 and was scared off. Also Dodge dealer support is not very good around here. You have to go 50 miles to get a good dealer.

Chris

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #7  
If he is smart he will. I have had 3 that have been trouble free other than a CPS on my 7.3L Both 6.0s are still going strong with not one single issue.

When he bought his first diesel, this 07 Dmax, he wanted a Ford but it came down to $$$$. They were heavily discounting the Classic body style GM trucks. He got his 3500 LS 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW with leather, heated seats, Bose Stereo, ect for $36,000 out the door. He looked at Ford and Dodge but they were in the $45,000 range.

This has proven to be a nightmare for him. He does lawn care for a living and a broken down truck has not been good. He has borrowed my 04 F-250 PSD a few times and my F-150 once so he could keep his business going when he has had the truck in the shop.

He likes the Cummins, other than the rattlin noise, as I do but did not care for the Dodge part of the truck. Us being from Indiana and Cummins being based just 60 miles away in Columbus Indiana he like the idea of buying a Indiana product. He knew what type of issues I had with my Hemi 2500 and was scared off. Also Dodge dealer support is not very good around here. You have to go 50 miles to get a good dealer.

Chris
Chris,been a ford man most of my life,my 1999 ford f-150 4X4 had a lot of problems gasser,my last 2002 chevy 1500 gasser sucked also.I choose a 2004 dodge with the 5.9 cummins diesel so far so good.I think the ford 7.3 diesel was a fine engine not so sure about the 6.0 or 6.4 diesel engines.From what I have read ford is coming out with the own diesel engine(scorpian)I believe,hopefully it will be a winner.coobie

While many think I am a Ford man that is far from the truth. Ford trucks have proven to be the best for me but since 1986 I have owned Toyota's, GM's, Ford's, Dodge's, and Nissans. When it comes to HD trucks the Ford's have been hands down the best package. I currently own products from Ford, Nissan, and GM. I drive the GM the most and the Nissan second most.

Time will tell on the Nissan but had it 10 months and 23,000 miles and not one issue. Made many trips pulling 7-8K out of state and has averaged 11.7 mpg since new. Pulls like a dream and is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven in the mud or snow.

Anyway back on the topic. I was just hunting out info for him on warranty stuff. He is really having a hard time justifying putting money into a truck that is still under warranty. I do not blame him. My experience with GM products was it was tough to get things covered under warranty. They always wanted to pass blame. They are accusing him of using poor fuel but we live in a small town of 2000 or so of which there has to be well over 200 diesel trucks. Lots of Red Necks and plenty of trucks with stacks!:D:D:D The two stations are a Pilot Truck Stop and a Marathon. Oh yea, there is also Shell just down the road.

Plenty of fuel is purchased at the 2 local stations and for him to have a issue it would seem all of us would. If it is poor fuel then that says nothing for the trucks filtering system.

Chris

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #9  
I would think that injectors are part of the emissions equipment. Some states (Fed EPA?) require coverage of smog equipment to 100,000 miles (Kalifornia includes the timing belt as a part of the emissions systems; for Miata's in Kalifornia the timing belt maintenance interval is 105,000 miles). I believe that has been a large influence on warranties (plus the enticement of a $6000 engine plus transmission package). Mine isn't quite at a 100,000 yet, so not hoping to find out in any case.

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #10  
i'll go with what samandothers said. if your friend posts at the diesel place i would bet he would get some satisfaction. a friend had a dealer issue with an 8.1 and posted there and got a pm the next morning, problem solved.