What is the coldest you have ever been ?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #31  
My wife and I had walked into our cabin near Wawa Ontario in February 2004 on the snowmachine trails and spent the weekend and then walked back out to our Dodge Dakota parked on a hydro access road. But when we did the one mile walk back to truck Sunday morning it was minus 45 degrees without windchill. Truck would not start, seemed like vapour lock but killed the battery too....so removed the battery and put it back on tobbaggon (wife waited in the sun filled truck cab) brought it back to the still woodstove warm cabin and hooked battery up to cabin generator and charged it up for half hour (and warmed it up) then with my heart condition walked back out with battery and brought along a bag of charcoal briquets and a large frying pan, and gas line antifreeze........we lit the charcoal briquets and placed it under the oil pan , and reinstalled battery........still no start, my wife then walked the mile out to highway to wave down a motorist for a boost........got one motorist, it was not enough , got a second one .
One of the motorist helpers took it upon himself to pour gas down carburator, before I had chance to remove red hot briquets from under oil pan,,,,,,,,,,almost had major fire, but the gas and double boost worked and finally truck started , it ran on a few cylinders for next ten miles into town and finally got back to normal...wife and I were very happy to see warm coffee shop !!

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #32  
Back January 74 -37F that morning chores took couple good hours but it took all day,water hole would freeze faster than it could be chop.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #33  
Amundsen Scott Research Station, Antarctica, -85 F. Had the new guys walk a course following a guide rope in shorts and tshirt, fortunately wind was blowing less than 10 mph. Walk takes about three minutes, so cold that it actually hurts. All the paths between buildings were well marked, when the wind picks up and the snow starts blowing around hard enough you can't see you feet, it's easy to get lost and could be deadly.

Q
OK. Dumb question. Why do the new guys have to walk 3 minutes in shorts and a t shirt in -85F weather? Also, once it is -85F does the wind chill really matter anymore.

At -85F wouldn't your skin freeze immediately upon contact?

Seems just plain weird to do that to anyone.

MoKelly

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ?
My wife and I had walked into our cabin near Wawa Ontario in February 2004 on the snowmachine trails and spent the weekend and then walked back out to our Dodge Dakota parked on a hydro access road. But when we did the one mile walk back to truck Sunday morning it was minus 45 degrees without windchill. Truck would not start, seemed like vapour lock but killed the battery too....so removed the battery and put it back on tobbaggon (wife waited in the sun filled truck cab) brought it back to the still woodstove warm cabin and hooked battery up to cabin generator and charged it up for half hour (and warmed it up) then with my heart condition walked back out with battery and brought along a bag of charcoal briquets and a large frying pan, and gas line antifreeze........we lit the charcoal briquets and placed it under the oil pan , and reinstalled battery........still no start, my wife then walked the mile out to highway to wave down a motorist for a boost........got one motorist, it was not enough , got a second one .
One of the motorist helpers took it upon himself to pour gas down carburator, before I had chance to remove red hot briquets from under oil pan,,,,,,,,,,almost had major fire, but the gas and double boost worked and finally truck started , it ran on a few cylinders for next ten miles into town and finally got back to normal...wife and I were very happy to see warm coffee shop !!
Gas a fire and jump starting x 2 , amazing !

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #35  
Fishing in below freezing weather off a dock in a lake. Was standing on a diving board to get a little deeper and lost track of where I was and walked off the board with pole in my hands. Water was so cold I couldn't breathe... all I could do was to try move over to the swim ladder and pull myself out before I went under... shed my boots and coat because they were way too heavy. Lost my fishing pole until next summer. Walked about a mile back to my cabin and my clothes I left on, froze along the way. Never do that again! :cold:

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #36  
T shirt and Shorts at -85*f in the Antarctic. Super jeebees, that would make your pecker shorten up. What ever was the reason for that exercise?

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #37  
Back January 74 -37F that morning chores took couple good hours but it took all day,water hole would freeze faster than it could be chop.

Back in the late 60's I can recall a few nights in Windsor, VT at -38 and having to carry water to the horses. Pail would freeze almost solid if the horses did not drink it right away.....
House door hinges would build an inch or so of ice on the inside.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #38  
It was late into the winter of '68-'69 when two stupid fellows (my boss & me) decided to drive to a meeting in Fairbanks, Ak from Anchorage, Ak. The one way driving distance is 360 miles and by the time those two fools arrived in Fairbanks - the big digital thermometer on Ak Nat Bank said -52F. We couldn't find a heated garage to park in so we had to keep his da*n car running the entire two days. He though it was funny - if I weren't so darn nice, he would have been shot and buried right there in Fairbanks.

/ What is the coldest you have ever been ? #40  
One night, NEW Years Eve, in Edmonton it was 50 below F, My dodge truck oil was frozen solid, but I didn't know it. Truck started, went back to wait for the cabin to warm. Neighbor phoned. He said your truck sounds pretty bad. It was the oil pump that failed. Totalled the engine. after it was checked, the oil pump gear drive woodruff key had sheared right off. Never saw oilf freeze solid before, but it does at that temp. KEE Kee birds were all out that nigjht..Kkee-kkee Kekeerhrist its cold out.