What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
Whether new or used, there are things IMHO that go beyond just the price and size and what you think you need, as a there are critical issues which need to be looked at. Like will this manufacturer be there when I need parts and service, to say nothing of it having financial troubles and being phased out by its parent company or ceasing operations altogether. What do the reviews show on this tractor manufacture from long term owners as well as satisfaction of new owners, as well as its track record. So to me, you have to look for a manufacture that is stable, having a good record on sales and service and great dealer support network to start with before you even look at the actual tractor. Find out what you can expect when you need help with the tractor, what does the MFG Warranty actually cover and what will the dealer do if there is a problem that cant be fixed on the tractor, and is there a escalation ladder for these critical issues.

So a good rule of thumb at least for me, is MFG stability, good dealer relationships and dealer support, and getting good feedback on sales and service, then looking at what you would call the actual tractor issues of reliability and performance, cost of ownership, and how it fits your need. I think I cover the basics, but everyone chime in on what I might have missed.

So what is everyone's view on the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #2  
For me, it is important to consider the whole situation. I agree that parts availability is crucial over time. There have been a lot of lower cost tractors that became orphans as years passed.

This issue is even worse if the tractor is prone to break and needs more repairs than tractors with better reliability.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #3  
And ,how long the dealer has been in business.My Kubota dealer is great and is in the third generation as a dealer.Have seen a lot of start-up and failures locally.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #4  
A new consideration is supply chain. One of the larger manufacture's seems to be struggling to repair tractors largely due to where their parts are coming from.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #5  
My first and best recommendation is: TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't fall in love or must have this unit attitude. It is a tool and not a life. I am always amazed how I can look at a tractor, equipment and go back and look again shocked to see how much I missed in designed or such. I agree with all above but will also suggest you look past the local dealer for they close for reasons such as death so look to next level of dealerships also. One of the big reasons I passed on Yanmar was outside of the nearest dealership it was over 100 miles to another dealership.
If not a true tractor dealer (lawn mower or uhaul or used car dealer) I would pass.

Sit the tractor, play with the levers, adjust the seat, steering wheel and does all those fit you? Are they smooth to operate? Is the fit natural to you, are you comfortable? Is it easy for you to get on and off of? From each side? Read the specs, compare weight of units. At least drive the tractor on their lot.

I have owned one Case, one JD and now own three Kubotas. To me the Case and JD were smoother operating tractors. They were heavier for same hp as the Kubotas were. so why do I have three Kubotas? Dealership is about 10 miles away, others about 45 miles away, price, and two smaller size options. See you have two of those brands now so sure you can understand some of that.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?
My first and best recommendation is: TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't fall in love or must have this unit attitude. It is a tool and not a life. I am always amazed how I can look at a tractor, equipment and go back and look again shocked to see how much I missed in designed or such. I agree with all above but will also suggest you look past the local dealer for they close for reasons such as death so look to next level of dealerships also. One of the big reasons I passed on Yanmar was outside of the nearest dealership it was over 100 miles to another dealership.
If not a true tractor dealer (lawn mower or uhaul or used car dealer) I would pass.

Sit the tractor, play with the levers, adjust the seat, steering wheel and does all those fit you? Are they smooth to operate? Is the fit natural to you, are you comfortable? Is it easy for you to get on and off of? From each side? Read the specs, compare weight of units. At least drive the tractor on their lot.

I have owned one Case, one JD and now own three Kubotas. To me the Case and JD were smoother operating tractors. They were heavier for same hp as the Kubotas were. so why do I have three Kubotas? Dealership is about 10 miles away, others about 45 miles away, price, and two smaller size options. See you have two of those brands now so sure you can understand some of that.
The only thing I missed when checking the Kubotas was the noise, I thought it was just that particular tractor or model line, but its looking like they make a good amount of noise when you give it power..

Last edited:
   / What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor?
A new consideration is supply chain. One of the larger manufacture's seems to be struggling to repair tractors largely due to where their parts are coming from.
Thats a good point, its having a real affect across the board...

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #8  
I’d say one thing people don’t do is look ahead. How will you be using that tractor ten years from now? My first tractor was a Kubota BX. A great tractor, but small, I finally realized it was to small and bought a larger JD.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #9  
I’d say the paint. If it’s not green, then I would shop somewhere else.

/ What is the most important things to look for when buying a tractor? #10  
I’d say the paint. If it’s not green, then I would shop somewhere else.
You beat me to it!!!!

Color should be the only consideration, lol

Mike